Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    PIN
    27EED20C
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default i dropped my new 9700...

The inevitable happened at last.

I accidentally dropped it from the sink to the floor, good thing it was inside my OEM 8900 holster. It looked fine, no visible damage I can see so far. Did a battery pull just to make sure everything is working fine and to just give it a fresh restart.

When It restarted I noticed the wifi icon wasn't on so I turned it on and suddenly the screen went blank and restarted on its own, it happened twice so I decided to reload the OS(.351).

After that it was A-OK! As far as I know... Big thanks to that holster. Which one u guys think is better btw? The bold holster that comes with the 9700 or the OEM 8900 one? I never use the Bold one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    PIN
    t of cider please

Really glad you're up and running with no damage. My preference is the OEM 8900 holster as it seems a good snug fit and slides in and out of pockets nicely.Sold the 8900 and sent the bold holster with it always thought of it as ugly anyway.
    Bold 9900 7.0.0.440
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask for it :)

I'm glad she survived the fall I'm just curious on what would have caused that problem.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,453 Global Posts

Every month, my partner and I bring all the sales reps from all our stores to a conference center for a get-together where we go over the past month's results and go over future targets, promos etc. Last week I had a rep from blackberry do a little presentation for the staff .(We own a chain of retail stores--cellular). Among other things, this guy covered the topic of blackberry's legendary toughness. If you guys had been there to see him whip BBs on the ground and power them up to show how resilient they are..... You would never again worry about ur unit.
    Granted-- this guy has an endless supply of demos and probably couldn't care less if one blows up on him but it was hilarious to see... Especially as a big and long time bb user myself.
    Moral of the story-- dissector13--don't sweat it my friend!! :-)

Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    19,787 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

I dropped my 8703 more times than I can tell you!

However, I do keep my 9700 in its original case at all times when I'm not using it. It an obsession...my husband dumped a cup of coffee on his 9000 so I'm really careful with my 9700. I mean, I use it all the time, but I see no need to temp fate.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    PIN
    iMessenger

Im extremely OC about my Berries. Like most I take extra precautions-screen protector, Incipio case, etc. I dont see how people can spend that much money on a device and then abuse it. maybe Im too cautious, but hey, Ive only dropped one of my Berries three times in the four years Ive been using them, and each time they were in a Seidio or Otter.
    iPhone 4S Jailbroken
    iPad 3rd Generation Jailbroken
    Apple TV
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    PIN
    27EED20C
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thx for all the replies guys^^. @tedzone wow I can't believe BBs have really good durability lol, well when I had my 8900 I dropped it quite a lot of times but for my 9700 I get soo worried cuz maybe its still new and all.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,547 Global Posts

I use the Seidio Innocase II or the Seidio Spring clip holster for protection. You can never be too careful. I like having my device looking nice.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

I've dropped the 9700 as well as my other phones of the past and the performace of the phones wasn't affected in the very least.

CrackBerry Addict

I dropped an old 8700 down a flight of metal stairs a few years ago. Took a chunk out of the plastic body but the BB kept on ticking. It didn't even turn-off.

The IT dept. put some hockey tape on it to cover the hole. LOL
    CrackBerry Addict

My 9700 has hit the ground from the holster at least 15 times now...I don't even get worried anymore...one of these days it will probably be busted...it doesn't even look very bad though

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    PIN
    iMessenger

Quote Originally Posted by LSCUP7187 View Post
    My 9700 has hit the ground from the holster at least 15 times now...I don't even get worried anymore...one of these days it will probably be busted...it doesn't even look very bad though

I would have had 15 heart attacks
    iPhone 4S Jailbroken
    iPad 3rd Generation Jailbroken
    Apple TV
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by LSCUP7187 View Post

I would've wrapped mines in bubble wrap by now.

I've had my phone for a day and I'm super over protective about it. It will sit on a pillow until I get my otterbox in the mail.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Whew...what a close call. That's exactly why I bought an OtterBox case. I'd prefer this 9700 last me well into 2011.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,220 Global Posts
    PIN
    ky toes! :)

Having dropped my 9700 many times, I am very grateful that I have a case. Glad yours is okay
    CrackBerry User

Berrys are tanks gotta love em! Haha they'll stick it out for you to the end

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    PIN
    27EED20C
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by JGP92 View Post
    Berrys are tanks gotta love em! Haha they'll stick it out for you to the end

I know they are solid! But I still don't get why some people get defective devices sometimes, its like RIM didn't even checked their units before being shipped :/

Again thx for your replies! And big thanks to the holsters too for protecting our BBs!!

CrackBerry Abuser

Yeah they r solid! I dropped my curve 8520 when gettin out of a SUV I forgot it was on my lap, and it landed on asphalt I was so worried that I broke it, but everything was fine except a little scratch on the top corner

CrackBerry User

For me, as long as the LCD is not cracked, I can get it replace under warranty anytime for a brand new unit.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

my 8320 i dropped allll the time.. massivve scratches
    ive had my 9700 for about a month now... and have been VERY careful
    well last night was the due day... dropped it right out of my hand onto the concrete...
    first owwwie
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by tedzone View Post
    Every month, my partner and I bring all the sales reps from all our stores to a conference center for a get-together where we go over the past month's results and go over future targets, promos etc. Last week I had a rep from blackberry do a little presentation for the staff .(We own a chain of retail stores--cellular). Among other things, this guy covered the topic of blackberry's legendary toughness. If you guys had been there to see him whip BBs on the ground and power them up to show how resilient they are..... You would never again worry about ur unit.
    Granted-- this guy has an endless supply of demos and probably couldn't care less if one blows up on him but it was hilarious to see... Especially as a big and long time bb user myself.
    Moral of the story-- dissector13--don't sweat it my friend!! :-)

I'm not a bb rep but I can tell you my bold 9000 got thrown as far as you can throw it tumbling on cement. Got it, booted it up. Worked fine. And it still works 100%

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,453 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markaveli420 View Post
    Yeah they r solid! I dropped my curve 8520 when gettin out of a SUV I forgot it was on my lap, and it landed on asphalt I was so worried that I broke it, but everything was fine except a little scratch on the top corner

Hahahahaa. The old "I forgot my phone on my lap" drop. That's a classic. Everyone has dropped a phone that way!!! Then you beat youself--CRAP!!! How could I be so stupid?!?!? LOL. Been there :-)

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    :) nicely ask.

This is why I'm 100% in love with my epik skin (:

Banned

Global Posts
    6,600 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Have not dropped a Berry in years and HATE cases that stay on the phone while using it. It is a tool to be used and will not gain value over time. These are not investments, in a year we will be looking at the 9950, maybe sooner!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

wow well I'm glad ur still up and running. I dropped my old 8900 on concrete many more times than I'm proud to admit haha. My 9700 is brand new, getting an otterbox commuter case tomorrow and not worrying about it as much after that
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast