Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Question Dreaded "Device Memory Full" - but it's not?!?

    Hello Everyone.

    I did take about 15 minutes and search if this was covered elsewhere, but was unsuccessful -- so here goes...

    I'm getting the dreaded "Device memory full -- delete some SMS messages" pop-up on my BlackBerry Bold 9700 but the memory is not full. When checking the device memory under Options >> Memory, it shows the "Application Memory" at 72.3MB. This is further confirmed by checking Options >> Status, where it shows "File Free" at 75846160 Bytes.

    I did a battery pull anyway (I actually prefer ALT-RIGHT SHFT-DEL), but the message instantly pops up again after the reboot finishes.

    I, of course, have the SMS messages set to NOT be stored on the sim card as well. I've really checked all possibilities and I'm starting to think that the device memory is corrupt or the phone doesn't know its *** from its elbow and is misjudging the device memory availability.

    I also only have three small applications installed. What's up?

    Thanks for any help,

    Bryan
    Last edited by _bryanb_; 01-12-2011 at 12:23 AM.
  2. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Device Memory is NOT Application Memory, or File Free Memory.

    Device Memory is where your media is stored, and to see how much you have left go to:-

    Media > Menu > Memory Use
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    Thanked by:
    _bryanb_ (01-12-2011) 
  3. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    Device Memory is NOT Application Memory, or File Free Memory.

    Device Memory is where your media is stored, and to see how much you have left go to:-

    Media > Menu > Memory Use
    I assumed that was only for pictures, video, etc.

    It is set to the maximum of 32MB and says it is 98% free. When choosing "Details", it lists the 2% is consumed by "Other". Is this where email, SMS and MMS are stored?

    If so, it further baffles me as I am not low on memory as the pop-up states...

    -b.
    Last edited by _bryanb_; 01-12-2011 at 12:38 AM.
  4. starchit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    801 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    It's obvious you are not low on memory. What OS are you using? Do you actually have that many messages saved? What is the memory you have reserved for media files? And finally are you using a SD card?

    Keeping several messages that contain media files, use up the reserved media memory and you can get this error.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  5. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starchit View Post
    It's obvious you are not low on memory. What OS are you using? Do you actually have that many messages saved? What is the memory you have reserved for media files? And finally are you using a SD card?

    Keeping several messages that contain media files, use up the reserved media memory and you can get this error.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hello -- thanks for the reply.

    I am using OS 5.0.0.714 (Platform 5.1.0.146)

    I don't have any messages "saved" (in regards to moving them to the saved folder) and concerning messages that I've received and not deleted, I have about 547 emails and I'm unsure how to get a count on total SMS/MMS that are sitting on the device.

    Media memory is set at the maximum available choice of 32MB

    I do have a 2GB SD card installed and it is at 1.8GB free.

    Thanks again,

    -b.
  6. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    There's your problem then... far too many read emails/SMS messages hogging your memory.

    Remove all your read emails from the device, and just leave them on your server. And dump all those read SMS messages, or if you must keep them, then do a backup then delete them.
    That's Phill with 2 L's
  7. starchit's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    801 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Sounds to me like all those e-mails and SMSs have media attached and have used up the 32mb you've reserved. I keep the messages on my device to a minimum. Any I want to keep I store on my pc. Also, there was a post last week where someone had over 1,100 e-mails but couldn't get DM to back up any more than 600+ so they could update the OS. In other words, my suggestion would be to scale down the saved messages.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  8. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    There's your problem then... far too many read emails/SMS messages hogging your memory.

    Remove all your read emails from the device, and just leave them on your server. And dump all those read SMS messages, or if you must keep them, then do a backup then delete them.
    All the email accounts on the device are configured to purge from the device on a rolling 30-day window...

    There also aren't a "whole lot" of read SMS/MMS sitting around, but there are some.

    However, unless there is some internal maximum set within the OS, all memory indicators would suggest that I'm not even in the hemisphere of utilizing too much memory, so how would the saved emails/MMS/SMS be causing the issue?

    -b.
  9. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,332 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #9  

    Default

    Do you have the camera app set to take pictures and have them stored on the memory card instead? Launch the camera, then BB menu > options. Scroll down to and ensure it says "/media card/blackberry/pictures" and if it doesn't, ensure you select it.

