CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How often should I pull my battery

I've been reading a lot about people that have problems and in alot of these case a battery pull is a possible recommended fix.

My 9700 runs fine.

The question I have is should I still pull it once in a while (i.e. once a month or so) even though I don't have any problems? Can I go months or years without pulling it if I have no problems?

Is pulling like rebooting your computer and it should be done once in a while whether needed or not?

Are there those who pull it regularily just ot keep these BB in shape so to speak?

Thanks

Global Posts
    30,955 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Battery Pull is a hard reset, and is really only required to correct a fault in the newer devices.

Use it when you need to, or do it daily, it's up to the individual.

And yes, it is just like fully rebooting a computer. When doing one, power must be on when you pull the battery, so that all the circuitry resets.

It will also help recover the memory 'fragments' that become unusable during normal usage over a period of time. Battery Pulls were more necessary in older devices that had much smaller memory capacity, and especially before the newer OSes became better at memory management.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-31-2010 at 02:37 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would say once a week. Keeps it all fresh and smooth.
    "And if you don't know now you know..."
    -C. Wallace
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,199 Global Posts

only if you face a serious problem with your device.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,237 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B630F1E

You can schedule a QuickPull to do it whilst you sleep.... I have it done every Sunday morning at 5am so the week ahead is on a clean device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would recommend you to do a soft reset rather than a battery pull (hard reset). A soft reset is like going to your start menu on a PC and pressing shut down, then choosing the restart option.

A battery pull would be comparable to pulling the power cable off the wall while you're working on your PC.

I would recommend only to do a battery pull after you have done a soft reset and that didn't fix your problem. A soft reset fixes 99% of all issues.

Just press alt, the right shift key and delete at the same time for a soft reset. Your 9700 will start rebooting after a few seconds.
    CrackBerry User

Definitely check out quickpull in the bb app world. Its not really that much quicker but saves wear and tear on your device. P.S. Mine runs fine too XD

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Florian100 View Post
    I would recommend you to do a soft reset rather than a battery pull (hard reset). A soft reset is like going to your start menu on a PC and pressing shut down, then choosing the restart option.

A battery pull would be comparable to pulling the power cable off the wall while you're working on your PC.

I would recommend only to do a battery pull after you have done a soft reset and that didn't fix your problem. A soft reset fixes 99% of all issues.

Just press alt, the right shift key and delete at the same time for a soft reset. Your 9700 will start rebooting after a few seconds.
    im fairly new to blackberries, and i thought what you said was true (at first), then i learned from others that alt shift delete doesnt clear your memory, it just restarts it and leaves it in the same state. maybe the people just didnt know what they were talking about.

when i looked at my free memory, i did a restart using alt shift delete, and checked memory again, it remained the same.

when i tested again with quickpull, i actually got more free memory. (maybe coincidence)

after that, i came to the conclusion that...battery pull/quick pull is equivalent to computer's shutdown>restart. and that there is nothing equivalent to a computer's pull out the plug while on.

and that blackberry alt shift del is equivalent to right clicking the desktop, and clicking refresh. which i believe does absolutely nothing. lol.

dont quote me on it, feel free to correct me.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

FWIW i recomend taking advantage of the "auto off/on" to help keep everything in working order. it will turn off the phone at a certain time. and i recommend using the alt+caps+delete trick to do a soft reset. quick pull has FUBARd my 8100, 8310 and 8900, so i have a bad taste for it. as far as "battery pulls" i havent done a battery pull since .442 came out on the Onyx. 99.9% of all battery pulls can be avoided. by using programs like FixMoTools, Kisses, and just plain old closing programs you arent using.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    HTC | Glacier | Powered by Cyanogen(mod) | CM7N86 | OC 1.2giggahurts
    Asus Netbook | Powered by Linux 11.04
    Nook Color | Powered by Cyanogen(mod) | CM7.0.3 | OC 925giggahurts
    Apple 3rd Gen iPod Touch bone frakking stock
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,948 Global Posts
    PIN
    is available upon request.

The difference (to my knowlege) is this.

On a PC if you yank the cord, everything just STOPS. Keep in mind your hard drive is still spinning away, and the data head on it is still moving back and forth as it works. If you use the menu to restart your PC, the software prepares the computer to go into a shutdown. The data head parks, the hard drive spins down (among other things) in preperation for shut down. As far as I know (which isn't as much as others on here) THAT is the big difference between yanking the cord on a PC and doing an actual shutdown through the start menu

On a Blackberry, ALT-Shift-Del is a soft reset, BUT it needs to be keyed in again once the device powers up (when it gets to the white screen) to gain the full advantage of it.
    A Battery pull (either done for real, or simulated with software) will do the same as a double reset (above)

However, keep in mind, if you remove the battery from the device you are eliminating all power from the device, and therefore is the BEST way to clear an error. If you are just looking to keep your device fresh, quickpull or a double reset via keyboard is just fine.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

Quicklaunch gives you the ability to reboot your phone.

NikkiSoft - makers of QuickLaunch BlackBerry Shortcuts and App Launcher

When I had my 8320 I use to go through a maintenance routine every day.
    • MESSAGES -> Options -> Email Reconciliation -> Menu -> Purge Deleted Items
    • BROWSER -> Options -> Cache Operations -> Clear everything except cookies
    • OPTIONS -> Security Options -> Advanced Security Options -> Memory Cleaning -> Menu -> Clean Now (This can be assigned to Quicklaunch)
    • ALT LGLG -> Menu -> Clear Log (This can be assigned to Quicklaunch)
    • Pull Battery (This can be assigned to Quicklaunch)
    All this being said I don't do it as often with the 9700 because of the extra memory. I might do it once a week now.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Abuser

you don't ever NEED to do a regular battery pull until you experience problems.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    Battery Pull is a hard reset, and is really only required to correct a fault in the newer devices.

Use it when you need to, or do it daily, it's up to the individual.

And yes, it is just like fully rebooting a computer. When doing one, power must be on when you pull the battery, so that all the circuitry resets.

It will also help recover the memory 'fragments' that become unusable during normal usage over a period of time. Battery Pulls were more necessary in older devices that had much smaller memory capacity, and especially before the newer OSes became better at memory management.
    Thank for the advice.
    But I didn't realize that the battery pull involved pulling the battery while the BB is powered on. Sounds kind of rough for the BB.

So doing a battery pull with the power on actually yields different results from first powering down and then doing a battery pull?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    NER

never if you can help it
    Bold 9700
    OS 5.0.0.680
    CrackBerry Abuser

Definitely liking these helpful "maintenance routines" !!!

On my 9000, I only did the ALT + LGLG. I never really knew about the others. I would occasionally do the BROWSER clean-up, but did not know about MESSAGES & MEMORY CLEANING.

Thanks so much! Just did them on my 9700. Let's hope it does some "good!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheBronx View Post
    Quicklaunch gives you the ability to reboot your phone.

NikkiSoft - makers of QuickLaunch BlackBerry Shortcuts and App Launcher

When I had my 8320 I use to go through a maintenance routine every day.
    • MESSAGES -> Options -> Email Reconciliation -> Menu -> Purge Deleted Items
    • BROWSER -> Options -> Cache Operations -> Clear everything except cookies
    • OPTIONS -> Security Options -> Advanced Security Options -> Memory Cleaning -> Menu -> Clean Now (This can be assigned to Quicklaunch)
    • ALT LGLG -> Menu -> Clear Log (This can be assigned to Quicklaunch)
    • Pull Battery (This can be assigned to Quicklaunch)

All this being said I don't do it as often with the 9700 because of the extra memory. I might do it once a week now.
    ΧΊΧ[[--::KN::--]]ΧΊΧ
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    PM The Hitman

I do one once a day which is set through meterberry

CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,603 Global Posts

It is also a good idea to pull the battery after downloading a new theme.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks for all the great tips... especially the maintenance schedule! I am downloading QL now to see if it can help clear the memory automatically
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by westfri9 View Post
    How do you program QL to do it automatically? I have it on my QL menu but I have to press it manually
    I think it depends on which version of QL you have. As I recall the free one doesn't have the automatic reboot on schedule but the paid version does.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    The difference (to my knowlege) is this.

On a PC if you yank the cord, everything just STOPS. Keep in mind your hard drive is still spinning away, and the data head on it is still moving back and forth as it works. If you use the menu to restart your PC, the software prepares the computer to go into a shutdown. The data head parks, the hard drive spins down (among other things) in preperation for shut down. As far as I know (which isn't as much as others on here) THAT is the big difference between yanking the cord on a PC and doing an actual shutdown through the start menu

On a Blackberry, ALT-Shift-Del is a soft reset, BUT it needs to be keyed in again once the device powers up (when it gets to the white screen) to gain the full advantage of it.
    A Battery pull (either done for real, or simulated with software) will do the same as a double reset (above)

However, keep in mind, if you remove the battery from the device you are eliminating all power from the device, and therefore is the BEST way to clear an error. If you are just looking to keep your device fresh, quickpull or a double reset via keyboard is just fine.
    THATS it right there, thats the way u can do it, without quickpull, the DOUBLE RESET, i cant believe i forgot all about that.
    CrackBerry User

Smile 5am pull

Quote Originally Posted by kevinnugent View Post
    You can schedule a QuickPull to do it whilst you sleep.... I have it done every Sunday morning at 5am so the week ahead is on a clean device.
    Had my 8320 for 18 months and never pulled battery once.
    Now on my 9700 and as i am on a 24 month conrtact would like to keep it all clean, i like the idea of the 5am pull.

How do i go about this?

Thanks
    To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research
  22. 701
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

Since I got the 9700 I didn't need to do any pulls (I use QuickPull Lite) because it has plenty of memory.Maybe once a week you could set a QP Lite reset, just to refresh the RAM.
    " They say I'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
    Proud (and newbie no more) owner of a Blackberry Bold, then a Bold 9700 and now an HTC Desire HD!
    Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
    Read my BlackBerry, Android and Symbian - UIQ 3.0 reviews at Bograma's
    Contributing to the public BlackBerry knowledge at with BlackBerry Answers
  23. 701
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lol-at-life View Post
    Had my 8320 for 18 months and never pulled battery once.
    Now on my 9700 and as i am on a 24 month conrtact would like to keep it all clean, i like the idea of the 5am pull.

How do i go about this?

Thanks
    Look for Quick Pull Lite,it's free.
    " They say I'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
    Proud (and newbie no more) owner of a Blackberry Bold, then a Bold 9700 and now an HTC Desire HD!
    Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
    Read my BlackBerry, Android and Symbian - UIQ 3.0 reviews at Bograma's
    Contributing to the public BlackBerry knowledge at with BlackBerry Answers