Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    don't ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default why i think tour 2is not worth the upgrade

So the more well known features of the tour 2 are the wifi and the trackpad (in addition to an increased onboard memory size). However, though these added features may seem like a notch above the original tour, I find that its not really worth the upgrade and here are my reasons:

1) Wifi: what's the point of wifi on an unlimited data plan enabled device? I was just meSing around on my friend's storm2 connected on wifi and tried a "speed test" by opening a fairly large website and see which phone loads faster. Surprisingly, mine loaded everything first while his finished about 3-4 seconds later. I tried another website to make sure it wasn't situational and gave him a 1 second head start and still mine finished first. (My current speed is 4015 kbps / 4 mbps).

2) Trackpad: yes its nice, but I have never had a problem with my tour's trackball. This is still my first tour and I bought it around late june early july. This phone's never let me down

3) +onboard memory: yes 2 gig is nice, but I mean you can just buy a mini sd card :/

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't tour2 use the same processor as tour?

Anyways, my 2 cents.. I just love my tour and these are my reasons why I think $175 upgrade isn't worth it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I agree. I have the curve 2 with Wifi and I really dont have a noticable different in speeds when Im hooked to wifi and my house or when im not on wifi. I def love the trackpad alot but. The tour 2 isnt some amazing upgrade I agree. People are freaking out over it. And although I think it will be a great phone. I dont think its something thats going to change your life at all. especially if you have the tour.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts

I believe you use less battery power when connected via Wifi vs. 3g/network
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts

I doubt you got your tour in June as it wasn't released until mid July. The Tour 2 is definitely worth the upgrade if it really does come with a faster processor. But that is all speculation at this point.
    Treat my First like my Last and my Last like my First....

Follow me on twitter @willyboy6
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    982 Global Posts

It's not about 3G speed vs Wifi speed. Some areas just don't have strong 3G signal, if any. So you could use Wifi to access data! Very useful.
    The Red Informant - thoughts from an independent geek
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts
    PIN
    Plz request via PM

Thumbs up Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by redwanhuq View Post
    It's not about 3G speed vs Wifi speed. Some areas just don't have strong 3G signal, if any. So you could use Wifi to access data! Very useful.
    Well said...
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

to me WIFI and a trackpad are not worth the upgrade. If my contract is over I would update, but no way would I fork up retial to buy Tour 2 for only WIFI and a trackpad.
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!
    CrackBerry Abuser

i might just sell my tour and upgrade to the tour 2, shouldn't be much of a loss money wise...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    780 Global Posts

Not worth the upgrade to me either. I can get a new phone with all discounts in July and I am hoping to get something with significant improvements. If nothing worth while is available, I'll wait a while as my Tour works great.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,780 Global Posts

Some people have a serious lack of vision when it comes to wifi. I have an iPod Touch and the apps that have been developed for wifi are incredible. I can use my iPod Touch as a mouse for my laptop (or any other wirelessly networked computer). There are many new tv's being developed that will connect to your home network with wifi or usb. Connect these tv's to your router and your BB could be a remote. My printer is wifi connected and I could (theoretically) print directly from my BB.

And as already stated, some people (ME) have terrible coverage here in the house. WIFI would be a a welcome option and I will certainly be upgrading to the Tour 2.
    Last edited by cenloe; 01-18-2010 at 02:32 PM.
    Distributor of pain.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

I just think the Wifi and the trackpad are Very nice.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Being that I have 3 laptops at my house, there really is no reason to sit around my house using my blackberry to surf the net, so I won't be upgrading just on wifi alone.
    Trackpad? Well, that could be cool, but once I got a phone with a good trackball, I don't need something else. Maybe later later, but not now.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by cenloe View Post
    Some people have a serious lack of vision when it comes to wifi. I have an iPod Touch and the apps that have been developed for wifi are incredible. I can use my iPod Touch as a mouse for my laptop (or any other wirelessly networked computer). There are many new tv's being developed that will connect to your home network with wifi or usb. Connect these tv's to your router and your BB could be a remote. My printer is wifi connected and I could (theoretically) print directly from my BB.
    I know WiFi has its uses but what is the advantage of using your cell phone as a mouse or remote? I don't get it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,780 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schnable View Post
    I know WiFi has its uses but what is the advantage of using your cell phone as a mouse or remote? I don't get it.
    Well, everyone is different and some of us appreciate the convenience of having an all in one product as opposed to having to use a different device for every other need in life. If you dont already understand then it cant really be explained to you.

