Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Cursor moves by itself... Bold 9700 touchpad

Hey folks,

I have started to take note of an issue that started out small, but is becoming a slight drag. At times it happens that when trying to scroll the cursor on the Bold 9700 (touch-pad) to a specific location to type, it seems to have a mind of its own and moves full speed upwards of the page. When trying to force it down it moves accordingly, but the instant my finger leaves the touch pad, it moves back up-wards. Any ideas on this behavior? I tend to do a quick wipe of the phone face area and touch pad, but doesn't help much. It also happens, peculiarly when trying to enter a contact info, or trying to type a message. I am thinking some kind of static or something?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    PIN
    GONE!

Have you tried adjusting the trackpad sensitivity? Options>Screen/Keyboard. See trackpad adjustments. Play around with those and see if you notice any changes.
    Device list: 7250> 8700C > HTC Tilt> 8300> 8310> 9700> Samsung Captivate

Latest Mobile Speed Test in St. Louis on my 9700
    http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/results/1121082395.jpg
    Thanked by:
    glebarr (08-04-2011) 
    glebarr likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default cursor moving on its own - 9700 trackpad

I have noticed my 9700 does the same thing without me touching the trackpad at all. If I pick it up it doesn't move but the second I lay it down horizontally on the desk it begins moving again. I kept noticing the screen coming on without me touching it but didn't know what was causing it.

Anyone got any recent information on this?
    CrackBerry User

Default Another 9700 with a ghost in the trackpad

I have the same problem. My provider said it was a mechanical issue and that it would take 2-4 weeks to send the unit away and have it serviced, and that maybe I should wait till (a) it's happening all the time and (b) RIM gets their service act together. So I'm coping with it. Should I?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mine is doing the same thing. And I have noticed when typing messages, the characters change to capitals, or another character set, usually something that can have an accent on it.

And I have noticed this only happens to me when I am outside and temperatures are cold, less 10 degrees C....yup I've been keeping track of this.

Andrew
    Thanked by:
    Geeblogger (05-27-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Mine does the same thing from time to time. I have noticed that a battery pull will fix the issue.
    Go beyond your limit.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by divingindeep View Post
    Mine does the same thing from time to time. I have noticed that a battery pull will fix the issue.
    This is very true. only happens for me when im outside, so i feel that this is because of the Sun ? could this be tho?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default its probably…

a ghost!

It's an optical sensor, not a touch thing - so a lot of things can play with it - I've been able to mess with it by using bright lights, laser pointers, you can even move it if your finger is just above it, but not quite touching it.
    Thanked by:
    AlexNotte (08-05-2011) 
    AlexNotte likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Nelimungous View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the trackpad sensitivity? Options>Screen/Keyboard. See trackpad adjustments. Play around with those and see if you notice any changes.
    I adjusted the sensitivity from 70 to 60 to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip Nelimungous. I'll post again if i find more or if the problem goes away.
    Go beyond your limit.
    CrackBerry User

Default adjusting sensitivity doesn't work

I adjusted the sensitivity early on; it didn't change anything. I'd try pulling the battery, but it sure doesn't seem likely it would fix it: it seems almost mechanical to me (like something to do with the internal working of the trackpad -- I've had trackpads on laptops where the cursor drifted. Usually there, though, I could stop it by tapping on the pad).

This happens all the time, by the way, not just outside or at certain temperatures.

-- Russ
    Last edited by rhunt08; 03-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    CrackBerry User

After adjusting the sensitivity the problem has returned. I even adjusted it down as low as it would go. It is happening while sitting on my desk inside, so it has nothing to do with the sun or cold.
    Go beyond your limit.
    Banned

PIN
    24HELLO

The trackpads are a fail.

CrackBerry User

Mine is giving this kind of problem too, I am expecting tomorrow my first replacement and if doesn't work properly again I will get a bold9000 don't care about the trackbold or the battery life, I think the 9000 is a better quality of phone than 9700 that looks so cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

God this trackpad ****/issue is the reason I will be returning the 9700. How could RIM release the thing with these many issues??!!!

Reducing sensitivity does nothing.
    CrackBerry Abuser

i noticed the same issue,
    I opened up the phone and placed one piece of black electrical tape right underneath the trackpad to raise it (which is the trackpad fix forum somewhere in the 9700)

ever since I did that, the movement has stopped. If worst comes to worst every 9700 has a 1 year warranty right? lol
    mustbeCRACKBERRYaddict
    http://www.twitter.com/mustbesonny
    mustbeBOLD OS: 5.0.0.586
    mustbeSTORM OS: 5.0.0.451
    LATEST WORK: All Black Everything 9700 vs 9000
    OTHER WORK: Hers&His Custom Purple Chrome 9700 & White Bezel 9700
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Possessed Cursor

I've been having the same problem with the cursor on my Bold 9700. I've tried everything suggested on the forums but nothing seemed to work. When I called AT&T (my carrier) on how I might be able to resolve the issue, they stated that it was a manufacturers problem. Their only suggestion was to have it replaced. Thank goodness my phone is still under warranty!

I think your best bet if you're having this problem is to bring it to an authorized dealer and see if they can fix it or exchange it if you're still under warranty
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like replacement or repair is the option. I'm surprised I haven't seen this issue raised elsewhere: sounds like a pretty common problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mine has been doing this under low light since I got it in March. Finally I called AT&T and they are sending out a replacement phone. That will be a "refurbished" unit so I hope I don't get someone else's problems.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,063 Global Posts

Strange so many people are having this issue...in the 4 months I have had my 9700 I have never noticed this.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

Ive had the same issues with my (2nd) 9700. My issues only happen at night strangely enough & when i run a keyboard Test (Options/Status/(type) test) it shows that the trackpad is continuously moving up & right. I tried to put up with it because i had only had this replacement for 2 weeks & didnt want to wait another 2-4 weeks for a new one even though i have an 8520 as a spare so its not to bad, but give up in the end especially when i realised the standby key wasnt working. Something i had noticed almost straight away when i recieved this new phone was that the trackpad felt loose compared to my previous phone.
    CrackBerry User

This is due to light throwing off the sensor in the trackpad. It happens to me whenever I'm outside in direct sunlight. I have one of the original 9700s and don't know if new ones have had this issue fixed.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH Harmonics ♬

I own 4 later issued 9700's and have yet to see this happen, so my guess would be they fixed it. Or I'm lucky
    Spiral_ouT Keep Going
    Lateralus

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Never experienced that problem before.

CrackBerry User

I have never had this issue, it sounds strange and I hope this never happens to mine. Have had for one month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast