Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. rendrop's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default vzw bold unlocked out of the box?

    the sprint bold 9650 is unlocked right out of the box from the factory. any chance the verizon bold 9650 will be the same?
  2. Rickbubello's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    not a chance but this is what you can do. Activate your 9650 on verizon (it has to be activated) and call up global support and ask for your unlock code. After 2 mins and answering yes a whole bunch of times they will give you the unlock code for your berry, or any berry that is global on verizon as long as its activated on your account at the time.

    Pop in a gsm sim from another company, enter code twice and voila- your bold is unlocked
    PIN: 30FE0D4A

    "The One and ONLY living Dr. Evil.."
    Rickbubello@gmail.com
  3. rendrop's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickbubello View Post
    not a chance but this is what you can do. Activate your 9650 on verizon (it has to be activated) and call up global support and ask for your unlock code. After 2 mins and answering yes a whole bunch of times they will give you the unlock code for your berry, or any berry that is global on verizon as long as its activated on your account at the time.

    Pop in a gsm sim from another company, enter code twice and voila- your bold is unlocked
    great! so i wont have to use their global calling plan or anything in order to get that unlock code?
  4. rendrop's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    it is indeed unlocked out of the box!!
  5. ppliao's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I just check with my AT&T card. The Bold 9650 is locked. Has anyone else try calling global support and have the phone unlocked?
  6. mvm549's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    PIN
    G PONG-
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rendrop View Post
    it is indeed unlocked out of the box!!

    ya really? lets see it big boy
  7. bleekerbee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    101 Posts
    PIN
    3223315D
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvm549 View Post
    ya really? lets see it big boy
    lol...I can't help it...

    That's what she said!
  8. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #8  

    Default

    Yea I call BS on the OP confirming it comes unlocked out of the box. The post was made before the phone was even available to order. If the OP had a pre-released 9650 then this thread would've been pointless from the beginning.
  9. airegrrrl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I called Verizon about unlocking my 9650 on Monday and they complied. It took about 3 minutes on the phone and following a number of steps. The procedure was painless and civil. I plan on using a French SIM on a trip to Paris. Am I right in assuming that once unlocked, it stays unlocked?
  10. QWKSNKE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    833 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airegrrrl View Post
    Am I right in assuming that once unlocked, it stays unlocked?
    That is correct
  11. QWKSNKE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    833 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ppliao View Post
    I just check with my AT&T card. The Bold 9650 is locked. Has anyone else try calling global support and have the phone unlocked?
    Since AT&T does not use the same GSM frequency that the bold can use. I don't know that would have worked anyways
  12. soncorn's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
    Since AT&T does not use the same GSM frequency that the bold can use. I don't know that would have worked anyways
    The 9650 can use 850/900/1800/1900 bands for GSM.

    ATT uses 850 (cellular) and 1900 (PCS) in the US.
  13. shantk's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airegrrrl View Post
    I called Verizon about unlocking my 9650 on Monday and they complied. It took about 3 minutes on the phone and following a number of steps. The procedure was painless and civil. I plan on using a French SIM on a trip to Paris. Am I right in assuming that once unlocked, it stays unlocked?
    This might be slightly off-topic from the original question, but I plan on going to Paris for 5 weeks starting later this month. I was planning on getting the VZW global plan for the extra 30/month. I would like to have fully data(3g) and GPS capabilities. I am not so interested in voice calling, but most of the calls I would make/receive would probably be back to the US.
    Why are you going to use a French SIM? What are the pricing and data/voice allowances/capabilities on it? And which French SIM/provider do you plan on using?

    Thanks!
  14. rendrop's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    well i asked a sales rep online directly if the phone was UNLOCKED out of the box and they said it was. so i guess its not according to the posts ive just read?
  15. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #15  

    Default

    Do you believe everything that reps tell you? I had a rep tell me last week that the iPhone would definitely be announced on Verizon this week.

    The point is that you should take everything a rep tells you with a grain of salt, especially if that phone hasn't even been released yet.
  16. shantk's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rendrop View Post
    well i asked a sales rep online directly if the phone was UNLOCKED out of the box and they said it was. so i guess its not according to the posts ive just read?
    I'm on the phone with a VZW Global rep. She says it's not unlocked yet. She can't even find the unlock instructions at the moment.
  17. bleekerbee's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    101 Posts
    PIN
    3223315D
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shantk View Post
    I'm on the phone with a VZW Global rep. She says it's not unlocked yet. She can't even find the unlock instructions at the moment.
    I think that's BS. The procedure would be the same as the 9630. Isn't the unlock code generated from the IMEI number?
  18. ridesno159's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,250 Posts
    PIN
    What's that?
    #18  

    Default

    Yes, yes, and yes bleekerbee. Sounds to me like just another misinformed new cs rep to me.
  19. airegrrrl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shantk View Post
    Why are you going to use a French SIM? What are the pricing and data/voice allowances/capabilities on it? And which French SIM/provider do you plan on using?

    Thanks!
    I'm using a Mobiho SIM and I read about it in a number of places, including the Cellular Abroad Website. I actually purchased in from Amazon. My main concern was to have a phone number in hand before I left so as to be able to give it to my mother in law, who is 95. Incoming international calls are free; calls to US are about 27 cents a minute; incoming text messages are free and outgoing international texts about 1.17 per text (I think the euro is about $1.20 today). These prices beat the Verizon rates significantly. Sorry, but I didn't look into other aspects.
  20. QWKSNKE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    833 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soncorn View Post
    The 9650 can use 850/900/1800/1900 bands for GSM.

    ATT uses 850 (cellular) and 1900 (PCS) in the US.
    Interesting. I was unaware that this was done on the world phones now. My prior ones were not 850 compatible

Posting Permissions