And Im not trying to be condescending.
    Distributor of pain.
  15. GG1
    CrackBerry Genius

Wifi is also usefull for those on limited data plans.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    PIN
    No longer a blackberry user

Quote Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
    Wifi is also usefull for those on limited data plans.
    Very true. Some people need the wifi, some don't. But, for $200 or whatever the upgrade price is, you could probably pay the extra $$ for an unlimited data plan for a long time.
    PS3 60 GB | PSN con247| iPad 32GB | iPod Touch 32GB
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    don't ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by cenloe View Post
    Some people have a serious lack of vision when it comes to wifi. I have an iPod Touch and the apps that have been developed for wifi are incredible. I can use my iPod Touch as a mouse for my laptop or Connect these tv's to your router and your BB could be a remote. My printer is wifi connected and I could (theoretically) print directly from my BB.
    Last I checked, desktops and laptops come with a mouse.. And tv's come with remotes.. Even universal remotes.. Which is about 150$ cheaper than a bb tour2 lolol

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

I dont think I will be using WiFi very often (if ever), but I am ready to move on from the trackball to the trackpad for SURE. I am also keeping my fingers crossed for the snappier processor.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

If you do a search you will see that the wifi argument has been beaten to death. There are numerous reasons why people would need wifi in a phone. The question is why do you think there is not a need for something just because YOU do not need it? There may be reasons not to upgrade to a Tour 2 but wifi for a lot or people is actually a big PLUS.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine View Post
    2) Trackpad: yes its nice, but I have never had a problem with my tour's trackball. This is still my first tour and I bought it around late june early july. This phone's never let me down
    alot of people have had trackball problems...i did...mine didn't work good at all...i took my phone apart and put in a curve trackball and it fixed the problem but alot of people are scared to take their phone apart and would rather pay for something newer/better then mess up what they already have

Quote Originally Posted by acetylcholine View Post
    3) +onboard memory: yes 2 gig is nice, but I mean you can just buy a mini sd card :/
    but right now the biggest sd card for it is the 16gb...i have the 16gb card in my phone and it is full...movies/pictures/music...so 2gb extra is a plus for me

and i've never messed with wifi on another phone except the iphone so i can't add my thoughts on that
    Evo 4g- t0ast3d de1ight FroYo 2.2 Sense | Aria - Rooted w/ Clockwork - CM6 2.2 | myTouch - working on 2.2 | Hero - 1.5

Flickr for all pix taken by my phones:
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    994 Global Posts

Its inevitable to eventually have trackball problems. Oil and funk from your hand must find its way into the works at sometime. On my original Tour I thought I had beat the odds because my trackball was fine, but after a few months it went bad. Now the new one they gave me is even better than the original was when it was new. How long will that be? The trackpad solves that problem, to me that is worth the upgrade, not 400 dollars or what ever retail is, but at an upgrade price .
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    PIN
    Me No Longer

Quote Originally Posted by npunk42 View Post
    Its inevitable to eventually have trackball problems. Oil and funk from your hand must find its way into the works at sometime. On my original Tour I thought I had beat the odds because my trackball was fine, but after a few months it went bad. Now the new one they gave me is even better than the original was when it was new. How long will that be? The trackpad solves that problem, to me that is worth the upgrade, not 400 dollars or what ever retail is, but at an upgrade price .
    I just think the Tour was just given a crappy trackball.. My old Pearl is still alive and kicking (passed it to my gal), never had a trackball prob.
    "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems"
    Running OS Version...... Pffft .. who cares..
    "Mmm Turkey London broil sandwich.. turkey can be anything.. it's like my favorite vegetable"
    CrackBerry User

I'm still on my beat up 8330, and my contract is up at the end of the month, so I'll definitely be upgrading.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mike340t View Post
    I just think the Tour was just given a crappy trackball.. My old Pearl is still alive and kicking (passed it to my gal), never had a trackball prob.
    i have to fix a pearl the other day with trackball problems...some people are dirtier than others...lol...this person in particular obviously didn't wash her hands so her trackball was disgusting.
    Evo 4g- t0ast3d de1ight FroYo 2.2 Sense | Aria - Rooted w/ Clockwork - CM6 2.2 | myTouch - working on 2.2 | Hero - 1.5

Flickr for all pix taken by my phones:
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,642 Global Posts

pointless thread. everyone has an opinion. it may be worth it for some to upgrade...others not.

the biggest improvement i am hoping for is general phone build. i have a loose door and have to use electrical tape to keep it from sliding. the problem is that it creats a gap so when i am thumb typing, i fell feel the phone mush. my wife's does not do that... hers is solid.

verizon would not do anything other than give me a new door....and it was worse than the first one.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast