Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How I FIXED My Trackpad Wobble!!

*UPDATE* So I've had some people PM a couple of questions. I thought I would just update the thread in regards those to concerns.
    1- Tools needed* I skipped over this the first time because I figured that people that will be taking apart their phone pretty much already know and have what they need.
    - T5 Screw driver. They should have them at Home Depot or Lowes if you need it right away. I got mine with stuff I ordered online.
    - Next, a tool to separate the Chrome bezel from the housing. Dont have an exact name for it but if someone posts it then I will update. You can see what the tool looks like in the video below.
    - Some sort of fine blade to GENTLY remove the warranty sticker and replace when done. I usually just leave it on the edge of the blade until Im ready to apply it back.

2- Now I ran into an issue when doing this for a friend. His wobble wasnt so bad but just to the left alil bit. Now when I added the tape and put the phone back together, his Menu button and Back button would cause the trackpad to be pressed down. This was because I raised it too high. If your wobble is not that bad then I just recommend putting 3-4 pieces and not the 5. Another person posted on here about that so I just want people to be aware of that.

If you don't feel comfortable taking apart your 9700 then please don't follow what I have to say. But if you do, then I hope this guide will help you fix the silly trackpad. If you dont know how to take the phone apart then just click on the link below. Now I highly recommend having some kind of FINE SHARP BLADE, like a razor or exacto knife.

And please dont blame me if you screw this up. I am not responsible for whatever happens.

How To: Dismantle A BlackBerry Bold 9700 | CrackBerry.com

For some reason the guy in this video seems alil too "rough" when taking apart the bottom part. Alil secret I learned is if you pry the bottom on the ends first and pop those up then it comes out really easy.

Once done with that be very careful when taking of the chrome trim because its very delicate. Once the chrome is off then there are 4 screws that need to be undone. Once those are out, you must unclip the screen at the very top which is point out with my screw driver. That part is connected to the back piece and you could break the ribbon if you pull to hard without realizing it and your screen would stop working.

Now lift the middle circuit board out and flip it around and unplug the trackpad sensor in the middle. Just like you did for the screen.

Ok now to the bread and butter of the thread. Why the heck does that trackpad have to wobble? Well from what I could figure out it has to do with the plastic piece underneath the trackpad itself. I believe that on some units the piece is too low and thus causes the trackpad to wobble around in the keyboard frame.

So I what I did was lay a piece of Scotch tape on a table and trace a circle with a razor. They dont need to be the exact size of the plastic piece but as close as you can get it. I applied about 5 pieces on top of each other.

And please, please whatever you do. Just take your time doing everything. There is no need to rush.

Now this might not be the "coolest" way of fixing it and we probably shouldn't even have to go to these extremes to fix something that shouldnt be an issue in the first place. RIM :cough: cough: But hey my trackpad is now PERFECT, and what a wonderful feeling it is.
    Last edited by alin_tiniuc; 12-14-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Update Info.
    Thanked by:
    schmoozer#CB (03-22-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

CrackBerry Addict

I'm pretty sure RIM doesn't actaully assemble their phones in house. Like everything else they outsource. And I'm pretty sure it's Qualcomm that assembles the phones.

THis is a pretty sweet idea though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

Awesome idea and great thinking. Glad it worked for you. This is giving me more confidence on replacing my chrome bezel seeing how many people disassembled properly
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,406 Global Posts
    PIN
    upon request

Thanks for sharing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Awesome thanks for the post. I'm going to give it go on my gf phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask!

This deserves a sticky!! Great post. You actually did something about it as opposed to just complaining which is what most ppl do here.....
    CrackBerry User

Very nice. I cant wait to receive my new bezel and give it a try fixing my trackpad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask

Awesome dude! Thanks for the pics and guide!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Super! Thanks a lot for the guide. Here is a question:

If I purchase a new trackpad and give it to someone who is brave enough to do it for me, would it be better than laying scotch tapes? or is it "if your trackpad is wobbly it will remain like that because it is a hardware fault in the motherboard"?
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts

Great tutorial and brave! I probably would have just exchanged and made sure they gave me a good one. But once again, good thread!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBoy View Post
    Super! Thanks a lot for the guide. Here is a question:

If I purchase a new trackpad and give it to someone who is brave enough to do it for me, would it be better than laying scotch tapes? or is it "if your trackpad is wobbly it will remain like that because it is a hardware fault in the motherboard"?
    Great question. Its NOT the trackpad itself. It is the actual hardware of the phone. On some phones the plastic piece that the trackpad sits on is not high enough. Which makes the pad wobble within the keyboard. So the solution is to raise the trackpad to fit more snuggly in the keyboard. Which is what I did buy adding the tape and provide more height for the trackpad.
    Last edited by alin_tiniuc; 12-11-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Great tutorial and brave! I probably would have just exchanged and made sure they gave me a good one. But once again, good thread!
    I did that to my wife's because her trackpad was like a joystick it moved around so much. And then the replacement was wobbly too. So instead of going through phones like that, I just thought it would be better to find a fix.
    Banned

Thanks for the guide. I just may try this
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Awesome info, thanks!
    Retired Mod

