Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BOLD 9700 weird trackpad issues

Hey

OK! I am having some weird issues with my bold 9700. I was having trackpad issues with it, so i got the trackpad replaced and the trackpad was working for about 3 hours perfectly fine and then it stopped working again I would pull out the battery and the issue would be resolved for a brief period of time and then it would go down again. So I figured that it was a software issue. I upgraded to os6, but to no avail. So then I did a complete headset wipe and still no luck. I have tried to cover all hardware and software ends but it has not worked. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this, seems like you guys know a lot more than rogers/bell tech support agents.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts

Upgrade your OS to your carrier's latest and see if that helps. If not, it's most likely a hardware issue or the connection of the trackpad to your motherboard isn't connected properly. Since you already opened it up and replaced your trackpad, open it up again and see if the trackpad connection is making a tight connection with the back of the motherboard. Try it again with your old trackpad.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran91 View Post
    Upgrade your OS to your carrier's latest and see if that helps. If not, it's most likely a hardware issue or the connection of the trackpad to your motherboard isn't connected properly. Since you already opened it up and replaced your trackpad, open it up again and see if the trackpad connection is making a tight connection with the back of the motherboard. Try it again with your old trackpad.
    That also confirms a voided warranty, something the OP should have thought about beforehand, taking it to a repair shop is the only way out now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

The infrequency of the problem is what confuses me and leads me to believe it's more of a hardware related issue.

I had a female customer the other day that simply could use her trackpad because she had disgustingly large and flat thumbpads. The sides of her thumb bulged out around her nail like the hips of a horse... ten axe-handles and two tomato cans wide (as my father would put it). It was hideous, but anyway, it prevented the trackpad from knowing which way she was telling it to go, as it covered the whole thing. I had to retrain her to use the very tip of her digit in order to work it. Just sayin', maybe that's the problem here.

Also, one of my girlfriends has naturally cold hands and because of the heat sensitivity of the trackpad she can't use her 9700 without breathing heavily into her palms first. It's quite hilarious actually. Same reason she can't use touch screen phones. I'm pretty sure the trackpad of the BB is both pressure and heat sensitive, so cold hands shouldn't be too much of an issue, I'd suggest increasing the sensitivity of your pad and see if that helps.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I actually got the trackpad replaced from a repair shop and even then it did not work. I actually downgraded to os5 (and the most recent version for Bell). The trackpad works on and off sometimes. I guess if the connection between the trackpad and the motherboard is loose then I might not be able to get that fixed. How do I find out if thats the issue. And sometimes when the trackpad is working its still laggy and is not as responsive at times. What else could I possibly do?
    thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    The infrequency of the problem is what confuses me and leads me to believe it's more of a hardware related issue.

I had a female customer the other day that simply could use her trackpad because she had disgustingly large and flat thumbpads. The sides of her thumb bulged out around her nail like the hips of a horse... ten axe-handles and two tomato cans wide (as my father would put it). It was hideous, but anyway, it prevented the trackpad from knowing which way she was telling it to go, as it covered the whole thing. I had to retrain her to use the very tip of her digit in order to work it. Just sayin', maybe that's the problem here.

Also, one of my girlfriends has naturally cold hands and because of the heat sensitivity of the trackpad she can't use her 9700 without breathing heavily into her palms first. It's quite hilarious actually. Same reason she can't use touch screen phones. I'm pretty sure the trackpad of the BB is both pressure and heat sensitive, so cold hands shouldn't be too much of an issue, I'd suggest increasing the sensitivity of your pad and see if that helps.
    BTB, Your a star. Just love it. How did you handle that one in the shop?

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousfen View Post
    BTB, Your a star. Just love it. How did you handle that one in the shop?

Very delicately, she could've beat me up with her thumbs alone!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Very delicately, she could've beat me up with her thumbs alone!!!
    And yea I actually don't have any issues with my thumbs, also I don't think that my fingers are too cold to work with the trackpad. I actually use both a bold 9780 and torch besides this bold 9700 and they work just fine.

Also whenever I restore the software the trackapd works fine for about 2-3 hours. Then the phone freezes and the screen whites out for about 10 seconds and then the phone reboots. So then what do you guys could be wrong? Honestly you guys have been more helpful than tech support agents.

Thanks

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,528 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Strongbow, please.

Sounds to me like you need to reassemble the trackpad again. Something is probably causing a voltage fluctuation that shuts the device down. Return it to the repair shop. It could be a bad part, or simply shoddy work, and their work should have a warranty.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts
    PIN
    Point

Dude,
    Nuke your phone....full wipe...
    Remove memory card...
    Remember only bb OS no apps, mails no sim card.
    Like a new out of box.

Go to option >>status>>type test (you won't see any thing)>> run all the test to see any hawdware issue.

May be got some problem in main pcb.
    Or
    Your data is curropted.

Forget about leaked OS6 beta and home made hybrids. Download and install the latest OS which has carrier approval - see the sticky messages at the top of forum. If you have any third party apps I suggest full wipe and start with just the stock OS, then add the extras one at a time as testing proves each one is working OK.

As a general rule of thumb if a problem is reproducible with a specific sequence of actions it is software related. If it is entirely random in occurrence it is probably hardware.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones

This is BS. I have large hands (difficult to find gloves big enough) and never had a problem, so I did a quick test. The trackpad doesn't care about the size of the piece of anatomy covering it, but it seems to need some kind of texture to trigger the optical response.

First I took my 9700 and put my hand flat across the whole keyboard and all except the very top of the screen, leaving enough to see cursor movement in the top two lines. The cursor moved just fine.

Next I took a ball pen and tried the top of that... no luck until I covered the tip with a layer of fissue paper, then it worked fine. I tried again withthe tissue over the pointed end and it still worked with a "stylus" down to about 1/8". Finally I tried some flat sheets of paper. Unprinted copier paper works but needs to cover at least half of the sensor. Glossy paper failed until a barcode pased over the sensor.

Conclusion... Big coverage is fine. Trackpad sensitivity falls off as size reduces, and becomes erratic with very small contact areas. A textured contact area works better than a smooth or glossy contact area.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    This is BS. I have large hands (difficult to find gloves big enough) and never had a problem, so I did a quick test. The trackpad doesn't care about the size of the piece of anatomy covering it, but it seems to need some kind of texture to trigger the optical response.

First I took my 9700 and put my hand flat across the whole keyboard and all except the very top of the screen, leaving enough to see cursor movement in the top two lines. The cursor moved just fine.

Next I took a ball pen and tried the top of that... no luck until I covered the tip with a layer of fissue paper, then it worked fine. I tried again withthe tissue over the pointed end and it still worked with a "stylus" down to about 1/8". Finally I tried some flat sheets of paper. Unprinted copier paper works but needs to cover at least half of the sensor. Glossy paper failed until a barcode pased over the sensor.

Conclusion... Big coverage is fine. Trackpad sensitivity falls off as size reduces, and becomes erratic with very small contact areas. A textured contact area works better than a smooth or glossy contact area.
    Just tellin' what I experienced. She was the only person that had troubles with it. Her husband, I and my coworkers all made it work just fine. When I taught her to use the very tip of the thumb it worked just fine. Perhaps that's because of rougher skin at that point, providing more texture, but it seemed more logical to me to think of it as a size problem. Then again perhaps it was just an isolated instance, but not BS by any means.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hey guys,

Im having exactly the same issue. My trackpad is frozen since the day I bought it from Amazon (unlocked). When I changed the trackpad for a new one, it worked for one day or so, but then it froze again.

Have someone found what the issue is?

Cheers
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm having the same issue. I've tried 3 different trackpads (I have a bunch of dead 9700s...) and none of them work. Sometimes after a battery pull it will work for a bit but will eventually stop.

Any ideas? I've tried a full OS reload. The connector seems to be inserted correctly. Not sure where to go from here?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hello Everyone!, I have the same issue as the guy who started the post. I didnt brake the trackpad or anything, I just had the problem, it started to go slow, then restarting it, the trackpad died. After some restarts, the trackpad worked again, and then the cellphone restarted by itself. Then I installed OS6 official, I couldnt accept terms and conditions!, i couldnt use it. I wipped the phone by the passwords attemps, and then I downgraded the software to 5.0, i deleted allthe apps i could by desktop software, and it worked, after upgrading to os 6.0, and installing the main apps, twiiter, and restoring my back up, after some hours, now the trackpad is dead again!,It first started to go crazy, after the restart it died, dont even click. Your help would be so great full, PLEASE HEEEEEEEEEELP!!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tomacho27 View Post
    Hello Everyone!, I have the same issue as the guy who started the post. I didnt brake the trackpad or anything, I just had the problem, it started to go slow, then restarting it, the trackpad died. After some restarts, the trackpad worked again, and then the cellphone restarted by itself. Then I installed OS6 official, I couldnt accept terms and conditions!, i couldnt use it. I wipped the phone by the passwords attemps, and then I downgraded the software to 5.0, i deleted allthe apps i could by desktop software, and it worked, after upgrading to os 6.0, and installing the main apps, twiiter, and restoring my back up, after some hours, now the trackpad is dead again!,It first started to go crazy, after the restart it died, dont even click. Your help would be so great full, PLEASE HEEEEEEEEEELP!!
    Have you went to your carrier for a warranty exchange or repair? If it's under warranty, you're in luck. If it isn't, you'll sadly, need a new or used replacement 9700 or 9780.

CrackBerry Newbie

There's a known fault with the motherboard. If your not confident with a heat gun you'll probably need the phone sending off to be repaired.