CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default accidentally imported contacts when connected to PC

Quite a while ago when I connected my BB to my computer it somehow imported all my hotmail contacts to my blackberry contacts... and for the overlapsed ones it auto merged them, this resulted a lot of inconvenience as I did not want most of the contacts on my BB or being merged, also most of them did not have phone #s associated with them. Is there a way to undo this?

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Do you have a backup from before the messy event?
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    Do you have a backup from before the messy event?
    unfortunately I have never backed up before. The problem is I don't even know how I even made the mess, I just remember I connected my BB to my PC and it just happened so quick, I don't even remember at which step I should've been more careful to avoid such mess again

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

This all reminds me of someone near and dear to my heart, who goes clicktastic, then wonders WTF they've just done.

There's ways to remove duplicates, but it doesn't sound like that will resolve the majority of your problem. You're going to have to go one by one, unless you originally used google sync or such, and haven't synced since.

Z/Q Warrior ..` `..` `..` `.. `.. Born to  ..` `..` `..` `..` `.. Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

This all reminds me of someone near and dear to my heart, who goes clicktastic, then wonders WTF they've just done.

There's ways to remove duplicates, but it doesn't sound like that will resolve the majority of your problem. You're going to have to go one by one, unless you originally used google sync or such, and haven't synced since.
    Ya now I recall the word "sync" lol, I must've sync'ed with my PC(most likely msn as all my msn contacts came to my phone) and that's how it happened. What does google sync do? Why if I synced with google then haven't synced since it would help me?

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

Let's start over. How did you get your contact list onto the phone in the first place?

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Let's start over. How did you get your contact list onto the phone in the first place?
    If I recall correctly it was through sync-ing with my msn contacts. It was more like importing the contacts from msn to my phone, and it wouldn't make sense to go the other way around (exporting from phone to msn).

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

If you look at your MSN contacts online, are they still correct there?

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

If you look at your MSN contacts online, are they still correct there?
    yes, my msn contacts did not change at all

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

Well there ya go! Connect to Desktop again, and oneway sync from the PC to the . You can clear the addressbook database first, but make sure you only clear the addressbook.

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Well there ya go! Connect to Desktop again, and oneway sync from the PC to the . You can clear the addressbook database first, but make sure you only clear the addressbook.
    I think you misunderstood my intention. I had few hundreds of names and emails on my blackberry originally. MSN added another few hundreds, most of these do not have phone #s etc. and I wish to delete - not to keep- these(msn) contacts off my phone, at the same time retain my blackberry phonebook's original contacts, such that my blackberry's phonebook will look exactly like before I had sync'ed. How do I access the addressbook database? I don't even know what that is.

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

Yeah, I'm still totally lost

Where is a good copy of your contact list?

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Yeah, I'm still totally lost

Where is a good copy of your contact list?
    Like I said many times before, I never had a copy of it. I don't think I made the explanation difficult at all.
    first. My original contact list on my blackberry, like any phonebook contacts, were added one by one by hand input, let me call this list "A" with 500 names each associated with a phone #, and maybe a few of them had email address associated with them. Say 50 of them had email addresses.

Now, I don't know if you know what msn messenger is but let me explain it is simply an IM program and each contact is simply an email address. let me call this list "B". say this has 300 email addresses.

Now after the sync, my phonebook on my blackberry has A+B-merged contacts, because for the email addresses on list A matches with B, blackberry phonebook merged them. so the list is A+B - merged contacts. which is 500+300-50 = 750 contacts.

Now I simply want my blackberry phonebook to go back to A, 500 original contacts. NOTHING ELSE is ever changed. I honestly do not understand where does the addressbook jump in place, on PC i have never used it, and on blackberry it's just my phonebook.

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

Ok, since you manually entered them the first time, you need to either delete the contact list and start over, or delete the ones that have been added.

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Ok, since you manually entered them the first time, you need to either delete the contact list and start over, or delete the ones that have been added.
    sigh, as I thought there's no undo option. Now gotta spend another half hour of manual labor undo-ing it, thanks for your help though!

Global Posts
    35,121 Global Posts
    PIN

There is an undo, but it requires you to have done a backup first. Make sure when you get it fixed you do one regularly on the PC, and install BB Protect.