Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How much should I expect to pay for a broken Bold 9700?

I have a good Bold 9700, but the outer casing is all f***** up. I am thinking of replacing the outer casing with an OEM case. I am not sure if an OEM casing parts can be purchased, so I am thinking of buying a broken Bold and then swap the case.

How much should I pay for a broken Bold with good condition outer case? I need to change everything, from bezel, chassis, top part (the lock plastic is broken, but phone can still lock), maybe even keyboard as the keyboard is worn out so some letters are fading.

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I usually just buy housings on ebay. I just did a quick search and you could be paying up to $30 for an oem housing. Make sure that you take a good look at the actual pictures to make sure they look as "legit" as possible because some people will list "oems" at a very low price. That being said, it does not mean the most expensive one will be oem. Now, even if you do get non-oem parts, it should generally feel the same. I know someone who got a purple housing for her 9700 and it was definitely not oem, the feel was fine but the keyboard was garbage. I would not recommend buying "colored" keyboards because they probably weren't manufactured by BlackBerry. Good luck!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

How can I tell the difference between OEM housing and aftermarket? Also do you have any instruction on how to take off the housing and put it back on? Last question, how much is OEM LCD and how hard is it to replace the LCD? I am thinking of completely change the phone from black to white as my LCD is also a bit scratched.

The phone itself is fully functional, trackpad works fine, every button works fine, just the housing is all banged up.

Thanks.
    Banned

You need change new LCD for your 9700
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm not an expert with housing but I just used my common sense when I bought housings off ebay. If you see that the BB logo is missing on the housing, its obviously aftermarket. if you think the icons look funny, its probably aftermarket. I would search for "oem 9700 housing" on ebay to narrow it down. I like to make sure the seller has good feedback as you won't be the first person buying from them. Checking reviews for a 9700 from the seller would be really helpful in making your decision.

For the LCD, you MUST be careful! You have to take the LCD out first on your old phone and look at the back and make sure you order a compatible screen. My friend didn't do that and had to order two screens for his 9700 because he didn't check for the model #. Keep in mind that OEM LCD are tough to find as well. There is almost no way to tell (I think) if it is OEM or not on ebay. I bought my gf a 9360 screen off ebay and once i started it up, everything became abit "whiter". I think I spent about $40 for her LCD, you can probably find ones for 9700s abit cheaper. I would just think if you really needed one or not. I had to get her one cuz her screen got crushed.

Good luck!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    I have a good Bold 9700, but the outer casing is all f***** up. I am thinking of replacing the outer casing with an OEM case. I am not sure if an OEM casing parts can be purchased, so I am thinking of buying a broken Bold and then swap the case.

How much should I pay for a broken Bold with good condition outer case? I need to change everything, from bezel, chassis, top part (the lock plastic is broken, but phone can still lock), maybe even keyboard as the keyboard is worn out so some letters are fading.

Thanks.
    Have you looked up cnn.cn
    OEM 9700, you can even update/upgrade to an all black 9780

If your needing to replace the LCD, IMHO you'd be better off buying a 2nd hand one (of course if you had the cash to splash)
    This posting is provided as is and implies no warranties.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I checked out this one listing

Blackberry Bold 9700 Original Full Housing Black USA Seller | eBay

It looks OEM, but the keyboard is Chinese...
    CrackBerry Abuser

It looks pretty good to me. I mean, if it isn't OEM then you are out 15 bucks. He has pretty good feedback so it should be okay. I forgot about cnn.cn, but if you want something cheap, the one you found is pretty good imo. Hope it works out for you.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameson View Post
    I checked out this one listing

Blackberry Bold 9700 Original Full Housing Black USA Seller | eBay

It looks OEM, but the keyboard is Chinese...
    As posted above it looks ok. The Chinese symbol doesn't detract. Alternatively you could just use the old kb or ask the seller if they have std qwerty kb's for sale.
    This posting is provided as is and implies no warranties.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

the old kb is banged up as well, the chrome paint is peeling, basically I want to refurbish the phone and change everything except the main board. LCD maybe as well because while it's working but it has some deep scratches. Now the scratches are masked because of the anti spy LCD protector, but I read that changing LCD is a bit tricky.

btw, anyone has any repair manual on changing the BB housing? Thanks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I like using youtube vids so you can see exactly what you have to do to the phone. There are tons on youtube, but here is one from cnn.cn.

CrackBerry Abuser

on eBay you can find the best deals. Just make sure it says OEM in the title or OEM in the description. Also it helps if you don't buy from China, because usually those are aftermarkets.

If a buyer has good feedback and he lists an item as OEM, then 99% of the time its OEM