Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What is the name if the sticky glue used to hold pieces in the phone together?

I have a Tour that Verizon replaced with a new phone. It is my 4th Tour in 6 months and when I got it the process of switching to a new phone was already in process.

When the new phone arrived in the mail the rep I was working with told me that I did not need to return the Tour and could do whatever I wanted with it.
    So I called Verizon to make sure the ESN was good and it was so I was going to list it on Ebay. The only problem was the #4 key had paint scratched off (probably because it was refurbished and used by someone else). The phone works fine but didn't want to sell it with that keyboard. I had the keyboard replaced by a local shop but when I got home I noticed the speaker (ringer) doesn't work and the top front face plate (where the ear piece screen is) was loose.

After carefully removing it, I noticed they broke off one of the top brackets that hold it in place. They also didn't replace that clear sticky stuff that helps hold the part on.

I wanted to put that sticky stuff back on the part but I can't for life of me figure out what it's called?? If you've ever gotten a credit card in the mail, it is the stuff that hold the credit card to the paper/letter it comes with.

I have tried to get the repair shop to refund my money but no luck. That's a matter for small claims now.

I would like to know if anyone knows what that sticky stuff is called so I can buy some. The phone is going to a different repair shop to be fixed the right way!
    Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    k is my fave!

uuummmmm.... Double sided tape? Is that what your thinking of?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    It's that flag on the green that I try to hit my golf ball close to.

There is also something like "Hot Glue" that when used doesn't actually dry but remains sticky. I use the hot glue term only because it is thick and bulks up like hot glue can do, not that it is put on hot since that would probably damage the device.
    Bob
    "The old Rambler, confined to Rehab"

Blackberry 101 tutorial on how to load and OS using apploader:
    How To Install or Upgrade your BlackBerry's Operating System
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Well I thought so initially but the Scotch brand double sided tape I have is very thin and can't be molded into any particular shape. This stuff was molded in a tube shape about 1/4 inch long and when I took it out, it rolled up in a ball.

Isn't that funny it's so hard to figure out what it is?? It's almost like a clear putty that doesn't dry out and when you remove it, it comes off very clean. Is there double sided tape that is thick? Maybe I'm using the wrong terms and you are absolutely right.

I'll have to visit the hardware shop or craft store to see if I can find it. I'll know it when I see it.

Thanks

Global Posts
    6,314 Global Posts
    PIN
    G
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    k is my fave!

Quote Originally Posted by eg146 View Post
    Well I thought so initially but the Scotch brand double sided tape I have is very thin and can't be molded into any particular shape. This stuff was molded in a tube shape about 1/4 inch long and when I took it out, it rolled up in a ball.

Isn't that funny it's so hard to figure out what it is?? It's almost like a clear putty that doesn't dry out and when you remove it, it comes off very clean. Is there double sided tape that is thick? Maybe I'm using the wrong terms and you are absolutely right.

I'll have to visit the hardware shop or craft store to see if I can find it. I'll know it when I see it.

Thanks

ooooh I know what "type" of like gel glue your talking about, but idk what its actually called either or where to find it. Perhaps a craft store. When you do find out what's its called, please enlighten us as well, I'm interested in this sticky glue term too!

EDIT: ya know what, just as I posted & view trucky's link, a name of one came to mind. Rubber cement. Maybe that's kinda what your loking for. I rem in school the boys use to take it an make little shaped balls and chuck it at people (were talking over 20+yrs ago here-lol)

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 02-04-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    CrackBerry User

I think the adhesive you are describing is manufactured by 3M, but i do not know the name of the material. It may not be available to retail consumers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

OK this took me all day to figure out but I have the answer.

Someone wrote glue gel and that is very close to what I found out.

Major credit card companies use this stuff called 3M Gummy Glue. It is sold in stick form because it has to be heated at something like 245 degrees to be activated. I don't know if you can use a glue gun like you would for crafts but you have to buy A LOT of the stuff anyway.

So that wasn't an option for me. Luckily I found something else that will do the trick: "Glue Dots" Glue Lines super strength and removable. They are the closest thing to what I needed and for 200 of these 1/2 inch long (very thin like 2mm) strips the total cost, $4.99 at Michael's craft store.

I had checked Radio Shack and Ace Hardware but no one knew what the name of the glue was or even where to buy it.

It worked just fine and it won't damage the phone. The piece I needed to glue is supposed to be removable and the strips went on smoothly and were easy to take off and didn't leave residue.

Thanks for your help and the link. I think I'll stop taking Blackberries apart for awhile-lol.

Global Posts
    10,074 Global Posts
    PIN
    k is my fave!

Major credit card companies use this stuff called 3M Gummy Glue. It is sold in stick form because it has to be heated at something like 245 degrees to be activated. I don't know if you can use a glue gun like you would for crafts but you have to buy A LOT of the stuff anyway.

So that wasn't an option for me. Luckily I found something else that will do the trick: "Glue Dots" Glue Lines super strength and removable. They are the closest thing to what I needed and for 200 of these 1/2 inch long (very thin like 2mm) strips the total cost, $4.99 at Michael's craft store.

I had checked Radio Shack and Ace Hardware but no one knew what the name of the glue was or even where to buy it.

It worked just fine and it won't damage the phone. The piece I needed to glue is supposed to be removable and the strips went on smoothly and were easy to take off and didn't leave residue.

Thanks for your help and the link. I think I'll stop taking Blackberries apart for awhile-lol.

eg, I know what glue dot thing your talking about! I'm glad you've repaired your bb and all is good now. Stick to not taking them apart anymore is a good idea! LOL.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    526 Global Posts
    PIN
    LiveProfile LP4FAHG8

Can you post a picture of the product please.
    Jesus Gave His Life For Me. Why Should I Give Him Anything Less...

The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The child of God says: My cup runneth over ~Anonymous
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

That stuff that stciks credit cards on a piece of paper I mentioned IS a 3M industrial product as someone mentioned.

It requires heat to activate it and from what I found, the glue and the gun are NOT cheap.
    The glue strips work great and can be taken off easily with no mess if you make a mistake.