    The photos you might have taken were likely put in the device memory. Make sure you set, like I have, the reserved memory to 0MB to rid this bug. I did it the first time I got my blackberry.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  10. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Do you have the camera app set to take pictures and have them stored on the memory card instead? Launch the camera, then BB menu > options. Scroll down to and ensure it says "/media card/blackberry/pictures" and if it doesn't, ensure you select it.

    The photos you might have taken were likely put in the device memory. Make sure you set, like I have, the reserved memory to 0MB to rid this bug. I did it the first time I got my blackberry.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, it's set to store them on the SD card and all pictures are currently there on the SD card.

    I'm beginning to think the phone just has a problem...

    I got the message again just now and here is the exact syntax:

    "BlackBerry message memory and SIM card are full! Please delete some SMS messages."

    This also stops all further messages from coming in so I am forced to delete important messages or sync to my laptop to save them during the middle of the day (a bit of a joke...)

    Right after I dismissed the pop-up, I checked all the memory locations that I know how to:

    Under Media >> Memory Use, the Device Memory is still 98% free at 31.2 MB.

    Under Options >> Status, File Free is still at 76091208 (74.3MB)

    Under Options >> Memory, Application Memory Free Space is still 72.5 MB.

    Either this Bold is scrambled, BlackBerry has an internal SMS message limit configured in the OS or it truly has less capacity for SMS messages than my old Palm Treo (sad).

    It would be nice to get this figured out before I'm forced to switch to another device. I'm having a hard time stomaching that they call this a "business device" for "corporate email" when it has the capacity of an old Nokia..

    -b.
    Last edited by _bryanb_; 01-12-2011 at 04:40 PM.
  11. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,332 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _bryanb_ View Post
    Yes, it's set to store them on the SD card and all pictures are currently there on the SD card.

    I'm beginning to think the phone just has a problem...

    I got the message again just now and here is the exact syntax:

    "BlackBerry message memory and SIM card are full! Please delete some SMS messages."

    This also stops all further messages from coming in so I am forced to delete important messages or sync to my laptop to save them during the middle of the day (a bit of a joke...)

    Right after I dismissed the pop-up, I checked all the memory locations that I know how to:

    Under Media >> Memory Use, the Device Memory is still 98% free at 31.2 MB.

    Under Options >> Status, File Free is still at 76091208 (74.3MB)

    Under Options >> Memory, Application Memory Free Space is still 72.5 MB.

    Either this Bold is scrambled, BlackBerry has an internal SMS message limit configured in the OS or it truly has less capacity for SMS messages than my old Palm Treo (sad).

    It would be nice to get this figured out before I'm forced to switch to another device. I'm having a hard time stomaching that they call this a "business device" for "corporate email" when it has the capacity of an old Nokia..

    -b.
    I suggest you do a reload of the OS on your blackberry. Simple instructions:

    Download the latest device software offered by your carrier, install it.
    Download BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife and install it.
    Connect your blackberry to your computer, run desktop manager to make a backup after deleting all SMS and e-mail. Close desktop manager once the backup is complete.
    Run BBSAK, hit enter at the password prompt unless you have one set on your blackberry, click Load OS. Select the OS from the drop down menu, click Load OS. Give it a few minutes to scan your device, proceed to the app/component selection screen, ensure anything that you use is checked, then proceed to loading it on your device. When given the option to backup e-mail messages, uncheck this. Proceed to reload the OS. This may take a long time.

    If you use a macintosh/apple computer, those same directions can be followed and used within virtualbox, a free virtual machine client much like popular paid mac software, only it's free.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  12. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    I suggest you do a reload of the OS on your blackberry. Simple instructions:

    Download the latest device software offered by your carrier, install it.
    Download BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife and install it.
    Connect your blackberry to your computer, run desktop manager to make a backup after deleting all SMS and e-mail. Close desktop manager once the backup is complete.
    Run BBSAK, hit enter at the password prompt unless you have one set on your blackberry, click Load OS. Select the OS from the drop down menu, click Load OS. Give it a few minutes to scan your device, proceed to the app/component selection screen, ensure anything that you use is checked, then proceed to loading it on your device. When given the option to backup e-mail messages, uncheck this. Proceed to reload the OS. This may take a long time.

