Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default nhs.net on my Blackberry

For those of you in the UK and work in the NHS - How do I configure my BB to work with nhs.net

I got this error message

"Your attempt to configure the BlackBerry Internet Service to deliver mail to your BlackBerry device from this email account was unsuccessful. This email provides instructions to help with the email account set up.

You submitted the following information:
    Account Type: POP3/IMAP
    Email Address: xxxx.xxxx@nhs.net
    User Name: xxxx.xxxxx
    Password: ****** (For security the password is not displayed.)
    Mail Server: eas.nhs.net

Please confirm the information. Refer to the instructions below for help in determining the correct information. After confirming the information, log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service site and try again.

POP & IMAP Accounts
    Internet Service Provider email accounts are commonly either POP or IMAP accounts. You need the following information:
    Note: You can find out this information from either your desktop email application or your Internet Service Provider:
    Email Address:Your email address
    for example, user@ISPname.com
    Server: The name of the Mail Server
    for example, mail.ISPname.com
    User Name: The portion of the email address before the "@" symbol
    for example, patrickmoser in the address patrickmoser@ISPname.com
    Password: The password for your account

The BlackBerry Internet Service site provides a utility you can download to help set-up your email account. This small application searches your computer for configured email accounts and provides BlackBerry Internet Service with these settings. To download this application:

From your desktop browser, log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service account. Refer to the documentation provided by your Wireless Service Provider for the web URL.
    On the Email Accounts page, select Add Account.
    When prompted, type your email address and password. Click Next.
    Select I use Microsoft® Outlook™ or Outlook Express™. Click Next.
    Click Download and follow the on-screen instructions.

If you are still having difficulties adding your email account, visit the online help on the BlackBerry Internet Service site

TIA if anyone knows
    Last edited by cabletow; 06-17-2010 at 04:10 AM.
  2. wnm
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,912 Global Posts
    PIN
    K Pussycat Boutique

Do they us MS Exchange server or something similar?
    No one can hear you scream in cyberspace.
    ------
    Democracy: A form of government where the leader is chosen by popularity rather than the ability to run a country.
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I think so yes - They use MS Exchange server - I can get it on a Win Mobile device but not through Blackberry
  4. wnm

Global Posts
    7,912 Global Posts
    PIN
    K Pussycat Boutique

Can you access your Outlook account from outside NHS say on your home computer using IE?

In advanced email setup should be able to enter the exchange server name. It should be something like this: mail.companyname.com/exchange or mail.nhs.net/exchange. It should then ask you for your OL profile and password.
    No one can hear you scream in cyberspace.
    ------
    Democracy: A form of government where the leader is chosen by popularity rather than the ability to run a country.
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Did this ever get sorted?

I'm having a problem adding it through BIS too. There is the option to use 'Outlook Web Access' which is what NHSmail uses (Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access) but nothing I try to enter works :S

It asks for:

email address: firstname.surname@nhs.net
    password: password
    Outlook Web Access URL: http://www.nhs.net
    user name: firstname.surname
    mailbox name: firstname.surname

which I have entered as above but its not playing ball

Any help would be really excellent!!

Thanks!

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

If everything you try doesn't work, use the bolt browser or opera mini, if that fails, just use a computer.

Also, if it doesn't work at all on your computer, I will suggest giving technical support a phone call, or e-mail them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    4 x 5532349

Y'see what problems socialized healthcare gets ya?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point

you can use OWA ( outlook web access) to sync bb.
    just put the owa address and rest of details
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

the NHS have blocked OWA - The only way I can get it is through a thrid party Sync - This is because the NHS want - Password protection manditorily and the ability to wipe your phone - as you may have data which is patient sensitive.

As all my nhs.net emails are only health authosity sensitive this rings rather hollow - but sadly I have paid up and use notify sync
    CrackBerry Newbie

Sounds like this sucks

I've attached a screendump (minus personal info of course!) of the web access you get outside of the NHS network (ie, when you log on at home or in an internet cafe, etc...)

As you can see, this uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access. You can access NHSmail on the iPhone for free There must be a way to use the Microsoft Outlook Exchange option in the BIS surely
  11. ixa
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by zim_zimmer View Post
    Sounds like this sucks

I've attached a screendump (minus personal info of course!) of the web access you get outside of the NHS network (ie, when you log on at home or in an internet cafe, etc...)

As you can see, this uses Microsoft Outlook Web Access. You can access NHSmail on the iPhone for free There must be a way to use the Microsoft Outlook Exchange option in the BIS surely
    If you can access it remotely from any PC, then surely it should work with BIS.

email address: firstname.surname@nhs.net
    password: password
    Outlook Web Access URL: http://www.nhs.net
    user name: firstname.surname
    mailbox name: firstname.surname

Thanks!
    One thing that is definately wrong out of those is the URL. By looking at the screenshot above, the URL seems to be https://web.nhs.net/portal

You can try that, though the OWA URL might be different. In that screenshot you have an NHS bar at the top, so I think it might the OWA page in a frame inside of that page. Thus showing the general nhs portal URL in the address bar and not the OWA one.

If you right click "Address Book" near the top and click copy link or copy shortcut it should give you the URL you need. Just cut off the address book part of the URL (it'll be something like ?ae=Dialog&t=AddressBook&ctx=1)

Also if you login using internet explorer you should get the full OWA interface, not the simple one that other browsers use.
    In the full interface, once logged in you can see all you folders on the side (Deleted items, Inbox, Junk etc) and at the top of it all will be your mailbox name. All your folders will be sub'd under it. Mine is my name
    Last edited by ixa; 10-13-2010 at 06:53 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

This is what I get if I hover over the mailbox in IE. Not sure it really tells me much to be honest!?

What do you reckon?

CrackBerry Newbie

Anyone know
    CrackBerry Master

From what I can tell looking at the links and from others that have had issues accessing this system, their OWA interface is behind a firewall that has a web-based proxy you have to log into FIRST (the "Portal" page) to get to the OWA interface.

BIS servers can't get through that roadblock to get to the OWA landing page.
    iPhone Users are probably connecting with ActiveSynch. That's not supported on BB's as they want you to pay for the BES server.

I would contact the admins of your email system, and ask them for the IMAP or POP configuration settings and add the mailbox manually through the BIS web interface.

If they do not support IMAP or POP, then ask them to open it. If not, I really don't see this working.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Ok NHS peeps, I think this is a no go on a Blackberry

As WolfmanRobby said above it does use Activesync as the 'go between' to the server. So unless RIM introduce Activesync into their devices then NHSmail is always going to be unachievable unless you BUY another app to run it through!!

All in all, basically it sucks!! Sort it out RIM :x
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

As said before, it uses ActiveSync. In our trust they can give us something called NotifySync for our Berries which will sync NHS.net so you might wanna check with your tech guys there. Otherwise you'll have to pay for it.
    CrackBerry Master

All in all, basically it sucks!! Sort it out RIM :x
    That's not a RIM thing to sort out. It's MicroSoft.

Why give away ActiveSync when they make money off the BES connector licensing. Yeah, you buy BES from RIM, but the $$ goes to Microsoft.

RIM has sorted it out. They have other options, but the admins of the mail server need to sort it out on their end.
    -Remove the Proxy in front of the OWA portal and BIS can connect to OWA
    -Open up POP or IMAP and SMTP through the firewall for those users to add their mailboxes in BIS.

But, MS is loving milking the $$$ from RIM for the BES too much to let go.
    CrackBerry Newbie

So basically it all sucks!!

Its a shame really. The trust I work for uses BES but I haven't got one of their BBs so haven't been given a licence for that either. I know a few people in IT so I'll see if I can blag something or at least claim the fee back if I have to pay for it.

Shame about it though, considering major manufacturers like Nokia and Apple can do it for free
    CrackBerry Master

Shame about it though, considering major manufacturers like Nokia and Apple can do it for free
    BES is the Server technology used to connect BlackBerry phones to Exchange.

iPhones, Windows Mobile Phones, Nokias use ActiveSynch. And they don't do it for free. Just like there is server side licensing for BES, there is a licensing fee for ActiveSynch as well.

On our hosted Exchange, adding ActiveSynch or BES to a mailbox is an additional $10 a month fee, per mailbox.

They only FREE ways are POP/IMAP or OWA and BlackBerry, Iphone, Nokia all can use those provided the server admins set it up.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default NHS.net email on Blackberry

There is an application called NotifySync, if that is installed on you Blackberry you can configure you NHS.net email account on it. Check http://www.nhs.notifysync.co.uk/nhsdownload. I hope this would answer your question.