Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default bold 9700 keys are crap

i only had my 9700 for less than 3 weeks and i absolutely hate that fkn keyboard
    its small and the keys are oddly shaped which forces me to use my fingernails to type.

a week ago i notticed that the coating on the keys is wearing off already

2fkn weeks old damn it!!!!!!!!!!!

i already have 3 keys with light poking thru the hole in the coating

wtf RIM

i really hate to say this because i love the blackbery phone but it seems that the quality goes down the drain with these new devices

i dropped my old 8320 curve about 8 times on concrete and there was barely a scratch on it.
    and it was built solid. no squeaks or anything moving around

my 8900 i dropped once and it looked like a damn chew toy
    although it was still better built than 9700 at lest 8900 keys held up for about 2-3 months before wearing off

im so disapointed because i paid over 500 dollars for this damn phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

i wonder if RIM people ever show up on these boards
    because if i built something of this quality id be embarrassed to talk to the customers personally.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    ta nina santa maria

the keys are incredible 3 months and going strong
  4. GG1
    CrackBerry Genius

I have no quality issues with mine. Having said that, I am amazed at how many people do have issues with keyboards, loose bezels, keys falling off, paint rubbing off etc... Unacceptable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

i can agree the keys are abit squeezed in but it takes time to get used to a new device like the 9700.
    CrackBerry Newbie

That is the only complaint I have, they do seem cramped.

But I am hoping I get used to it.

I have not had any quality issues though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

well let me word it a lil differently
    i had the 8320 and curve 8900 the keys are same exact size the phone size didnt change
    its the shape of the keys that forces you to use your fingernail instead of your thumb or finger.
    and that wears off the coat on the keys, creating very annoying holes in paing thru which the backlight shines thru and makes the phone look ugly and confuses people because they now have holes allover the keyboard.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    PIN
    21B1777C

If you've only had it for 3 weeks and there are issues with the build quality, return the phone, it has a 1 year warranty.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have only had my phone a few days, but I have no problem typing on it....matter of fact, I find it a breeze and rarely make any mistakes on it.

As far as the paint wearing off on the keys, I haven't had it long enough, but that is unacceptable IMO.

Honestly though, I can type without looking at they keys, so is no problem with me, however would be a little pissed being it is one of the top BB phones out.

I love mine and couldn't think of going with another phone....even though I was a hair away from a Nexus One, which was a nice phone.
    CrackBerry User

where is your phone made?

ps. how about a nail clipper?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I don't have any quality issues with my current keyboard, but on my first 9700 I did have a loose call end button. The paint isn't coming off of my keyboard, but I don't have to use my fingernails to type. My thumbs work just fine and I have large hands.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    PIN
    218B8D07

I have yet to have any issues typing on the 9700. As a matter of fact, I love typing on it. One small thing, not necessarily a problem with the keys, but if you hold down alt or the caps button and delete, it deletes the entire message you're sending. It's something I have to get used to but not a problem at all with the keys.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    217B69EA

Keyboard is a bit tight yes but I don't have any quality issue neither. Bought mine in dec. Sorry to hear about yours man.

CrackBerry Abuser

I like my keyboard a lot. I've had mine about a month. I think the size of the kbd is comparable to the Curves I had before. The little ridges make it much easier for me to type with my fingertips. I bet my speed has gone up 20% and accuracy maybe 10%. I do have relatively thin fingers for a guy and virtually no fingernails.

In the month I've had it (which coincided with a billing period) I've exchanged over 10k sms messages, probably a similar amount of BBM and IM messages, and maybe 5-800 emails. There's no noticeable wear on the keys. But again, I use the pads of my thumbs, not my nails.

To another poster - I believe the alt-key behavior has gone back to what you expect in later OS versions. I'm on .442, and can say for certain I don't have that issue.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,269 Global Posts
    PIN
    330c56f6

BEST, PHONE, EVER!!! BESTTER THAN ALL IPHONES I've HAD AND HELIO OCEAN

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,689 Global Posts

i'm guessing your fingernails are chipping the paint.

i use my thumbs.
    Previously: Blackberry Bold 9700 - 6.0.0.344
    Currently: Motorola Atrix - Android 2.2

"Simplicity provides a fine line between elegance and plainness."
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,693 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

I've used berries since my first work-issued, ugly, blue thing waaaay back! Out of all of them ever since then, I've loved the spacing of the keys on my old 8310, and the keyboard on the 9000 was very comfortable. However, I've had no problem going to the 9700. Also, it's weird that the paint is chipping - I have acrylic nails and I use them to type. But I've had no paint chips at all! Have had the device since Nov 18th.
    Someone asked build location - mine is from Mexico.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN

I also started out with a BlueBerry, and had a personal 8320 and a work-issued 9000. I just went to a 9700 last weekend. The keyboard feels wrong (I have no other way to describe it), but considering how bad it feels, I am amazed at how well I'm typing on it. And I'm a big guy with big hands, and I use my thumb pads to hit the keys just fine.
    Enjoy yourself.. Enjoy others too if given the chance...

GO CUBS GO!!!

Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    18,693 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Quote Originally Posted by JustPlainJef View Post
    I also started out with a BlueBerry, and had a personal 8320 and a work-issued 9000. I just went to a 9700 last weekend. The keyboard feels wrong (I have no other way to describe it), but considering how bad it feels, I am amazed at how well I'm typing on it. And I'm a big guy with big hands, and I use my thumb pads to hit the keys just fine.
    I think it may be unfamiliariy, in a way. But if you have big hands you may be at a disadvantage.
    My husband loves my 9700, but because he plays bass he has funny fingertips, with calluses. He can't use my device and still has his 9000.
    He's waiting for the next largish Berry!

CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by raverx3m View Post
    because if i built something of this quality id be embarrassed to talk to the customers personally.
    Ok then how do you explain the countless people that don't have this problem? They are RIMs doing as well.

You must have done something to cause the paint to chip. It doesn't just MAGICALLY chip on its own. User error is always a consideration in a situation like this.

Try looking at the whole picture before shooting off at the mouth and making broad assumptions that can't be 100% verified for 100% of the people that use the same product.
    Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 02-19-2010 at 06:30 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    PIN
    HURDURR

Had mine 2mo's and no issues.. Love they keyboard, love the shape. Still getting used to the size coming from a 9000.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,187 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

I came to BB from the Sidekick line, which most likely has the largest & most spaceous keyboard of anything on the market. It only took a couple of weeks to get the keyboard down. I just have to angle my thumbs differently than on the Sidekick, but that's the ONLY thing that's changed. Now, I think the keyboard is pretty darn comfortable. I suggest you get some nail clippers & start typing w/ the tips of your thumbs & not your nails & you'll keep the paint from chipping.
    CrackBerry User

I noticed that the keys were more awkward at first too... and I thought it was way worse than my 8310. My fingers would slip off all of the time. Then I thought maybe it was just because of my fingernails. Once they were clipped the typing is just so much easier. So, now I practice good nail hygiene and i can BBM all I want!

I will say this though... the keyboard is likely designed too close together. When you compare the physical attributes of the 8300 series to the 9700, the body looks like it could have accepted a "better" keyboard such as on the 8300 line. I guess though that in order to stay ahead of the curve (no pun intended) they need to make the phones appear to be advanced from previous generations.

Global Posts
    9,482 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

i have no issue with mine!
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raverx3m View Post
    The keyboard is fine....

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast