Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone considering an upgrade to 9790 or 9900?

I've had my 9700 for about 18 mos and love it. I use it mainly for work and personal email and instant messaging/text messaging, facebook and twitter usage. Couple things I dislike about this phone are the browser closing pages because it's too big and the app memory is miniscule. I only have a handful of apps and the phone is getting really slow and difficult. I always crunch my os whenever I upgrade but I'm running OS6 and the OS alone takes up way too much space.

I absolutely hate typing on a touch type so I won't be jumping ship to android or iphone. Just wondering what thoughts the 9700 users have on the 9790 vs 9900. I live in the US so the 9790 is not out yet but really debating if I should just upgrade to 9900. Size and battery are important to me and because I have small hands, a bigger keyboard is not a must have.

OH - and if anyone out there is willing to send me an invite to socialscope, it would be much appreciated. (Again, trying to save on space by using one social tool instead of several)

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

I'm in the same situation, except I don't really have any issues with my 9700.

Don't think I could cope with the awfull battery life on the 9900 and camera and bricking issues. Lovely looking phone though and the keyboard is great.

9790 is probably the best choice but I'm still not sure what the battery life is like. Most posters say its better but by how much I'm not certain. The other thing that concerns me is the fact that the 9790 has no charging dock contacts. The dock has a USB plug mounted in the bottom and the phone pushes down onto it. How long is the USB socket in the phone going to last?

Never mind, there's still 6 months to make up my mind.

Alan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Upgraded to a 9900 and don't regret it at all. Battery life isn't bad, just don't expect it to be as good as the 9700 you're coming from but last 12 hrs pretty easily when setup right.

Performance gains are huge and the browser is awesome on the 9900.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts

I am due for an upgrade in February. I thought about the 9900, but there are a couple of issues:

1. The non AF camera. Yes, this is a big deal to me. If I'm expected to pay $300 and 2 years of my time, I will not accept a downgraded camera.

2. The bricking issue. I seriously don't know if this issue has been resolved or not. If it has, I'm sure someone will post.

In addition to the above, BB10 is coming out (allegedly) late this year. So for now, I'm taking a wait and see. My 9700 is getting slow and draggy at times, but I can just nurse it along until I find a phone that will do what I want with the features that I want.
    We have clearance, Clarence.
    Roger, Roger.
    What's our vector, Victor?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

As much as I love my Torch 9800, it was replaced with a brand new Bold 9900 yesterday.

So far, I'm happy with it.
    Smaller screen, small icons ... but what a keyboard!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I've heard about the bricking issue with the 9900 too. Not sure if there is a fix yet. The non AF is not a big deal for me. I've been hearing more and more folks say that they like the 9790 better mostly due to the pocketability and better battery life. The overall specs are similar enough.

I didn't know about the 9790 not having charging dock contacts. I love my 9700 charging pod...it's so easy to just drop it in every night!

I don't know, maybe I'll wait -- the 9790 may never reach AT&T, who knows. NOt sure I can wait for BB10 though....

No socialscope users out there?
    CrackBerry User

Wow thanks for the info on these BB's I'm also planning an upgrade from my 9700 too, I recently upgrade the OS to 706 and had to D-grade to 668. I like the 9900 but wasn't aware of these Issues with Battery life and Bricking. I'll just go with a Torch 9800 and maybe by that time they'll fix those bugs on the 9900.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

i upgraded from 9780 to 9900 and I have to say that the battery life IS a problem,I have 3g off and no twitter of facebook synced and cant get a full day.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,746 Global Posts
    PIN
    pine

Go back to OS5 and keep the 9700. At least until the bricking issue is solved. Especially if you travel and count on a working phone. Or upgrade and keep the 9700 always with you as a back up.
    Last edited by BlazorBoy; 01-17-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Maestra likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Based on what you wrote up there, I'd say the perfect device for you is Bold 9780. Its battery is superb and browsing is better than Bold 9700, plus it's the exact same size to what you have right now.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by fusioncal View Post
    Based on what you wrote up there, I'd say the perfect device for you is Bold 9780. Its battery is superb and browsing is better than Bold 9700, plus it's the exact same size to what you have right now.

