CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Brand new 9700 not holding 3G signal

Can anyone help me or have any suggestions? My brand new 9700 is not holding a 3G signal. I have full EDGE and am in a area that has 3G lit up like a christmas tree! If I restart or battery pull the phone it shows 3G but goes away after a minute or so. I just want my 3G to work!!! I love this phone!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

My experience has been that sometimes the 3G does cut out, especially when in a building. It doesn't seem necessarily to be based on signal strength. It's held onto a 3G signal with 2 bars, but sometimes it's cut out at 4 bars. I'm wondering what the signal strength indicator is really measuring. My suspicion is that it really measures EDGE/GPRS signal strength and not 3G strength.
    BTW I'm on .344 OS.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. This is driving me crazy.

CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Is anyone else having this problem?!?! I want to see 3G on my phone, I bought the 3G phone for a reason, waited on tmobile for years to get a 3G blackberry.

CrackBerry Genius

Seldom do I see 3G on my phone. Its the crappy 3G service from T-Mobile not the hardware.
    HTC EVO
    Epic
    Verizon IPhone4
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    yep on my BB

Manage connections -> Mobile network options -> network selection change from auto to manual -> scan available networks -> 3G. That worked for me. Mine defaults back to 2G sometimes.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,443 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

You will not see 3G on your phone all the time. It takes excellent reception to get good 3G and then I think that AT&T is working on a way to bump alot of people off of 3G is they are not using it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    795F86BF

I'm sorry about your guys' trouble. My 3G works great in Midtown, NY (as expected) and is even impressive in Staten Island.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

I've had pretty good luck with 3G in Manhattan as well. (although it sometimes drops to EDGE when I'm in the stairwell of my building)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask

Im in NYC and have had 3G since last Friday..Its never reverted to edge. However, speedtests ive performed with extremelabs have shown dismal/poor download/upload speeds....At this point IMHO believe Tmobs 3G has something to be desired....Love the 9700 not certain about tmob 3G...The very reason i switched from the 8900
    "When a man stares into the abyss and sees nothing but darkness, this is the time that he finds his character. And it is his character, that keeps him from falling into the abyss."

CrackBerry User

My 3G on my G1 works Almost...ALMOST! KINDA!!! everywhere flawlessly....But it is slow sometimes....But sometimes you gotta think...its never gonna be as fast as i want it when i want it. Im usually left frustrated and waiting on occasion...o well whatever....lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    215FE816

I get intermitent 3G signal drops. Sometimes I see the 3G with the four dots and than sometimes I do not see the four dots at all. Do the dots indicate 3G signal strength?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask

My latest speedtest here in Manhattan on 3G Download 1229.86 Kibits/s Max 1229.86
    Upload 49.37 Kbits/s Max 105.26
    "When a man stares into the abyss and sees nothing but darkness, this is the time that he finds his character. And it is his character, that keeps him from falling into the abyss."

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    215FE816

Quote Originally Posted by scottami View Post
    My latest speedtest here in Manhattan on 3G Download 1229.86 Kibits/s Max 1229.86
    Upload 49.37 Kbits/s Max 105.26
    I don't know much about speeds, but are those numbers good?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

I am experiencing the same thing here in Philly. I also have a 9000 and the 3G never goes away. Also right now I'm outside in my car.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Same thing happening in LA......i think it's still a work in progress with tmobile
    CrackBerry User

I am in CT, well within the 3G areas and I have seen it only a couple of times briefly since Monday when I got the 9700. I am unhappy as well since one of my reasons for upgrading was for 3G.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,443 Global Posts
    PIN
    Not - NO!

Welcome to the world of 3G!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    soon as i get the phone

I feel your pain...its TMO's service.

Example....if i put my berry in the dead center of my desk, i get 3g service....i move it a millimeter to up down lft rt, gone back to t edge...the min i want 3 feet away frm my desk 3g.

which brings me to the conclusion thas its tmo....hopefully it gets rectified ONE DAY, but im not holding my breath.
    CrackBerry User

The same thing is happening to me, I don't get 3G in my house I only get EDGE, but has soon has I step foot outside 3G bars are filled up so it's just a T-Mobile issue.
    CrackBerry Abuser

yes 3G is fickring I am sitting in the family room and dont move but the signal bars run running up and down just one reson to go back to the 9000 the 3G full signal not flickring.
    CrackBerry User

I had to change my Bold 9700 after one day. It kept on dropping calls after two minutes.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

So here is a new one....I force 3G on the phone and the connection gets really, really slow. EDGE is as fast as I have ever seen it! Any ideas or settings that have worked for anyone?