Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "Media card removed" error - hardware?

Hi, I'm new here and hope to validate my gloomy intuition.

Got my new Bold 9700 yesterday, and several times a day since then, I get the annoying message "media card removed", followed immediately by another message telling me that a new media card has been installed, and my media files will be automatically updated.

It seems to be a hardware issue, as I have replicated the problem by holding the phone with my index finger pressing lightly onto the area around the media card. It reminds me of the "death grip" issue that iPhone has, except this affects the media card instead of the antenna.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Is it a media card problem, or a handset problem? Should I just exchange it for a new one (I just got it yesterday).
    CrackBerry Abuser

is the media card pushed in all the way? is there dust in that area? try blowing on it maybe dust is just in between the contacts, if those dont work its probably hardware issue
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yes, it's all the way in. Pulled it out and pushed it back in several times. Tried to wipe it with clean cloth to remove any potential dust. Nothing.

It seems to be sensitive to being grabbed in certain spots. Probably a connectivity issue on the handheld itself. I was just looking to see if anyone else has had similar problems and whether they were able to resolve them.

Thanks.
  4. Matrix Leader

I got 4 media cards repolaced........then I finally bought my own theyre so cheap anyway.....

the media cards supplied by stock are crap
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Default Thanks for the tip, Matrix.

I tried to remove and reinsert one last time this afternoon and hasn't happened again since (about 5 hours... a new record). If it continues to happen, I'll try to purchase one on my own and try that for a couple of days. Otherwise, I think I'll try and get the whole thing replaced.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I'm going to keep building up on memory cards, as I could sure use them, sometimes I don't like using my camcorder and so, I use both 1 and 2GB memory cards. If you want, you could send me some of them for free if they don't work lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  7. Matrix Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Tecsim View Post
    I tried to remove and reinsert one last time this afternoon and hasn't happened again since (about 5 hours... a new record). If it continues to happen, I'll try to purchase one on my own and try that for a couple of days. Otherwise, I think I'll try and get the whole thing replaced.
    Im glad it worked now buddy.

If it didn't I tell ya, 98% chance its the memory card as BBs rarely have a bad memory card slot
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
    98% chance its the memory card as BBs rarely have a bad memory card slot
    True. I can't recall hearing anyone else having problems with their memory card slot on the 9700.

Global Posts
    35,488 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

There's definitely been a few issues with the card slot, but not many. The cards themselves, damn near never.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

It's likely a hardware issue. Since you just got the phone, you should probably get it exchanged. I've never had a problem with a SanDisk memory card and doubt it's the reason behind your troubles.

Global Posts
    35,488 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

+1........
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Newbie

Wink Media Card - suggested solutions

There've been lots of unique symptoms described in these forums, all related to the media card suddenly not being seen, or a "fatal error", or whatever... Suggested solutions have included:

a) cold reboot device (phone on, battery removed, 30 seconds, replace)
    b) re-format (via phone, or remove and reformat via PC and then again, via phone)
    c) reinstall OS on phone
    d) go to disk mgmt and assign or re-assign drive letter

I tried the first, and it worked! Then, it stopped working again. Someone here suggested the contacts weren't touching fully inside the SD slot. So:

e) I took a very tiny piece of paper and inserted it with the SDHC card, above the card, so that it would press every-so-slightly down on the contacts when inserted. And it worked!

And it still works 24 hours later... Thank God. Suddenly no more msgs like "media card removed", etc. Just music, lots of music.

Hardware. Try it. Good luck.
    Edit/Delete Message
    Thanked by:
    rhsmith (02-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

I've been having the exact same thing happen to me. Ive tried cleaning the card, getting compressed air to make sure no dust was in the SD slot. And still I am getting the same problem; sometimes it will stay "in" for a couple days sometimes it will bug out ever 30seconds.

I have no idea what the problem is, the phone itself or the card.

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by rbeattiex View Post
    I've been having the exact same thing happen to me. Ive tried cleaning the card, getting compressed air to make sure no dust was in the SD slot. And still I am getting the same problem; sometimes it will stay "in" for a couple days sometimes it will bug out ever 30seconds.

I have no idea what the problem is, the phone itself or the card.
    Donno if this was asked twice, but did you try the card in some other device? If you did and it worked fine, it's your blackberry.

CrackBerry User

I had the same problem with my Curve 8530 and after doing a lot of searching online I found out it was related to BBM. I updated my BBM app and the error is gone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had similar problems with my newly purchased BB9700
    it turned out to be the mute button on the top right of the device, when pressed it toggled the sd card off, repress it and it toggled it on :-(( took me friggin ages to work this out, but relief the cause has been found ( in my case anyway ) hope this might help a few otheirs too.

does anyone know how to reassign the key to something usefull

PIN

Maybe try connecting your blackberry to your computer and launching desktop manager to check for updates to the OS and then updating it that way? It's probably a glitch.

CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy357 View Post
    True. I can't recall hearing anyone else having problems with their memory card slot on the 9700.
    I did - got mine second hand from Ebay and it wouldn't recognise any of my memory cards. Eventually found a new memory card module on Ebay for a tenner. Fifteen minute job to open the phone and replace the module and everything working fine now.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thumbs up Finally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krsnaberry View Post
    e) I took a very tiny piece of paper and inserted it with the SDHC card, above the card, so that it would press every-so-slightly down on the contacts when inserted. And it worked!

And it still works 24 hours later... Thank God. Suddenly no more msgs like "media card removed", etc. Just music, lots of music.

Hardware. Try it. Good luck.
    The paper tricked worked for me after 3 weeks of fighting with this issue! I tried multiple media cards, all failed. Thought it was the media slot and was just about to go exchange my phone when I found this trick. Turns out it was the slot. The contacts aren't high enough, but with the paper pushing the card down onto the contacts it works.
    My torch is perfect now!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Same

Also have this happening to me, dont know how to stop, tried everything even taking the phone apart and pushing it in a bit.. none of these things work.

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Dzintars Romans View Post
    Also have this happening to me, dont know how to stop, tried everything even taking the phone apart and pushing it in a bit.. none of these things work.
    Year old thread, but man, you need to get a new blackberry since the repair shop can't replace the part.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)