Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. type_hks's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Blackberry 9700 Media Card Reader

    Hi everyone,

    I am new to crackberry.com. Anyway, I am having a very annoying problem with my bold. My media card is not working. I like to take pics and use it for music. I have tried everything possible except going to fix it at the local cell repair shop for 75 cad. (which includes the replacement of the media card reader)

    I have tried the following:

    1. upgraded to OS 6.0.0.418 - still did not recognize the sd card

    2. verify whether the sd card is corrupted - I can access all the pictures/videos/music through the computer using a sd reader

    3. formatted the sd card - no luck

    4. used a friends SD card and nothing is reading - it does not detect the presence of a sd card

    5. put my micro sd card into my friend's bold 9700 and it works

    6. tried to use a 1gb and 2gb sd card and no luck either.

    I'm using the 2gb micro sd card that came with the phone.


    Any suggestions? or is there a DIY to replace the micro sd card reader? Is it hard to do?

    I've searched many forums but I cant find one that talks about replacement of the micro sd card reader.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. tmarkt utd's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Hi,
    I am no expert at all, but what struck me was that you have updated to OS6 for the Bold 9700 - which I believe will be an unofficial/leaked version. This would be my first thought as to why the SD card will not function correctly.
    I hope this is somewhat useful.

    Mark.
  3. Ikki's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Hi there,

    Best thing you can do is to take your phone into a repair shop. It does sound like your media card reader is defective, there's nothing much you can do about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkt utd View Post
    Hi,
    I am no expert at all, but what struck me was that you have updated to OS6 for the Bold 9700 - which I believe will be an unofficial/leaked version. This would be my first thought as to why the SD card will not function correctly.
    I hope this is somewhat useful.

    Mark.
    The OP says:

    Quote Originally Posted by type_hks View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I am new to crackberry.com. Anyway, I am having a very annoying problem with my bold. My media card is not working. I like to take pics and use it for music. I have tried everything possible except going to fix it at the local cell repair shop for 75 cad. (which includes the replacement of the media card reader)

    I have tried the following:

    1. upgraded to OS 6.0.0.418 - still did not recognize the sd card

    ...
    This makes me presume that under OS5 the media card reader didn't work so he upgraded his device to OS6 hoping that it would fix the problem, which clearly didn't. So it's not a software issue.
    Last edited by Ikki; 12-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.
  4. type_hks's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Thanks for the quick responses.


    I tried all the versions of OS5 and the media card still did not work.

    Does anyone have experience with replacing a media card reader?
  5. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,198 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #5  

    Default

    This is a hardware issue and the device will need a warranty exchange. Don't risk voiding the warranty. My first bold 9700 had this issue 5 weeks after getting it and nothing changed anything. A swap did it, so it's been working excellent ever since.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  6. type_hks's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Just a quick update -

    So I did not have my media reader working for almost 3 months. Anyway, my friend spilled a beer on my phone so I took out the batter instantly to prevent any damage from the water.

    Then I went home and used the dryer to heat it up.

    Next thing you know, my blackberry says that the sd card is detected and loads up all my pics and wallpaper.

    I have no clue what is going on but I'm happy for now.
  7. Rootbrian's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    12,198 Posts
    PIN
    Optional, but not needed.
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by type_hks View Post
    Just a quick update -

    So I did not have my media reader working for almost 3 months. Anyway, my friend spilled a beer on my phone so I took out the batter instantly to prevent any damage from the water.

    Then I went home and used the dryer to heat it up.

    Next thing you know, my blackberry says that the sd card is detected and loads up all my pics and wallpaper.

    I have no clue what is going on but I'm happy for now.
    It could be a loose connection and the beer residue that's damp is probably keeping it connected. Hair dryer isn't a good idea, letting it sit on a heater for a few days or weeks, or letting it sit in a bag of those packets you find in shoes titled "DO NOT EAT", it'll dry it out quickly.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  8. type_hks's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

    Default

    Nevermind. Its acting up again. Sometimes it detects it and sometimes it doesnt. I'm just going to switch the damn reader.
  9. Dave H3222's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I had the same problem with my 9700 also other issues, I sent my 9700 in for repair and they corrected all issues except the sd card. Their response was the sd reader was not being read by the motherboard? Now my question is, if the motherboard is not reading the sd card would the phone work at all?

    Dave
  10. Mahmoud Ibrahim's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #10  

    Thumbs up

    WOW! so i will spill a bear tomorrow on it what a cool idea!!! :P LOL. Thank you for that brilliant idea!

Posting Permissions