Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 3G During Calls

So every time I get a call, I lose 3G. When I end the call it says GPRS then picks up EDGE then 3G again. Happened with .545 and now with the new leak that popped a few days ago.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

You are in a poor 3G coverage area and it is irat'ing down to preserve call quality. Signal strength can vary with the OS since they change radio loads but what you are reporting is not widescale in 545 and 586. What carrier and where?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Same problem. I'm on T-Mobile USA. Tried switching the SIM card and device yesterday. Same problem with new SIM card and new device. Has nothing to do with 3G signal strength. I can start a call in one location with 5 bars of constant 3G, stay in that same location, and the swithch to GPRS happens during the phone call (both outgoing and incoming phone calls). It happens in multiple parts of Atlanta, no not an issue with a single cell tower. The call starts with strong 3G, switches to GPRS, and then when the call ends, it immediatly goes back to EDGE for a second or two then back to 3G. Tried trobule shooting several times, including making adjustments to the cell network settings. No luck.

Curious if this is happening on the Bold 9700 on other GSM carriers? It could be an intentional "network management" issue with T-Mobile. Their logic could go something like this: If a device in engaged in a phone call (no data), then why waste 3G band? Drop the caller down to GPRS. This sounds like a great thing for T-Mobile, but it's not possible for the customer to start a browser session while the call is on GPRS (isn't that suppose to be a big advantage of 3G on a GSM carrier, voice and data at the same time ?).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I am in central america, Panama. And exactly, what's the point of 3G if I can't use it during a call.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,142 Global Posts

Yes this is a common problem with HSPA @ T-Mobile.... there are dozens of threads on this already.

CrackBerry User

So, is it just T-Mobile USA? Does the Bold 9700 work correctly on AT&T? Do you know how long this has been happening on T-Mobile? Any knowledge about their plans (if any) to fix it?
    CrackBerry User

I've had the same issues since my first 9700 (I'm on my 2nd one). I talked to a CSR yesterday and they want me to switch out my SIM card, though I don't think that will do anything. But they said it's free to do so I'll be going into a T-Mobile store later today and swap it out. My current SIM is only about 1.5 years old (been with T-Mo for over 6 years).
    Other than that, they have no knowledge of this issue, but they assured me they would send my report to a technical team in my area. I'm not sure how much I believe that, but what can I do, right?
    And I'm curious is the AT&T version has had these same issues. Anyone want to chime in on that?

BTW, I'm in the SoCalifornia area (Orange County), and according to T-Mo I have complete 3G coverage.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

It is NOT a T-Mobile thing, I'm not even in the US. :S
    CrackBerry User

I'm on ATT and I've noticed that at my home but haven't seen it happen at my office (about 35 mi away). I just assumed it was either a weaker 3G signal or somekind of network bandwidth saver. I'll be curious what is discovered for this issue as it doesn't seem to be carrier specific. My wife's iphone holds a strong 3G signal throughout her calls so I'm not as inclined to believe its signal strength related either.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    795F86BF

I've noticed that I'm having the same problem since "upgrading" to the official .545. I'm on T-Mobile and in the heart of NYC often. I used to maintain a strong 3G signal everywhere, and now I'm on GPRS more often than not.

Looks like I'll be in need of a leak that fixes this, or I'll be downgrading back to .442
    CrackBerry Master

I have played around since last Friday using other 3G capable phone on the same SIM I have been using on my 9700.

I incline to say that it is a combination of the two. I can't say what contribute more than the other though.

Anyhow, using my other 3G capable phone, I found that it holds 3G signal much stronger even where the coverage is poor. It never drops to GPRS, but occasionally, I get a drop call!!!

On the other hand, using 9700 my call will not drop, but it switches from 3G to GPRS around that very same weak coverage spot.

When I use my 9700 around strong coverage area even while I am driving at highway speed, there is no issue on 3G switches to GPRS.

I am running .545 firmware.
    CrackBerry User

I elevated this issue to high levels at T-Mobile. T-Mobile is aware of this problem on the Bold 9700. Supposedly, it's a compatability problem between the 9700 and GSM networks. There is a software fix scheduled to be released on April 5 by RIM. I was told the April 5 date is a tentative date, so could be a few days after. Let's hope it fixes the problem. In addition to not being able to start a browser session during a call on GPRS, I've noticed that the call quality goes down (more hissing background noise) when switched to GPRS.

Update: It's April 9, and still no update from RIM or T-Mobile.
    Last edited by bbuseratl; 04-09-2010 at 06:24 AM.
  13. PDM
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbuseratl View Post
    I elevated this issue to high levels at T-Mobile. T-Mobile is aware of this problem on the Bold 9700. Supposedly, it's a compatability problem between the 9700 and GSM networks. There is a software fix scheduled to be released on April 5 by RIM. I was told the April 5 date is a tentative date, so could be a few days after. Let's hope it fixes the problem.
    This is not a purely T-Mobile issue! Will the other GSM carriers also be releasing a "patch"? Or are you aware of which sw version it maybe addressed in?