The point being, why should you have to upgrade to an obsolete phone just cause RIM can't get their act together with the new devices.

CrackBerry User

I also was thinking about getting a 9900... But after reading about the Battery life I think I'll just stay with my 9700 for a while... :-)
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousfen View Post
    The point being, why should you have to upgrade to an obsolete phone just cause RIM can't get their act together with the new devices.

Which of the BB are u referring to as Obsolete the Bold 9900 or Bold 9780? (Just for clarification)
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz7 View Post
    Which of the BB are u referring to as Obsolete the Bold 9900 or Bold 9780? (Just for clarification)
    I was refering to the 9780 which is no longer in production. I wouldn't be refering to the 9900 would I!

CrackBerry User

I was refering to the 9780 which is no longer in production. I wouldn't be refering to the 9900 would I!

Lol ok thanks for the info. So I'll take the 9780 out of my mind then.
    WAJ1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken-Monkey View Post
    I also was thinking about getting a 9900... But after reading about the Battery life I think I'll just stay with my 9700 for a while... :-)
    First day with my new 9900:
    Almost no usage and at 9 PM I was with 10% battery left.

Second day after stopping Facebook and Twitter hourly updates:
    Twice or more usage compared to day one and at midnight I was with 45% left. I've stopped the WiFi when there was no connection mearby also.

Both days bluetooth was ON. Blackberry bridge was connected all of the time.

So, I guess it is all about application settings and the OS itself.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would upgrade to another non-touch screen BB with keyboard (i.e. Curve 9360).

The small touch screen in the 9900/9790 is redundant.

What's more sexier than a slimmer 9700?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Thanks for everyone's input. And just to clarify - I was not referring to the 9780, rather the 9790, which is brand-spanking new and so new it has not hit the US carriers yet.

Definitely not looking to go to 9780, which is the one that is older and out of date (er, yet still newer than the 9700 I have)

I'll wait around for the 9790 and if it takes too long, I'll just obsess again, complain a little and hope RIM doesn't go under before I decide.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I already have the 9900. I love it.
    CrackBerry Addict

I was addressing to the needs of thread starter instead of whatever current models are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by chautime View Post
    Size and battery are important to me and because I have small hands, a bigger keyboard is not a must have.
    Last edited by fusioncal; 01-25-2012 at 04:45 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    290FB937

I fancy a 9900.
    CrackBerry User

I've had my 9700 since 2009 december. I pay for this this monthly protection/exchange plan for 3 years which allows me to walk in and trade in for any phone of my choice if I can display any issues. And, I have had some minor issues but I still loved it so much that I didn't wanna let it go. Love the form factor, handling, durability and battery life. Don't wanna switch to iPhone, androids or BB torches.

I am thinking of taking advantage of my exchange plan and go for a new device. I do not care for touch screens and "pocketability" is important. The 9900 is a bit big for my taste even with its superior features (the reason I stayed away from the older curves). Anyone else switch from a 97xx to 99xx and think it's still worth it? I looked at the 9790 the other day and it's as thin as a cracker and I think was a convenience key short - also an issue for me.

Oh, and I've only recently switched to OS6 - worst mistake ever. Thinking of switching back to OS5. Do BBs really get slower over time or was it the OS upgrade?

Comments...suggestions?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,746 Global Posts
    PIN
    pine

I was able to get the 9900 for free and have been using it for a month now. The battery life is an issue especially if you are a heavy user. I bought a spare battery and charger (it is very small and can be easily carried). I try to never let the battery get below 40% nor charge it in the phone overnight. This way I hope to avoid the brick.
    The browser is better but has some issues (changes pages while moving down a page when I do not want it to). Keyboard is great but the 9700 was very good as well. Have not tested the camera too much but I did love the one on the 9700. Bottom line: I would not pay or give up , upgrade ticket for it as better things might be around the corner. If you do get one and travel keep the 9700 with you in case of bricking. Also on TMo there is no WiFi calling yet, a real issue for me, especially when abroad.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    290FB937

what is the brick?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    PIN
    290FB937

I'm happy enough with my 9700, but will give the 9900 a go when due. I tend to do as many power saving things anyway, like wifi off when not in use, i drop down to 2G sometimes when I dont need to use the web or services like that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast