Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9700 on Tmobile

I recently upgraded my 8900 to a 9700 and Im pretty disappointed in the performance of of the 3G. Im in Houston and the phone will drop from 3G to 2G alot of times and lately even the data is very flakey on 3G to the point for reliable service Ive set my phone to 2G and left it like that. I had a 3G phone on tmobile before and I dont remember having problems like this, and other people have suggested its an issue with the 9700 which Im hoping because a software update should fix it. What Im wanting to know is if people have had similar issues. Id appreciate input.

thanks
    CrackBerry User

Im in LA on my 9700 Tmo and 3G works fine with my .330 OS. I would suggest possibly upgrading to .442 as I have heard nothing but good things about that version of the OS. I would try it myself, but alas I am a Mac guy and you can only really play with these things using windows. Let me know if you take the leap...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    PIN
    2159AF3D

I have a 9700 on T-Mobile, I was running .330 and was experiencing the same problems. I upgraded to .442 and it has been nothing but smooth sailing for me since. I would suggest doing this for yourself as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

cincinnati ohio here

running .442

HSPA works PERFECTLY....

5. GJW
    CrackBerry Addict

I also had problems when running the .330 release, and especially poor download speeds on 3G. I upgraded to .442 about a week ago and it's been beautiful! Not a single complaint, fault, reboot, dropped call, etc.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Ive been on .442 since I got it. I updated it and have had the issue from the beginning. Im really on the fence, the biggest seller is the 3G and if that doesn't work properly then who knows. Im hoping its something that can be fixed by an OS update but who knows. Im not sure what I should do at this point. I already sold my 8900 so I guess Id have to get a completely different phone or goto a 8520. Anyone have any suggestions? I have about 2 weeks remaining before my 30 day return policy is up.

The truth is if Boost had the Tour instead of the 8330 I would probably just jump to them and be done with it.
    Last edited by money69; 02-10-2010 at 07:04 PM.

PIN
    ky Tuscadero

I am in Minneapolis running .330 and have had no problems at all with 3G...very fast.....

Global Posts
    9,512 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

i have no such issues my 3g stays on all the time
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10

PIN
    ( ͡_͡)

I haven't had any problems with 3g in Denver with all the OS's I've tried. I'm just wondering if I had the same .442 everyone else loaded, it was a laggy battery eating piece of junk on my device, . .415 however has been great.

CrackBerry Master

So far while I was traveling this year in the US, i.e.. Pittsburgh, Chicago, New York, So Cal, Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, I had no issue with 3G on TMO.

I have to admit that I had to reboot my device a few times during one of these trips (perhaps in PIT and Vegas) then my 3G was all good again.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2240F8C6

While I was in san antonio, tx I was experiencing the same problem you had at my moms appartment. It was at 3g at the airport then it went all crazy later on.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by sabooher View Post
    I had the same exact problem with my former tmo branded 9700. Tried out another unit in the store and it had the same problem. All of the problems existed ONLY when the phone was on 3G.

My other problem was that when the phone was connected to 3G anything push related (Email, PIN, BBM) would not arrive to the handheld unless I forced a connection with the web browser first.

It would then drop 3G and switch to GPRS every single time I would make or receive a phone call....sucks! The phone worked great on 2G only and I actually had better performance. I finally returned that particular phone. I'm also probably going to switch carriers this year when my contract runs out. Tmobile's 3G (at least on the 9700) is not ready for prime-time IMO.
    I have the same drop call problem VERY often on my T-MO 9700. It drops the 3G, switches to Edge or GPRS, and then very often drops the call. I am in Corpus Christi, TX. I have tried the different OS's (running .442) and still have issues. It is very frustrating as BlackBerry is supposed to be quality hardware and T-MO has GREAT service in this area. I didn't have this problem with my old curve either. I just wanted a 3G BB.

J
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by mikey3450 View Post
    I have a 9700 on T-Mobile, I was running .330 and was experiencing the same problems. I upgraded to .442 and it has been nothing but smooth sailing for me since. I would suggest doing this for yourself as well.

+1

The software upgrade made a HUGE difference. SO much smoother...
    Banned

PIN
    Terminated Member

Quote Originally Posted by IAMDEEMO View Post
    +1

The software upgrade made a HUGE difference. SO much smoother...
    LOL. I upgraded from .330 to .442 based on comments like this. I see no difference whatsoever. I wasn't having any problems with .330 per se, but I decided I wanted my 9700 to have the latest and greatest. I'm not complaining about .442 but I fail to see any differences worth reporting. And "HUGE?" I'd need to hear more about that with specifics about exactly what is sooooo much better.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by berryite View Post
    LOL. I upgraded from .330 to .442 based on comments like this. I see no difference whatsoever. I wasn't having any problems with .330 per se, but I decided I wanted my 9700 to have the latest and greatest. I'm not complaining about .442 but I fail to see any differences worth reporting. And "HUGE?" I'd need to hear more about that with specifics about exactly what is sooooo much better.
    THe .442 made a huge difference. The .330 had lagging problems and the device was not smooth at all. Battery drainage like a mutha, U get problems with SMS screen (it doesnt let u leave it to text others), Browser was a lot slower, etc.

Since I upgraded the .442, nothing but good things happened. Im not a least worried about it either. I'm a hardcore berry user too. I play with it all the time and the battery life is waaaay better. With the old OS i had to carry a second battery in my pocket all the time like a battle field electronic nerd.

I live in LA area and the 3G on the 9700 is fine..
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

My 9700 works great with 3G in Katy/West Houston. I've also had 442 since the beginning.

Try another unit before giving up on the model. It's a great phone!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Just Ask....

My 9700 was acting terrible on .330. Lags, Reboots, Call Drops. Battery pulls would calm it down for a while, but then the 3G connection issues would slowly start happening. So I went to .442 and whala stable as all heck, not even one reboot as of yet, and the 3G connectivity is more robust, and fast...

Yea for RIM & other Carriers releasing updates!
    Boo for T-Mobile for taking so long!
    *** T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 OS: 5.0.0.100 ***
    *** T-Mobile Blackberry 9700 OS: 5.0.0.442 ***