CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9700 or torch???

i love my 9700 (i have os6.0), but sometimes on web browsing i wished i had a bigger display.
    The torch could be the solution, but i had the storm and hated it because i could never adapted writing with a virtual keyboard.
    i read also that many people complain about the physical keyboard of thorch.
    can someone give some highlights?

thanks
    curve 8900 bold 9000 storm 9500 storm 9520 bold 9700 Torch 9800 Bold 9000 Bold 9780 Bold 9900
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

It's nice to have the screen size of the 9800. And obviously you don't have to use the virtual kb if you don't want to. But I will say the 9800's keyboard is completely inferior to that of the 9700. There isn't much the 9800 offers that the 9700 doesn't. Screen size is mainly it. The 9800 is alright for a while, but unless you're a true touch screen lover, you'll want your 9700 before too long. IMHO.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I have had them both..and I am a Torch fan now.. it took me about 2 weeks to get comfortable .. but now when I look/touch my 9700 the screen/device feels far inferior.........
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

but being used to write a lot and fast on the 9700 everyday , would i have the same response from 9800 physical keyboard??
    curve 8900 bold 9000 storm 9500 storm 9520 bold 9700 Torch 9800 Bold 9000 Bold 9780 Bold 9900
  5. Matrix Leader

I had the Torch for 7 days then I returned it and got a full refund.

Back to the trusty 9700.

The Torch has a big nice display, nothing beats it. The thing is:

1) I hated the virtual keyboard, so I thought it's ok I have a physical keyboard, I used it for a week, it's not that bad, don't get me wrong, but upon holding a 9700 keyboard of a friend, man it is so much better. The Torch keyboard is just flat out since it has to slide in the phone so they couldn't make the keys as buldged out as the 9700 or 9780 for that matter.

The main thing I buy a BB for is typing and messaging on BBM, so that defeated the whole purpose.

2) The battery life on the Torch although is improved with the newer OS, it is no where as good as the 9700 which has more capacity specs wise, and lasts longer due to a small screen which is crisp clear to look at by the way.

That said, the 9800 is a nice device but not for my needs.

So these are the honest points highlited and the choice is yours.

PS: When I got my 9700 OS 6 threw a new life to it! It's awesome!

It has a few glitches like the cursor disappearing in a BBM Message so you wouldn't know what you're highlighting unless you hold the shift button and scroll up and down, but I could live with that until they release an official OS 6

I did downgrade to OS 5 today but it was too plain, and I had an issue with BrickbBreaker controls not working properly so I am back on OS 6, it is much better than OS 5 even though it's only a leak.
    Banned

Put simply, the Torch is junk.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

ok thanks...i think i will keep my 9700 with os6.0 for now....
    the perfect solution for me was the 9700 inside the 9000 body!!!!!
    i hope someday RIM will do it!!!!
  8. Matrix Leader

Quote Originally Posted by 67Tucker View Post
    For the price, and compared to the 9700 and the 9780, you are 100% correct
  9. Matrix Leader

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lambrosio View Post
    ok thanks...i think i will keep my 9700 with os6.0 for now....
    the perfect solution for me was the 9700 inside the 9000 body!!!!!
    i hope someday RIM will do it!!!!
    Good choice.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

I tried out the torch, but sliders aren't my thing, nor are touch screens I'll stay with my 9700, if that dies, it'll be a temporary curve 3G, or used curve 8900, then back to the 9700, or 9780, whichever is offered cheapest by wind mobile in 2 years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Retired Mod

PIN
    PIN:ky Tuscadero

Quote Originally Posted by 67Tucker View Post
    Put simpler, you are an abject moron and one of the biggest trolls on this site.

Why am I not surprised by who thanked this post
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lambrosio View Post
    but being used to write a lot and fast on the 9700 everyday , would i have the same response from 9800 physical keyboard??
    I've used the 9800 for over 6 months now and still can't type as fast on it as my 9700. But that's me. You may find that you like the 9800 more than the 9700. It comes down to personal preference. I will say that the 9800 isn't junk. It's a good device in it's own right and while it may be the right device for some people, it may not be for others. Doesn't mean it's junk. Anyhow, go into your local store and give the 9800 a spin. Worse case scenario you can still return in within the first 30 days.
    Thanked by:
    amazinglygraceless (11-25-2010) 
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    eh?

I've never even thought about getting a torch because of the slider (quite simply, never liked them). The screen on the 9700 can be a bit small at times, especially when reading forums like this but at the end of the day it is a mobile phone, if we wanted to browse forums all day we'd dump the Blackberry and get back to our pc's.

There's my two pennies worth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com