Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Do Not Want to Format my Media Card!

I bought a Bold about 25 days back and it has a few issues so far, but this one worries me.
    I have a lot of info on my media card, and now it says the card has errors and wants me to format. It doesn't matter if I sick the micro SD into an adapter or try to connect my 9700 through a USB, how can I retrieve all my data, and than format? It is a 16GB Kingston HC media card.

How do I avoid the format and retrieve my data?

Appreciate your help. I did not experience this issue until a few days back and I tried the battery pull mechanism, which only reset the phone.

Appreciate any insight!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you don't want to format just ignore. I get that message whenever I hook my Berry up to my PC. I ignore it and I've had no problem getting anything off my card.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    me on the floor baby!

i agree with keep it dry. i get that random issue sometimes, i say no and it gets all the stuff off the media card as well
    US military doctrine discourages the use of the a .50 cal weapon on troops because of the size and bulk of it's ammunition. However, it is not against the Geneva Conventions, go ahead and empty the ammo can.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

It won't let me ignore, keeps saying there are errors on the card. It is a fairly new card and I formatted before inserting it into my device. Is a format sure to delete all my files?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    PIN
    iMessenger

why not take it out, put it in an adapter, save all your files to your PC. then put the card back in your device, re-format and DL your files back on it from your PC?
    iPhone 4S Jailbroken
    iPad 3rd Generation Jailbroken
    Apple TV
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

It doesn't matter if I sick the micro SD into an adapter or try to connect my 9700 through a USB.
    The files on my media card will not be read and the only option it is giving me is to format. Is there a method of formatting which fixes the errors but doesn't delete your data?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    PIN
    iMessenger

wow, sorry, not that Im aware of. Maybe someone else will chime in. Good luck.
    iPhone 4S Jailbroken
    iPad 3rd Generation Jailbroken
    Apple TV
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

appreciate your input, just worried to lose these files (its hard to imagine files will be irretrievable).

Anyone know what to do here, I don't want to bit this bullet
    CrackBerry Newbie

If it's any consolation, I am in the same boat and looking for a solution.

My Bold was running fine until I click/dragged a video from the 'video' folder on my Bold to my desktop. Ever since then it asks me to format my mem card every time I plug in charger.

Also, it won't allow me to save or retrieve anything from the card. Insists on saving photos to system. So it's obviously been corrupted by a simple drag and drop from the card.

On top of that, I said, screw it, I'll just reformat - it won't let me reformat! Either through Bold or Windows or Blackberry user interface for PC.

Very annoying.

The Bold needs a patch.

Any ideas in the interim anyone?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,938 Global Posts

What you need to do is have the SD card in your bold, and simply go into options, memory, menu, and repair card... should repair it the same way as if the PC would but without loosing you information off the card
    Check out my Theme blog
    Click Here
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    288545BE

maybe you can put the card in a card reader and insert it into your computer and run a disk check on the card? or you could actually just connect the blackberry to your computer with the usb cable and then using windows explorer right click on the card and click check disk. I've did both before and each time it fixed the errors on my card without having to format it...
    Sometimes to want, is better than to have-Spock
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by C_86 View Post
    What you need to do is have the SD card in your bold, and simply go into options, memory, menu, and repair card... should repair it the same way as if the PC would but without loosing you information off the card
    I just bought a 16GB memory Card from ebay and after inserting the card the phone asked me to repair it.

How long does this process usually take because I have been waiting about 5 minutes and the phone is acting very sluggish as if its running a background app, there is also no visible memory card, I assume it is doing some sort of formatting?

Anyone remember the first time inserting a new 16 GB memory card?

Thanks

Edit: Problem Solved, When I formatted the new card on my PC I had placed all the original blackberry folders onto the card from my PC then inserted it into the Blackberry. It didn't like that. So just took out the card, reformatted it from PC, Fat32 8 kb allocation size, then inserted it blank into the Blackberry. Blackberry will then create all the default folders automatically allowing you to add the folders back in later.
    Last edited by oilytrader; 02-02-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Solved
    CrackBerry User

Talking Reformatting media card

After upgrading to a 4g (from a 2g) & using it for month or more I woke up today to find "A media card has been inserted that contains errors.To correct the errors please use a disk error checking utility on a computer."
    After checking this site,I went to work>>>
    I created a folder on my desktop,dragged all my media folders over from my open media card folder ,formatted my card via the scroll down menu option(which was pretty quick),then dragged my media folders back over into my now clean media card folder (this made even easiler & very nice since they're all in one folder),placed the card back into my phone & everything works fine.
    Thanks to everyone in this forum.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Last I heard, the repair deleted the partition off the memory card. That isn't supposed to happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com