Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trying to activate a non-activated Bold

My friend gave me his Blackberry Bold 9650. He never activated it because he switched to an iPhone, but when I tried to activate it for my number by pressing #228 and entered my phone number as prompted under the activation option, it said the phone number was not the one assigned to that current phone. I "unlocked" it using an unlocking code that I purchased, but it still won't accept my number. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. Just to clarify...he originally had a Bold, but it broke and he had insurance on it, so Verizon sent him another one (refurbished), but instead of using that, he just "upgraded" to an iPhone instead.
    Last edited by kms1s; 02-03-2013 at 09:38 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,074 Global Posts

To what carrier is the device branded?
    On what carrier are you attempting to use the device?
    Under what circumstances did your friend obtain the device? For example, was it one that he got as a replacement and was supposed to activate it on his account?

Note that "unlocking" only pertains to the GSM side of the device. It does not apply to the CDMA side of the device.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,451 Global Posts

Default Trying to activate a non-activated Bold

Try the ##000000 MSL change and input your VZW number or you have to call 611 for them to activate it on your account if it was never activated on the VZW account it was intended to be on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BLACKBERRY!! We go where you go!

BBM#71
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    To what carrier is the device branded?
    On what carrier are you attempting to use the device?
    Under what circumstances did your friend obtain the device? For example, was it one that he got as a replacement and was supposed to activate it on his account?

Note that "unlocking" only pertains to the GSM side of the device. It does not apply to the CDMA side of the device.
    It was branded to Verizon Wireless. My friend previously had a Bold, and it broke, but he had insurance through Verizon so he was sent a refurbished one for a replacement. At the time, he decided to get an iPhone instead, so he never activated the phone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by bunky1971 View Post
    Try the ##000000 MSL change and input your VZW number or you have to call 611 for them to activate it on your account if it was never activated on the VZW account it was intended to be on.
    I did that and it still didn't accept my number I haven't called 611 yet, but I did bring it to a Verizon store, but the salesperson said that once a number is locked to a phone, it can't be changed, and he claimed he couldn't do it. However, I am vaguely cynical since he had a Bold phone he was trying to sell me under the table for cash -claimed it was his demo phone when he worked for Blackberry, so I just want to be sure the phone really can't be activated and he wasn't trying to play me.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

The salesperson said since it was a "company" phone, it could not be freed unless my friend's business completely cut ties with their contract.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,074 Global Posts

Exactly. That's why I asked the question.