    If you use a macintosh/apple computer, those same directions can be followed and used within virtualbox, a free virtual machine client much like popular paid mac software, only it's free.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the help -- I do use a Mac so I assume even step #1 can be done via virtualbox? Or should I just find a PC?

    In step #3, I notice you want all emails and SMS messages deleted. Will it impact the process if I move the crucial emails and SMS messages to the "saved" folder? Also (off-topic), a few others in this thread have mentioned that I can backup SMS messages and then delete them from my device, but how do you look at them on the computer? I don't see any option for that within the desktop software.

    And the last step, I assume BBSAK offers a more controlled process during the OS install? I looked around on their site a bit but I couldn't find any in-depth information concerning the advanced options / benefits on OS installs.

    Thanks again,

    -b.
  13. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,707 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,723 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    No disrespect Bryan, but you've already been given the solution to your problem... remove some of your messages from the device.

    This was further backed up by the warning message you received. You're out of message memory, simple as.

    Rootbrian (oh Genius of Geniuses) should also have known better than to suggest a reload of your OS.
    This will not help your situation until you remove some of those messages.
    That's Phill with 2 L's
  14. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,332 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    No disrespect Bryan, but you've already been given the solution to your problem... remove some of your messages from the device.

    This was further backed up by the warning message you received. You're out of message memory, simple as.

    Rootbrian (oh Genius of Geniuses) should also have known better than to suggest a reload of your OS.
    This will not help your situation until you remove some of those messages.
    The reload is a worse-case senario. I put that forward as an option. If the OP doesn't clear out all messages, even the browser cache as nobody mentioned that, then they aren't going to rid the problem. Maybe the OP can do a simple video capture of the problem?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  15. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    No disrespect Bryan, but you've already been given the solution to your problem... remove some of your messages from the device.

    This was further backed up by the warning message you received. You're out of message memory, simple as.

    Rootbrian (oh Genius of Geniuses) should also have known better than to suggest a reload of your OS.
    This will not help your situation until you remove some of those messages.
    I believe we've established that the memory is not full. I've said a few times that there are NOT many emails and SMS messages (in my opinion). All the emails are text only and SMS messages are not many -- maybe 50 or less (including threads within a single recipient).

    I believe it was your assumption that I was out of space based on the pop-up message and my statement that I had 547 emails on the device.

    Rootbrian is probably thinking the same thing as I am -- the device is confused about the message memory being full.

    I should add that I have had the device for over a year and at some points, I've had over 2,700 emails and A LOT more SMS messages stored -- all while NEVER receiving that "Message Memory Full" pop-up.

    -b.
  16. BoldtotheMax's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,068 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    That is strange you have the free memory stating, but getting that message.

    I honestly would back it up and do a full wipe, try a different OS and see what happens.

    That is just me though. May or may not solve the issue and might only solve it till it hits whatever limit it hits to pop up that message.

    If all else fails, call up carrier and have them diagnose it and see if you can do a warranty exchange.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  17. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    I suggest you do a reload of the OS on your blackberry. Simple instructions:

    Download the latest device software offered by your carrier, install it.
    Download BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife and install it.

    [..snipped..]

    If you use a macintosh/apple computer, those same directions can be followed and used within virtualbox, a free virtual machine client much like popular paid mac software, only it's free.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that BBSAK runs under VirtualBox. How important is using BBSAK for the device software install?

    When trying to install BBSAK under VirtualBox, it just immediately stops the installer and says:

    "The installer was interrupted before BBSAK could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again."

    But when you restart it, it just says the same thing... I did notice the download was only 1.01MB -- maybe the file is corrupt at their site? Any ideas? Anyway to get a "lighter" OS install without using BBSAK?

    -b.
    Last edited by _bryanb_; 01-13-2011 at 12:44 AM.
  18. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,332 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #18  

    Default

    I forgot to mention, you'll need to install the .net framework on the VM (virtualbox) before you can install DM and BBSAK. I should have mentioned that earlier. Maybe you can wipe and reload the OS on a friend's PC by any chance?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  19. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    I forgot to mention, you'll need to install the .net framework on the VM (virtualbox) before you can install DM and BBSAK. I should have mentioned that earlier. Maybe you can wipe and reload the OS on a friend's PC by any chance?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I might have to resort to that.. Do you know what .NET framework version it requires? I just installed 2.0 for XP and BBSAK still didn't install...

