CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation How to Change .REM Files Into Regular .3GP Video Files ?

I think i encrypted my memory card, then i unencrypted it and took the battery out for a few secs and i tried to play the file gain again on my computer, but it's still a .REM file. What else can i do ? Help Pleaseee.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    4 x 5532349

I hate to tell you this, but your files are likely gone if you can't mount them in your BB.

The thing about BB's memory card encryption is just that -- it's encryption. If it were easy to just convert the .rem files back to regular files, it'd be a terrible security method. The encryption is tied to the device and device password. If you don't have one of those, you can't decrypt the files.

Unless you work for the NSA, I don't recommend EVER using the Encrypt Memory Card option.

Some people claim to be able to convert -- I've just never seen it done. I learned the hard way, and I think you'll have to, too. Those files you wanted are likely gone forever.

Don't ever use the Media Card Encryption unless you want to risk never getting that information back.
    ::: Device History:::
    AT&T: Nokia 5165 --> Nokia 2260 --> Nokia 3361 ---> Cingular: Motorola V180 --> Motorola V220 ---> T-Mobile USA: BB 8100 --> BB 8120 --> BB 9700 --> MyTouch3G Slide --> Google Nexus One

Fix your phantom LED blinks
    | Twitter @mitchsurp

If I helped you, please click the "Thanks" button. It's just right over there. ===>
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchsurp View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but your files are likely gone if you can't mount them in your BB.

The thing about BB's memory card encryption is just that -- it's encryption. If it were easy to just convert the .rem files back to regular files, it'd be a terrible security method. The encryption is tied to the device and device password. If you don't have one of those, you can't decrypt the files.

Unless you work for the NSA, I don't recommend EVER using the Encrypt Memory Card option.

Some people claim to be able to convert -- I've just never seen it done. I learned the hard way, and I think you'll have to, too. Those files you wanted are likely gone forever.

Don't ever use the Media Card Encryption unless you want to risk never getting that information back.
    Extremely well said. I have never used that feature, ever, and I know what it can do, such as what you described.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thx guys. I know what you mean.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    no thanks, my clothes aren't falling off.

If u have desktop manager 5 installed, the roxio media center that comes with it is able to decrypt any videos or pics that has the .rem extension. You can try that out and see what happens

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

Red face This worked for me, but you need your password

Just rename the file (not the extension, the file name).

(For those with the same problem:) If you know your password, disable your memory card encryption &/or device memory media files, depending upon where you saved the file. (Go to "Security Options" in your Setup menu, then select "Encryption" and disable memory card encryption; and just in case, also select "No" under "Include Media Files" of Device Memory.) It will prompt you for your password to change these settings. Once you've changed these settings, go back to the video file in your phone and rename it. When you rename the file, it will also become unencrypted, and the .rem extension will automatically drop off the end.
    Last edited by bengo4; 03-13-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: to more accurately respond to the post
    Thanked by 2:
    05expy (03-20-2013),  zenga (09-26-2012) 
  7. a1w
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks, easiest method yet and works.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thumbs up thank you bengo4

you are a life saver for this info i have over 100 videos on my bold 9900 that i was trying to transfer to my z1o and for the life of me i could not figure out how i just wanted to say thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default How to Change .REM FilesInto Regular .3GP Video Files ?

thanks for what u share helps ..but I figure out a better way, if you don't know your password... just change it to device key then use your device password or if u don't have create a password with your phone then go back to decrypt it.