Quote Originally Posted by bbuseratl
    In addition to not being able to start a browser session during a call on GPRS, I've noticed that the call quality goes down (more hissing background noise) when switched to GPRS.
    You will never be able to open a browser session whilst using GPRS (unless you mean Hotspot Browser - which does work).

Edit :
    I did rarely see this with .442 or .545 (can't remember now). BUT, haven't see it with .593 to-date i.e. its holding 3G on a call.
    Last edited by PDM; 04-04-2010 at 08:20 AM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    21B07820

Ive noticed it happens to me at home, havent noticed anywhere else tho. Im in the UK on orange
    CrackBerry Abuser

Have seen this a lot when I'm at my Apt. NYC Queens here and I called CS they told me to do a SIM swap in which I did and really didn't see nothing change, this issue better leave soon because there is no point for 3G if I can't browse or receive messages when I'm on the phone.
    8320 > 8220 > 8900 > 9700 > 9780 > 9900
    CrackBerry Abuser

Same issue here on T-mobile.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Same issue on Vodafone uk on a storm 2. Funny thing is I seem to be able to do both calls and browsing/email at the same time on GPRS. Vodafone uk doesn't have edge, at least not in northern Ireland. Sometimes it even drops to gsm and after I hang up it goes back to gprs then strong 3G signal.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by bbuseratl View Post
    I elevated this issue to high levels at T-Mobile. T-Mobile is aware of this problem on the Bold 9700. Supposedly, it's a compatability problem between the 9700 and GSM networks. There is a software fix scheduled to be released on April 5 by RIM. I was told the April 5 date is a tentative date, so could be a few days after. Let's hope it fixes the problem. In addition to not being able to start a browser session during a call on GPRS, I've noticed that the call quality goes down (more hissing background noise) when switched to GPRS.
    Just out of curiosity, was this information given directly to you by T-Mobile customer care? The reason I ask is because I was on the phone with 3 different reps in the past hour or so and they have no clue what I'm talking about when I mentioned this. I told them about this issue and they just tell me they have no idea how to fix it. I'm going to try to call them one more time and see if I can get anything else.

Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts

There is no fix for the 9700 3G issue. The person that posted that there would be a fix from RIM for T-Mobile lied.
    (AT&T)Nokia 5110(2001)-->(Cingular)Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700(2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010)--> (Sprint) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2011)--> (AT&T) HTC Inspire 4G (2011)(AT&T)HTC Vivid (2012)-->(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S III White
    ~K Bear~
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    There is no fix for the 9700 3G issue. The person that posted that there would be a fix from RIM for T-Mobile lied.
    I had a good feeling this was the case
    This bums me out because the phone is great phone, but not being able to hang on to a 3G signal is absurd. I can have -70dbm of 3G signal and then POOF, GPRS -90-something, and it will never go back to 3G until the call is done. Very lame!
    CrackBerry User

Just an update - I made one last final call to T-Mobile customer service last night and thoroughly explained this situation to them. Of course they had me to a few things (batt and sim pull, network settings, etc.) but to no avail. They also told me that this situation is just how it is and there is nothing that can be done to correct it. I'm not totally convinced about this, but whatever I suppose.

Also, I found it quite funny that they kept thinking I was trying to access data (ie. internet, bbm, etc.) while I was on a call. This is true sometimes, but not very often. They insisted that accessing data while on a call is not possible and they were dumbfounded and speechless when I told them it is very possible to do so if the signal has not dropped to GPRS (or EDGE). They really need to read up on what 3G can do and is all about.

Anyways, if anyone else has better luck than I did, please post your experiences. Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Customer Care is a hit or miss at T-Mobile. Recently hired reps are not well trained, and some barely spea English.

If you call the main switch board at T-Mobile's USA's headquarters in Bellview, Washington (Seattle) and tell the operator that you have an unresolved problem, she will transfer you to Executive Customer Relations (office of the President). You will then be dealing with a U.S. based T-Mobile employee who can provide more assistance than a typical "customer service rep."
    CrackBerry User

I experienced the same problem at my office.. i would start the call on 3g, then drops to edge, and finally to gprs. it doesn't seem to happen anywhere else besides my office, so i figured it was a weak tower in the area.. I'm on att w/ 9700
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    822 Global Posts

i have 3g all the time except for when im in a tunnel or something. No issues over here.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Same issue reporting in. Full 3G coverage when the phone rings, switches once I've answered the call. Been dealing with some hellasious phone quality lately.
    Can't decide if I should upgrade to the 9780 or wait for the Torch on TMO
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast