Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by _bryanb_ View Post
    This would suggest that wiping the device and reinstalling is not needed...

-b.
    Bingo!... it never was needed
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    Thanked by:
    BeyondTheBox (01-13-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    Bingo!... it never was needed
    Perhaps, but I still don't have a concrete understanding as to why I was getting that pop-up message with the combined 5 MB total space all message types were utilizing.

With 256 MB internal memory, you'd think 5 MB total in emails, mms and sms messages is insignificant.

I hope once the sim card is replaced (as suggested earlier in the thread), the problem vanishes.

I know it seems I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm just trying to understand the technical reasoning behind what has taken place.

-b.
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

You're mixing up your memory again Bryan.

You have 256MB of Application Memory... for applications, and your OS

Device Memory (which you're short of) is only 32MB, most of which is reserved for media storage.
    I would imagine Message Memory is included in the Device Memory, and that it's maximum fixed at around 5MB.
    Although you're still showing free Device Memory, your Message Memory which does not show, is obviously full.
    5MB might sound an insignificant amount, but that's a ****load of text!

Now that you've removed your messages, your problem should be gone.

Also, I don't believe your SIM has anything to do with the above, so you shouldn't need to change that.
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 01-13-2011 at 03:49 AM.
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #29  

Device Memory (which you're short of) is only 32MB, most of which is reserved for media storage.
    I would imagine Message Memory is included in the Device Memory, and that it's maximum fixed at around 5MB.
    Although you're still showing free Device Memory, your Message Memory which does not show, is obviously full.

Also, I don't believe your SIM has anything to do with the above, so you shouldn't need to change that.
    No, I understand the memory partitioning now, but I was just stating in absolutes. The fact that RIM gave the device 256 MB of internal memory and set the message memory maximum to around 5 MB seems small.

I suppose none of us really know where the three databases corresponding to the emails, MMS and SMS messages are stored, but the device memory sounds reasonable. The fact that you access the settings and usage for the device memory in the Media folder seems odd though, as Media would suggest video, pictures, etc. (just like what's grouped in the Media folder already).

When I wiped out all the messages on the device, the "file free" size did increase about the same size as what I deleted...

Be interesting if there are any RIM OS coders in the forum to get a solid idea of what the different (non viewable) memory restrictions are by category.

Particularly in the case of SMS messages, without an easy way to view them on the desktop, I like to keep about a 3-6 month rolling window history in the event I need to reference them.

As far as emails, I completely agree with you but I thought setting the 30 day purge option in the mailbox settings was good enough. I guess I just get a s-ton of emails...

-b.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

Whenever your phone starts throwing up messages that say your sim memory is full it's time to replace. Never seen a case where this wasn't true. Otherwise he'll just run into this issue again just as soon as his messages start to fill in.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

I'm currently having this problem with my 9300. I'm running app version 5.0.0.955 on AT&T. I get the message "Blackberry message memory is full! Please delete some SMS messages"

Here's what I don't understand about this problem, which just popped up today. After it came up I literally deleted almost 10,000 SMS messages, all my emails (shy of the few I received today), the browser cache, all MMS message, and almost everything I could think of to get rid of. So, while I still have approx 6,000 text messages I've cut out nearly 60% of the space that it was using previously (as stated when you go into Options --> Status --> Database Sizes). It was at about 16,000k before and it now sits at about 5,200k now.

So, if anything regarding messages was wrong in the BB, it should've fixed the problem. I've deleted everything I can think of to delete (with the exception of everything, but from what I can tell, if deleting so much of this stuff already hasn't worked, neither will that) and it still gives me that message and won't allow me to receive any new messages.

So does anyone know what worked to fix your problem? Was it a new SIM card you needed (I don't save any messages and have only 12 contacts stored on it) and thus fixed the problem? Or did you just reinstall the OS and it went away?
    Lovin' my BB since Dec '07
    8300 -> 8310 -> 8900 -> 9300 -> 9700 -> 9900
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Maybe do a custom backup with desktop manager, uncheck (exclude) Content Store and Trusted Key Store, wipe and reload using apploader. That should solve the problem. I skip anything I see as clutter, also exclude Purged Messages.

Quote Originally Posted by breakmedown View Post
    I'm currently having this problem with my 9300. I'm running app version 5.0.0.955 on AT&T. I get the message "Blackberry message memory is full! Please delete some SMS messages"

Here's what I don't understand about this problem, which just popped up today. After it came up I literally deleted almost 10,000 SMS messages, all my emails (shy of the few I received today), the browser cache, all MMS message, and almost everything I could think of to get rid of. So, while I still have approx 6,000 text messages I've cut out nearly 60% of the space that it was using previously (as stated when you go into Options --> Status --> Database Sizes). It was at about 16,000k before and it now sits at about 5,200k now.

So, if anything regarding messages was wrong in the BB, it should've fixed the problem. I've deleted everything I can think of to delete (with the exception of everything, but from what I can tell, if deleting so much of this stuff already hasn't worked, neither will that) and it still gives me that message and won't allow me to receive any new messages.

So does anyone know what worked to fix your problem? Was it a new SIM card you needed (I don't save any messages and have only 12 contacts stored on it) and thus fixed the problem? Or did you just reinstall the OS and it went away?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

I'm doing that now. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

An odd thing that occured was when I was deleting the backup file, it said it couldn't complete it for some reason. Said to make sure the phone was connected. I'm not sure why that happened. So it didn't delete my texts, but did delete a lot of other stuff (like some option settings and my address book). So we'll see what happens in the end.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts

Ok, so update. I deleted everything off my phone, left those certain things out, and then when I tried to restore it, it still wouldn't let me get any texts. I get everything but SMS messages. So I'm not sure what's wrong, I'm gonna take it to AT&T tomorrow, see if they have any ideas (like maybe a new SIM card) and either get a replacement phone or my phone fixed. I could flash it myself, but I'd rather get a brand new phone if anything.
    CrackBerry Abuser

happened to me. It was actually the files stored in the trash. If you connect your phone to your mac. you will see the files in the trash or recycle bin. Once you delete that then you're good to go
    CrackBerry Newbie

If you don't see the Trash folder, it may be hidden...mine was. You have to view the hidden folders and the Trash folder will come up. I had 3.5G if videos in it that I had downloaded to my hard drive to get them off the blackberry.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12