CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default flashing 9700? to cricket?

I have a 9700 that I had on at&t, but the bill is too high. I want to flash or jailbreak, whatever you wanna call it so I can use it on cricket. Can anyone help? or maybe trade phones that is flashed? thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

It is called "unlock". Once removed the device can be used with any GSM SIM but depending on what 3G bands they use, you may only get EDGE service. I am pretty sure Cricket is CDMA so you will not be able to use a 9700 on their network if that is true.

There are many free and pay services to remove the SIM lock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Cricket is a small regional CDMA provider. the 9700 isnt compatible with their network. also, the 9700 cannot be reflashed with available resources.

oh and never call it jailbreaking again. thats for iphone crap only.
    CrackBerry Geek

Global Posts
    26,615 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRAldous View Post
    I have a 9700 that I had on at&t, but the bill is too high. I want to flash or jailbreak, whatever you wanna call it so I can use it on cricket. Can anyone help? or maybe trade phones that is flashed? thanks
    It cannot be done. The 9700 is a GSM only phone. GSM phones can be unlocked to use on another GSM carrier's network. They cannot be flashed. Jailbreaking is only done on iPhones, not any other devices.

You can get your 9700 unlocked and use it on T-Mobile. However, you will only get EDGE. T-Mobile and AT&T use different frequency bands for their 3G networks.

If you want Cricket, you need a CDMA device. Cricket does not support BlackBerry, so push e-mail, BlackBerry Messenger, native IM apps, and App World cannot be used with a CDMA BlackBerry flashed to Cricket.

If you want a prepaid BlackBerry, you are better off using Boost, which uses Sprint's network.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It cannot be done. The 9700 is a GSM only phone. GSM phones can be unlocked to use on another GSM carrier's network. They cannot be flashed. Jailbreaking is only done on iPhones, not any other devices.

You can get your 9700 unlocked and use it on T-Mobile. However, you will only get EDGE. T-Mobile and AT&T use different frequency bands for their 3G networks.

If you want Cricket, you need a CDMA device. Cricket does not support BlackBerry, so push e-mail, BlackBerry Messenger, native IM apps, and App World cannot be used with a CDMA BlackBerry flashed to Cricket.

If you want a prepaid BlackBerry, you are better off using Boost, which uses Sprint's network.
    its a race to 5000 for us huh?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

will you guys stop saying "flashed"? that term has never and should never apply to this phone.

it's called unlocking, and as everyone has said it won't help you at all. you can't use cricket. suck it up with at&t or find a GSM pay-as-you-go provider.
    Previously: Blackberry Bold 9700 - 6.0.0.344
    Currently: Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2

"Simplicity provides a fine line between elegance and plainness."

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
    will you guys stop saying "flashed"? that term has never and should never apply to this phone.

it's called unlocking, and as everyone has said it won't help you at all. you can't use cricket. suck it up with at&t or find a GSM pay-as-you-go provider.
    first off, technically yes you can reflash the ROM file, the VSM, on the older blackberrys. i had my Bold 9000 and 8310 reflashed/debranded into engineering units. so yes, in the cellphone world, any time you install a new carriers ROM or reflash bootloading firmware, its considered reflashing.

it is possible to reflash the 8330 from a Verizon phone, to a Sprint phone or even a Cricket phone. all you need is the proper VSM file for that carrier. unlocking the phone is totally different but in this case, the OP is using the correct term.

for CDMA phones to properly work on other networks, i think they need to be reflashed with carrier specific VSM files. i have a whole zip file that has all carrier VSM's in it. i can take an 8300 or Bold 9000 and change them from At&t branded devices and make them Vodafone, or like i said, RIM Engineering units.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 07-30-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    first off, technically yes you can reflash the ROM file, the VSM, on the older blackberrys. i had my Bold 9000 and 8310 reflashed/debranded into engineering units. so yes, in the cellphone world, any time you install a new carriers ROM or reflash bootloading firmware, its considered reflashing.

it is possible to reflash the 8330 from a Verizon phone, to a Sprint phone or even a Cricket phone. all you need is the proper VSM file for that carrier. unlocking the phone is totally different but in this case, the OP is using the correct term.

for CDMA phones to properly work on other networks, i think they need to be reflashed with carrier specific VSM files. i have a whole zip file that has all carrier VSM's in it. i can take an 8300 or Bold 9000 and change them from At&t branded devices and make them Vodafone, or like i said, RIM Engineering units.
    read his post again

Quote Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post

the 9700 will only work on GSM networks. that require the use of a SIM card. Cricket = no SIM card = no flashing.

9. wnm

Global Posts
    7,912 Global Posts
    PIN
    K Pussycat Boutique

People using the term "flash" always confused me, because I assumed that's what they meant, when in fact what they really wanted to do was switch carriers by unlocking the phone. In some cases they also meant using another carriers OS on their BB.

As for the race to 5,000, just start a mutual admiration society thread where you can keep responding to each others posts.
    No one can hear you scream in cyberspace.
    ------
    Democracy: A form of government where the leader is chosen by popularity rather than the ability to run a country.
    If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjneid View Post
    read his post again

whos post???

i know what unlocking is, as i also know what reflashing and jailbreaking do.

i used to reflash Motorola RAZR's from Cingular branded firmware and splashscreens to unbranded, unlocked generic Motorola firmware. i also used to hexedit these phones to enable features like video recording, before it was available with the normal Cingular branded devices.

ive also been unlocking old Nokias for years and know what it means for GSM phones to be unlocked.

ive also unbranded and rebranded Blackberry 8300's and Bold 9000's before.

for CDMA devices, especially Verizon branded 8330's, it is possible to rebrand them from being a Verizon device to a Sprint device. whether or not the new provider will accept the ESN, probably not. but people are reflashing Verizon 8330's to MetroPCS VSM's and allowinf them to be used on their carrier.

what the original poster wanted to do in his mind was unlock the phone to use on cricket. obviously, the 9700 can be unlocked for use on other carriers, but not for a CDMA provider like Cricket.

my point to dLo GSR and his comment "will you guys stop saying "flashed"? that term has never and should never apply to this phone." was that flashing any phone can be done, provided you have the proper files and software. the statement that it should never be applied to this phone is false. flashing, in this case, would be pointless given what the OP wanted to do. however, with the newest version of MFI, which isnt in the open, would allow a 9700 to be reflashed to a different carriers VSM file.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 07-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

whos post???

i know what unlocking is, as i also know what reflashing and jailbreaking do.

i used to reflash Motorola RAZR's from Cingular branded firmware and splashscreens to unbranded, unlocked generic Motorola firmware. i also used to hexedit these phones to enable features like video recording, before it was available with the normal Cingular branded devices.

ive also been unlocking old Nokias for years and know what it means for GSM phones to be unlocked.

ive also unbranded and rebranded Blackberry 8300's and Bold 9000's before.

for CDMA devices, especially Verizon branded 8330's, it is possible to rebrand them from being a Verizon device to a Sprint device. whether or not the new provider will accept the ESN, probably not. but people are reflashing Verizon 8330's to MetroPCS VSM's and allowinf them to be used on their carrier.

what the original poster wanted to do in his mind was unlock the phone to use on cricket. obviously, the 9700 can be unlocked for use on other carriers, but not for a CDMA provider like Cricket.

my point to dLo GSR and his comment "will you guys stop saying "flashed"? that term has never and should never apply to this phone." was that flashing any phone can be done, provided you have the proper files and software. the statement that it should never be applied to this phone is false. flashing, in this case, would be pointless given what the OP wanted to do. however, with the newest version of MFI, which isnt in the open, would allow a 9700 to be reflashed to a different carriers VSM file.
    he said that the term "flashing" shouldn't be used with this phone... this phone is a 9700... i'm not question the intent of unlocking and re-flashing other phones. But it cannot be done with the 9700 that is all i'm saying
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-30-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    HTC | Glacier | Powered by Cyanogen(mod) | CM7N86 | OC 1.2giggahurts
    Asus Netbook | Powered by Linux 11.04
    Nook Color | Powered by Cyanogen(mod) | CM7.0.3 | OC 925giggahurts
    Apple 3rd Gen iPod Touch bone frakking stock

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

Technically, it can be done. Just not with any software that's publicly available at this time.

When the phones are made, they are branded and therefore can be re/debranded. I see what u are trying to say though.

CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post

Hi,

I have blackberry bold 9700, hard locked in T-Mobile Hungary. How to reset counter 0 left to 10 amptemps?(Or Rom Booter avaible for 9700 bold, etc.. On Windows Ultimate 32 Bit Licensed)

Thank's in Advance

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Salajean View Post
    Hi,

I have blackberry bold 9700, hard locked in T-Mobile Hungary. How to reset counter 0 left to 10 amptemps?(Or Rom Booter avaible for 9700 bold, etc.. On Windows Ultimate 32 Bit Licensed)

Thank's in Advance
    Take it to a repair shop and have them unhardlock it. Discussion of this software is illegal on here, we can't get it either, only repair shops have it. Your carrier could help you if you bring it to them.