CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9700 USB charge port replacement?

So, the inevitable has happened and my Bold won't charge through the usb port anymore. Warranty expired a month ago and it appears neither blackberry or my carrier will honour it, so I'd like to attempt to fix it on my own. I'm planning on ordering it from an online retailer (suggestions?) Thing is though, I don't know how to replace the port. Do I have to desolder? Has anyone ever done this before? Any help/feedback will be appreciated.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    4 x 5532349

Don't bother. It's too much of a PITA. Get a charging pod & sync using bluetooth. If you need a cheap charging pod, check Amazon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    4 x 5532349

Oh, and you're stuck with the OS you're currently running for the life of the phone. Nobody I know has ever successfully resoldered a charging port on their own. That's actually the reason I ditched the 8100 for the 8120, before I knew charging pods existed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

that a bad thing to happen..now charging pod has becomes a necessity..now i need to find one for myself..

how did it get damaged?..wear and tear?..
    CrackBerry Newbie

Question for you?? Did you install the leaked version of OS6? I had done so and noticed that I could no longer charge from my outlet charger, nor from car adapter. Only thing that worked was surprisingly the USB into my PC, which happened to be very slow. I had not seen this specific complaint, but because of this charging issue, I have gone back to OS5. Check it out if this is what you have done as well.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by riverjacked View Post
    So, the inevitable has happened and my Bold won't charge through the usb port anymore. Warranty expired a month ago and it appears neither blackberry or my carrier will honour it, so I'd like to attempt to fix it on my own. I'm planning on ordering it from an online retailer (suggestions?) Thing is though, I don't know how to replace the port. Do I have to desolder? Has anyone ever done this before? Any help/feedback will be appreciated.
    Im in the same boat. got a charger and 2 batterys off ebay real cheap. $5.00 for the charger and 1 battery . only issue its coming from hong kong soooo it will be like 3 weeks till i get it.