Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold 9700 Keeps Rebooting?

So I bought my AT&T Bold 9700 last month when it first came out, and have had no troubles with it so far. I've tried searching for a thread like this but haven't found any.

My 9700 just randomly "rebooted" this morning, where the screen goes black and the red led light turns on for a couple of seconds. This has happened to me before on my old 9000, where after it would then start up again. Nearing the time when I replaced it, it would do it quite frequently (and to think it just started getting really bad AFTER the 1 year warranty on it expired!). So back to the 9700, the progress bar that comes up when you're starting up the device would then come up, and sometimes load for about half an inch, sometimes only up to an eighth, before the whole thing would start again - the screen would turn black, the red led turns on, and the progress bar would come up again.

I pulling the battery out for a few minutes and putting it back in but its still doing it. I then pulled it out for about an hour and its still doing it again.

Help!

Global Posts
    36,005 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Something has corrupted your OS. You'll need to reload it, and possibly wipe it first. I hope you have a good back up file, it would be amazing if you can get it, and it may take god timing to get anything to recognize it. Have you ever done an OS install or wipe before?

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,512 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for that link, though I noticed it said you need a windows computer. I have a mac, is there another set of instructions for a mac?
    Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Hi guys, taah someting similar happen to me when i upgrade from my 8900 to the 9700.. was rebooting all the time, but in my case .. just go back to normal real fast after de rebooting..

i come here asking for any idea.. before i star to putting my phone apart in pieces.. so calm down and just try simple maybe solutions first..

what ppl recomend me to do was to check if by the time i received my new phone i did the wizar tranfer.. to bring all my stuff from the 8900 to the 9700.. answer YES! so what i tranfer other than contacts and mails.. was 3rd party app!! there was the problem!! some of the app i was using on the 8900 dont work on the 9700.. try checking that first and then go ahead and put the phone apart as the other guys told ya lol.. joking! good luck..
    It's Not Personal, it's Just Business ...
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks for all the help, chamomiami, I did sync my contacts and bbm contacts into my new 9700, however I didn't sync any 3rd party apps, so I don't think that's what corrupted it.

From what I gathered, even if I find the instructions to reload the OS for a mac, I still would lose all my data inside the phone, so I gave AT&T a call and they're sending me a warranty replacement. While I'm gonna lose some contacts and emails, at least I still have what I backed up last month!

Guess I just have to accept that electronics just spontaneously break! Make this a lesson for you to frequently back up your phones!
    CrackBerry User

i have the same problem

i did the reinstall but the phone reset b4 it was done and it keeps resetting b4 it boots up

HELP ME

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Have a read!

Global Posts
    36,005 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbrian View Post
    Have a read!

Carlos, what RB posted is correct. My giude covers every question you've asked, including timing. Battery out, plug USB in, open loader to the second screen, put in the battery, click ok as soon as you see the pin.

Z/Q Warrior °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° `°•.¸¸.•° Born to ™ °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    T OF YOUR FINEST PLEASE!

I had this happen once after trying to delete the demo song on the device and rebooting to see if the deletion stuck... phone went through usual reboot, though then and ever since the red light stays and black screen before boot up bar both stay on longer. Anyway, that time it went through the startup just briefly, going about 1/16 of an inch and then red light and black screen and boot up bar again. That hasn't happen since, but the long wait for boot up screen is constant. I'm not too worried about it, though I am ticked off that the demo song won't delete.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am experiencing a similar problem with my bold 9700. However, my device is just booting for 5 seconds and then starting back the process all over. When I try using the app loader it's recognising my PIN and when I reach to the device application selection window it's telling me "the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for that device that you have connected to the computer". I tried everything and nothing seems to be working.

Could anyone help?!
    Where I'm in life no one can follow!

Global Posts
    36,005 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by AruNe View Post
    I am experiencing a similar problem with my bold 9700. However, my device is just booting for 5 seconds and then starting back the process all over. When I try using the app loader it's recognising my PIN and when I reach to the device application selection window it's telling me "the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for that device that you have connected to the computer". I tried everything and nothing seems to be working.

Could anyone help?!
    Since you are able to get it connected, follow my guide, and do the backups first. Probably you aren't able to load the OS because you have none downloaded/installed, or it's the same OS that is currently on your phone.

Z/Q Warrior °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° `°•.¸¸.•° Born to ™ °•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•°` `°•.¸¸.•° Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Newbie

well mine is pretty much not the same as most of you. My bold 9700 reboots every few seconds (which really annoys me) coz its disturbing me during my work. I can't make outgoing calls, neither can receive calls coz the damn phone keeps rebooting itself. The thing is, I dunno whether to call it reboot, or the screen just blacken out by itself for 30 seconds then it appears again (for like less than 10 seconds) then it goes black again. Is this what you call reboot? if its not, what is happening to my BB? and can anyone help me? Its really2 urgent. TQ

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by harris91 View Post
    well mine is pretty much not the same as most of you. My bold 9700 reboots every few seconds (which really annoys me) coz its disturbing me during my work. I can't make outgoing calls, neither can receive calls coz the damn phone keeps rebooting itself. The thing is, I dunno whether to call it reboot, or the screen just blacken out by itself for 30 seconds then it appears again (for like less than 10 seconds) then it goes black again. Is this what you call reboot? if its not, what is happening to my BB? and can anyone help me? Its really2 urgent. TQ
    Does it show the blackberry screen with progress bar when it keeps rebooting? That's known as an endless reboot. You will need to connect it to the computer and reload the OS if that's the case.
    CrackBerry Newbie

nope it doesnt show the progress bar. it just flashes on and off. its like pressing the lock key on and off. it just wont stop. it happens rapidly!

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by harris91 View Post
    nope it doesnt show the progress bar. it just flashes on and off. its like pressing the lock key on and off. it just wont stop. it happens rapidly!
    If your blackberry is still under warranty, take it to your carrier and either request a repair or exchange. Sounds like a faulty backlight on the screen.
    CrackBerry Newbie

mine shows a progress bar and ends with a white screen having two options
    JVM Error 545
    Reset
    What do i do to restore?

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by raghuveer View Post
    mine shows a progress bar and ends with a white screen having two options
    JVM Error 545
    Reset
    What do i do to restore?
    If you haven't already done so, install the device software from your carrier and then, launch Command Prompt (Start > Run. Type cmd and hit enter to launch it.) Then open an explorer window, copy the address of C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\RESEARCH IN MOTION\APPLOADER (windows xp) or if using windows vista/7 64-bit, C:\PROGRAM FILES (x86)\COMMON FILES\RESRARCH IN MOTION\APPLOADER and then paste it in the command prompt window after typing cd. Hit enter.
    Now with your blackberry connected, type in loader.exe /nojvm. Apploader will pop-op, go through the process of formatting the flash chip, reloading the OS and laying out a new JVM.

If you didn't make a backup, there isn't much you can do either.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thanks alot i have tried it,so far working good then ever
    CrackBerry Newbie

sorry ,i got he problem back ,stays with error JVM 525

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by raghuveer View Post
    sorry ,i got he problem back ,stays with error JVM 525
    It could be a flash memory issue. You'll need a new blackberry if it keeps doing so. Have you tried OS 5 instead?