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alin_tiniuc View Post
    I did that to my wife's because her trackpad was like a joystick it moved around so much. And then the replacement was wobbly too. So instead of going through phones like that, I just thought it would be better to find a fix.
    I bought my 9700 on release day. It moved around like a joystick too. Exchanged it. The same thing too. Just returned it all together on black friday. Last week on 12/04 when ATT started the new sale, I went back to purchase. This time I inspected the device before them selling it to me. This one has a build date of 11/25 in Canada1. Only 9 days old. Trackpad is rock solid. I took it and one week later no complaints. This one is a keeper!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    839 Global Posts
    PIN
    2164b601

Good idea but seems alot of work. I used a different method that took me 5 minutes. Thanks for posting.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by evorc View Post
    Good idea but seems alot of work. I used a different method that took me 5 minutes. Thanks for posting.
    Care to share?
    CrackBerry User

seems a little extreme for a minor wobble (if yours was minor) my has a little wiggle room but it doesnt bother me or seem to affect the performance so Im good but good walkthrough
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    839 Global Posts
    PIN
    2164b601

Care to share?
    The problem with the trackpad is that most of them are loose up and down, therefore it cause clicking or squeaking when you move it up and down. I thought of a quick solution that will not hurt the trackpad and it won't be noticeable. All I did was i cut a thin strip of electrical tape the same length of one side of trackpad and the same width (thickness) as the chrome part of the trackpad (I used a needle to help push the tape down and stick it to the trackpad or you can also use anything that's thin enough to get through the trackpad crack). So you can see it is really thin; then what you do is slide it down on the top or bottom crack of the trackpad then when it is flush or below the trackpad top/menu/return buttons and not noticeable stick it on the trackpad. I put mine in the bottom. This will prevent the up and down movement of the trackpad therefore you will have a non wobble trackpad. Now my trackpad is so tight that there is no movement at all! Ofcourse this method also applies if it wobbles side to side which is unlikely because I went through 3 9700 and they did not have this problem only up and down wobble. A quickfix that won't cause any problems and on top of that you cant even see the tape! Cheers!

What do you think? try it out!
    Last edited by evorc; 12-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

I would take the phone back before going through all this to attempt to rig it
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    I would take the phone back before going through all this to attempt to rig it
    While I would agree with you there for the most part. This guide isnt for your average joe. It's definatly for the more advanced phone person that doesn't mind taking apart a phone. I've done it with my orginal BOLD countless times, so to me its very easy.

And spending 10 mins in my office doing this is far easier for me than ordering replacements. To each his own.
    CrackBerry Abuser

While I would agree with you there for the most part. This guide isnt for your average joe. It's definatly for the more advanced phone person that doesn't mind taking apart a phone. I've done it with my orginal BOLD countless times, so to me its very easy.

And spending 10 mins in my office doing this is far easier for me than ordering replacements. To each his own.
    I totally agree with you: This one's not for the faint of heart...!

First, you must be really comfortable about doing this.
    Second, you must have thought a lot before taking the plunge.
    Third, you must accept that whatever happens to your phone, the responsibility is wholly yours...

I have the BlackBerry 8820. Long before, I have already learned about this problem with trackballs, so I searched & searched the web on how to remove & clean it. Then, I kept the information saved on the back of my head, just to be ready for the future in case something like that happens to me.

And for sure, it happened. I cannot return it since it is already almost 2 years with me. I cannot also buy a new one at that time due to financial reasons. So I told myself: "This is it. I'll do it now. If It works, then, I did a good job. If I screw it, then, the trackball is already dead, anyway...!"

The first time I did it, it took me more than 30 minutes to complete the whole process of removing, cleaning, & replacing it in its place. And that was more than thirty minutes of shaking hands & thumping heart...!

But I'm glad I did it. & every time my 8820's trackball started acting up again, I can do the whole process now in 5 minutes...!

On a side note, I hope I won't be doing this guide. Thank heavens my 9700's trackpad is as fit & properly placed as it can be...!
    Last edited by Maverick.Xtreme; 12-11-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention one more thing...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just tried the OP's method and the wobble, squeak, wiggle and all that annoyonce is now gone the trackpad is nice and tight. And to to think the difference between a good and bad trackpad is problably about 1/100th of inch of material and cost a fraction of a penny is laughable. All of these phone carriers and RIM could save themselves a **** load of returns if they would've addressed this issue from the get go.

I also agree with the other posts if your not comfortable taking electronics apart then don't attempt this. When you have the phone in pieces and you're in there fiddling around its very easy to accidently tweak and break something.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

Quote Originally Posted by collide.six View Post
    Just tried the OP's method and the wobble, squeak, wiggle and all that annoyonce is now gone the trackpad is nice and tight. And to to think the difference between a good and bad trackpad is problably about 1/100th of inch of material and cost a fraction of a penny is laughable. All of these phone carriers and RIM could save themselves a **** load of returns if they would've addressed this issue from the get go.

I also agree with the other posts if your not comfortable taking electronics apart then don't attempt this. When you have the phone in pieces and you're in there fiddling around its very easy to accidently tweak and break something.
    Sweet! Its feels like a totally different phone now huh. As soon as I fixed mine, my experience with the 9700 turned very good.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast