CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Please help me identify the specific LCD screen model for my 9700

So I regularly buy faulty phones off Ebay, fix them and sell them on. I have some experience with repairing Blackberry's but nothing too extensive.

I have here a Blackberry which turns on fine, recognised by DM etc but the reported fault was that the screen doesn't work.

Upon inspection the screen looked intact with a thin plastic protector on it. It was also missing a few screws that hold the bezel down. No water damage observed. Both LIT's are white and no visible corrosion can be seen on the board (if they sneakily put new LIT's).

I believe the original owner had damaged the screen and replaced it without realising that you needed a specific model therefore they sold it as having a faulty LCD.

I have contacted the seller but he has no idea who the original owner was that done this, if it did happen.

I also note that upon disconnecting the LCD ribbon cable it teared slightly. Whether this is due to me being clumsy or it was already like that before hand could also be the reason.

Now is there any way to identify which specific screen fits onto this Blackberry Bold 9700?

Below are all the serial numbers and other text printed on the main board
    • Top left below camera flash connector - C1
    • Top right below Light Sensor(?) - PCB-21481-010
    • Middle Right underneath where the LCD is placed - UT009C 94V-0 1007
    • Top left of keypad - CHINA HDW-23096-001
    • Right of trackpad - 07110 107747-01-2
    • Behind the "FAULTY LCD" - LCD-23269-004/111 VA100205GM11

...and under where the battery is placed:
    • PRD-17739-014 Blackberry 9700 RCM71UW
    • Made in Hungary 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wish to get this Blackberry up and running to sell before Christmas so buying a new screen upon suspecting that a torn ribbon cable was the issue would take up some time so correctly identifying the LCD model which fits this specific phone will save alot of hassle.

Thanks
    Last edited by stylishjm; 12-02-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Best place to look is a trusted supplier...

Here are 2 that are OEM for the 9700...
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 OEM LCD screen - 002/111 - - Cellular Accessories | Mobile Accessories | Cell

BlackBerry Bold 9700 OEM LCD screen - 202/222 - - Cellular Accessories | Mobile Accessories | Cell

They state that you should replace it with the same one that was ON there, based on the number on the back of the LCD. Now, if this is a replacement, you may not be looking at the right numbers.
    The crew and CNN.cn are good. Call them up. They might be able to get you on the right one.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 12-02-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks, but that doesn't actually answer my question. I need to identify which screen model fits in this phone (assuming that the previous owner replaced it already with an incorrect one).

Just saw your edit. I will contact the local Blackberry experts for advice.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by stylishjm View Post
    Thanks, but that doesn't actually answer my question. I need to identify which screen model fits in this phone (assuming that the previous owner replaced it already with an incorrect one).

Just saw your edit. I will contact the local Blackberry experts for advice.
    Local kiosk or phone repair shop. Is the device branded? That'll tell you which screen to get for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Is the device branded? That'll tell you which screen to get for it.
    Curious as to why you think the device being branded by a carrier would have anything to do with the LCD???

As far as I know, carrier branding only effects:
    -Radio frequencies (Such as the 3G bands) and Spash screen loaded onto the firmware. (If I'm not mistaken, this is all hard coded into the chipset on the PCB)
    -The OS loaded onto the flash memory
    -The logo on the phone
    -Accessories included
    -Packaging

Not a dig, would really like to know what your comment is based on.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmanRobby View Post
    Curious as to why you think the device being branded by a carrier would have anything to do with the LCD???

As far as I know, carrier branding only effects:
    -Radio frequencies (Such as the 3G bands) and Spash screen loaded onto the firmware. (If I'm not mistaken, this is all hard coded into the chipset on the PCB)
    -The OS loaded onto the flash memory
    -The logo on the phone
    -Accessories included
    -Packaging

Not a dig, would really like to know what your comment is based on.
    I think that conman who runs the kiosk in the mall lied to me about it. I'm thinking twice now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,323 Global Posts

Most likely its a 002 bro.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 9000 (brief) > 9530 (Ugh!) & 8900 > 8220 > 8120 > 8520 > 9550
    > 9000 > 9700 9650

BB tech: Got a problem? Feel free to PM me.