    -b.
  20. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,332 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _bryanb_ View Post
    I might have to resort to that.. Do you know what .NET framework version it requires? I just installed 2.0 for XP and BBSAK still didn't install...

    -b.
    try version 3.0 or 3.5, or a service pack for 2.0.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  21. BeyondTheBox's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,998 Posts
    PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _bryanb_ View Post
    Yes, it's set to store them on the SD card and all pictures are currently there on the SD card.

    I'm beginning to think the phone just has a problem...

    I got the message again just now and here is the exact syntax:

    "BlackBerry message memory and SIM card are full! Please delete some SMS messages."

    This also stops all further messages from coming in so I am forced to delete important messages or sync to my laptop to save them during the middle of the day (a bit of a joke...)

    Right after I dismissed the pop-up, I checked all the memory locations that I know how to:

    Under Media >> Memory Use, the Device Memory is still 98% free at 31.2 MB.

    Under Options >> Status, File Free is still at 76091208 (74.3MB)

    Under Options >> Memory, Application Memory Free Space is still 72.5 MB.

    Either this Bold is scrambled, BlackBerry has an internal SMS message limit configured in the OS or it truly has less capacity for SMS messages than my old Palm Treo (sad).

    It would be nice to get this figured out before I'm forced to switch to another device. I'm having a hard time stomaching that they call this a "business device" for "corporate email" when it has the capacity of an old Nokia..

    -b.
    DUDE! It's your messages!!! Delete any unnecessary and old messages immediately. Also, go in and have your sim card replaced.
  22. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoldtotheMax View Post
    That is strange you have the free memory stating, but getting that message.

    I honestly would back it up and do a full wipe, try a different OS and see what happens.

    That is just me though. May or may not solve the issue and might only solve it till it hits whatever limit it hits to pop up that message.

    If all else fails, call up carrier and have them diagnose it and see if you can do a warranty exchange.
    Yes -- pretty odd situation, which leads me to believe something is awry with the OS or current install/configuration.

    Since I don't have a PC handy and can't do a clean wipe and install using BBSAK, I have temporarily just deleted all email, MMS and SMS messages and then double-checked their database sizes at 0 items and 0.0K within Options >> Status >> Menu >> Database Sizes. I'll keep a constant eye on it and find out where it is maxing out. I suppose there is a chance that deleting everything and resetting the database sizes may put things on the right track (hopefully).

    On a side note, does anyone know what the database "Attachment Data" and "Content Store" are? I would guess content store could be the BlackBerry App World data but not sure about attachment data as all messages were deleted from the device.

    Thanks again,

    -b.
  23. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    DUDE! It's your messages!!! Delete any unnecessary and old messages immediately. Also, go in and have your sim card replaced.
    I checked the database sizes for email, MMS and SMS messages before I deleted them all and the TOTAL for all those databases was less than 5 MB.

    Your statement above suggests that BlackBerry devices are unable to store more than 5 MB of emails, MMS and SMS messages combined. That would seem rather limited and illogical for RIM to do, wouldn't you say?

    I'd like to find the real root cause of the situation rather than the "from the hip" assumptions...

    -b.
    Last edited by _bryanb_; 01-13-2011 at 01:49 AM.
  24. BeyondTheBox's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,998 Posts
    PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _bryanb_ View Post
    I checked the database sizes for email, MMS and SMS messages before I deleted them all and the TOTAL for all those databases was less than 5 MB.

    Your statement above suggests that BlackBerry devices are unable to store more than 5 MB of emails, MMS and SMS messages combined. That would seem rather limited and illogical for RIM to do, wouldn't you say?

    I'd like to find the real root cause of the situation rather than the "from the hip" assumptions...

    -b.
    Now go replace the sim.

    It's not just BlackBerry that has this issue, it's all smart phones. And it's about more than just the total size of the messages.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-13-2011 at 02:03 AM.
  25. _bryanb_'s Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    PIN
    Give me yours and I'll give you mine... ;)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    Now go replace the sim.

    It's not just BlackBerry that has this issue, it's all smart phones. And it's about more than just the total size of the messages.
    But what is the issue? Fragmentation of the stored data? Defective SIM card?

    This would suggest that wiping the device and reinstalling is not needed...

    -b.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions