Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Damaged screen on BlackBerry 9700

So I've got a damaged screen by the looks of it.

At first it was only the black circle up in the top left corner, but after me, my sister, and my dad all tried playing around with it while doing the 'electrical tape fix', it ended up looking like this in the photo.

The electrical tape fix didn't work, clearly. But I'm still hearing notifications, getting calls and can answer them, just have absolutely no display. This is definitely a screen issue right? So if I buy a replacement screen, it will work?

My issue is I'm moving overseas in 4 months where I'll get a new phone. But right now I need this to keep lasting me another four months. But I can't do that without a screen display! A phone repair place wants close to $200 to replace it, which I can't afford with all these immigration & moving costs.

Where can I buy a screen, for cheap, in Australia. I've seen a few things online like Tmart (although read terrible reviews), and then some on ebay for cheaper than tmart but probably are dodgy screens. Although for $30 for a dodgy not as good screen as original, for 4 months I can probably deal with... I just want something that's going to work and hold out the next 4 months and isn't going to cost me much more than maybe $50. As well as something that will be shipped here to Australia quickly! Something ASAP! Suggestions are greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Damaged screen on BlackBerry 9700-blackberrybroke.jpg
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Ouch

At $200 to repair, you'd be better of picking up a good 2nd hand one on Gumtree (i can just make out that the device has a Wind logo) Not sure where you picked this up from, but there plenty of examples anywhere from 50-140 AUD
    This posting is provided as is and implies no warranties.
    Banned

You need new screen for BB 9700.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by eSport View Post
    At $200 to repair, you'd be better of picking up a good 2nd hand one on Gumtree (i can just make out that the device has a Wind logo) Not sure where you picked this up from, but there plenty of examples anywhere from 50-140 AUD
    Yeah that's why I thought about getting a new screen and doing it myself (I've already pulled it apart once anyways). The cheapest I can find on Gumtree near me is $150 for another 9700 but even that is too much, I don't really want to spend more than $50, it's only needed for another 4 months.

And the Wind logo - I got it while I was living in Canada in 2010/2011. Brought it back with me.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JESSJAME5 View Post
    Yeah that's why I thought about getting a new screen and doing it myself (I've already pulled it apart once anyways). The cheapest I can find on Gumtree near me is $150 for another 9700 but even that is too much, I don't really want to spend more than $50, it's only needed for another 4 months.

And the Wind logo - I got it while I was living in Canada in 2010/2011. Brought it back with me.
    Fair enough.

I've seen a few go on Gumtree for $100, even less. If your not in a hurry .... they do come up from time to time. I always trawling Gumtree and eBay so i come across any i'll PM you.
    This posting is provided as is and implies no warranties.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I got my screen at newegg.com . Not sure they send overseas but they are a pretty big online store. Just make sure you get the right model number. It comes with tools also. For around $50 I paid.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

You can get a good deal on eBay. Make sure you get the correct model number (001,002 or 004) or otherwise you will get a white screen.

These places that are charging you $200 to do it only pay around $20 for a screen and it takes 5 mins to repair. Complete rip-off. Do it yourself at home.