Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to Instructions: Replacing Blackberry 9700 Full Housing

Hello,

I recently purchased a full housing kit on ebay for my 9700. It comes with the front, back and middle pieces. Anyone know how to change this yourself? I have looked on youtube, but they are not very informative. I found a dissasemble one and the others don't show how to replace the middle piece. If anyone can please give me a step by step process, so I don't screw up my phone I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Gina
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Before you change your housing or even think about taking apart your blackberry...

1. Your manufacturer's warranty will be void.
    2. You won't be able to get a replacement unit or send it in for repair without paying the full cost.

Just wait until the warranty is flat out and change the housing from there on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

great video on youtube. I have followed this video a number of times and successfully replaced my housing.

Up and Atom!!
    Twitter
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I have just replaced the full housing of my BBB9700 and my phone is turned on, but I can't see anything on the LCD. What can be wrong? I did everything as it is shown on the tutorial video. I started removing LCD but then realized that I don't have too, so I stoped doing that and moved all the parts to the new housing.

EDIT: I have realized that LCD backlighting isn't working ... that can't be good :/ Is there anything to do except changing the whole LCD (which is really expensive...)?
    Last edited by klemen_m; 11-17-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by klemen_m View Post
    I have just replaced the full housing of my BBB9700 and my phone is turned on, but I can't see anything on the LCD. What can be wrong? I did everything as it is shown on the tutorial video. I started removing LCD but then realized that I don't have too, so I stoped doing that and moved all the parts to the new housing.EDIT: I have realized that LCD backlighting isn't working ... that can't be good :/ Is there anything to do except changing the whole LCD (which is really expensive...)?
    Match the LCD model number on the back and grab one off ebay or a repair shop in your area. Looks like the screen got damaged during the change. If the backlight is dead but the LCD still works, the LED's burned out. That is, I might not be correct, but it would be that much more energy efficient without the backlight. Try using it outside in the sun to see if you can see anything on the screen.
    Flamers, don't even try, I have my waterhose ready
    GNU/Linux distros of choice: Ubuntu, Mint (or anything based on debian that's still geared towards beginners and isn't too bloated).

My Tweets, Wordpress Blog, My Statuses, My Formspring.me & Videos (Viddler), (Dailymotion), (YouTube Partner channel)
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I would love to see what you posted, but can't see anything.

EDIT: Oh I see this is some kind of bot ...

I went to a repait shop and they say that it's gonna cost me about 70-80€ (90-102$) to repace the LCD on my Bold, which is really a lot of money for a repair. But I'm not sure I want to replace the LCD by myself, because I just wanted to change the housing and f***ed up the LCD.
    Last edited by klemen_m; 11-21-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Make sure it's correctly plugged in and the contacts clean. Since you are at it check if the ribbon cable is not damaged. I've swapped a few housings without any issues just take your time.