Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Tour vs Bold

Hi all, quick question. I apologize if it has been asked already, I searched but couldn't find it.

I have Sprint and the Tour, which is a pretty awesome BlackBerry. I have the opportunity to upgrade to the 9650 for $200. Is it worth it? I know opinions are like belly buttons, but all the same I'd appreciate y'all's feedback.

Thanx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH Harmonics ♬

Really depends on how important the $200 is to you. If it's worth getting OS 6, trackpad, and having WiFi to you, than it's a great choice. Personally, I'd do it.
    Spiral_ouT Keep Going
    Lateralus

CrackBerry Newbie

Bold 9650 has Wifi, and more memory. It will also support OS 6 which will come out eventually.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,193 Global Posts

Trackpad, newer chipset that supports opengl, double the memory, a much larger shot at getting OS6, wifi.

All depends. The Tour trackball was the worst trackball on any BB device ever made. For that reason alone, it's worth it imo... Wifi is useful (a bunch of people claim it's not). OS6 will be nice.

If for some reason the magical fairies have blessed your Tour and it actually works reliably long-term and you don't mind probably not getting OS6, then it might not be worth it.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Well, I wouldn't say that my Tour has been flawless (I had trackball issues, but a magnet always sets it right) but if the 9650 is much better I'll get it next week when I get paid.

I guess my main query was for ex-Tour users that could tell me what improvements they noticed when they upgraded.

Thank you all for your input; any other comments are most welcome and appreciated.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

How did a magnet fix your trackball?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    15,799 Global Posts

It is a worthy upgrade. I had a Tour before I got my Bold 9650 a couple of months ago. The trackpad, 512MB of memory, WiFi and the fact that it will soon have BB6 all make it worth it in my opinion. If you can afford the $200 go for it.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    ask me

Best Buy has it for $149.99.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

*jshmidt96, for Tour trackballs that get stuck, rubbing a magnet (like the one in the carrying case) releases the trackball. My uncle had the same problem with his old 9700.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo611 View Post
    *jshmidt96, for Tour trackballs that get stuck, rubbing a magnet (like the one in the carrying case) releases the trackball. My uncle had the same problem with his old 9700.

the 9700 doesnt have a trackball, it has a trackpad.

as far as Tour VS Bold, the Bold is much better phone then the Tour. I came from a Tour to the Bold and without question this is the best Blackberry I have ever owned. Trackpad, WIFI, doubled memory, Open GL, and 6.0 OS capable the Bold is the phone to get
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

My mistake, it was an older Bold or curve; for some reason 9700 just popped into my head.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

Is this a limited time offer, or will it still be available in 2 months? My worry would be having a Tour that is out of warranty. If its a standing offer you can hold off until either the Tour dies or you can no longer stand not having the Bold. You could wait until bb6 is released for it and skip the upgrade hassle, and have some idea of how well it handles the new OS.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

As a former Tour owner, I was hesitant at first to upgrade to the Bold, but I eventually caved in, sold my Tour, which helped pay for my Bold 9650 and besides the fact that the phone runs a bit snappier due to increased memory, the Wi-Fi was the single greatest addition to it. Such a life saver for a guy living in an area with ****ty cell reception.

I loved the Tour and the Bold + OS 6 would make this the perfect BB for me for a good while
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,132 Global Posts

after owning the tour and now having the bold, i say **** yeah its worth it.

If your Tour serves you well and the trackball is not a real issue, I'm not sure it is worth $200. It is a very nice phone. While I have used the wifi, so far I've not really been in a place where it was necessary to either avoid data costs or where data was not available but wifi was.

Can't Sprint offer a better price with a renewed contract or some discount?
    CrackBerry User

WiFi is bittersweet. When you have it, it spoils you. When you leave your house, work, school, etc., and all you have is the network, you find yourself extra irritated.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Mental_Medical View Post
    WiFi is bittersweet. When you have it, it spoils you. When you leave your house, work, school, etc., and all you have is the network, you find yourself extra irritated.
    Wifi does kick **** :-)

I notice when I use Wifi without the browser set to hotspot, its faster than the network, but with it set to hotspot it seems even faster. Is there a faster or automatic way of switching back and forth? Seems kind of primitive.

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thenameless1 View Post
    Wifi does kick **** :-)

I notice when I use Wifi without the browser set to hotspot, its faster than the network, but with it set to hotspot it seems even faster. Is there a faster or automatic way of switching back and forth? Seems kind of primitive.

It should automatically switch on its own.

Besides, what the Hotspot browser does is bypass the BIS server so your Blackberry downloads and processes full HTML web pages on its own (also intended for Wi-Fi hotspot log-in pages), so Internet Browser (which connects to BIS via Wi-Fi) should be faster since it compresses the web page beforehand.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    1,520 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey

The screen is actually better on the Bold. I haven't been able to pull up any specs but when I hold my old tour and my bold next to each other on the same same screen brightness setting the bold is much clearer. The trackpad took some getting used to but I don't think I'd ever be able to go back to a trackball. I love all the extra memory and wifi is cool. I have verizon tho so wifi was never really an issue for me but now I can surf the web and talk since cdma doesn't support this without wifi enabled. Overall it was worth the 200 to me but to you it might not be.
    - Sha
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    PIN
    pm me

i would do it bold 9650 is what the 9630 should've been
    feel free to send request i'm always looking for new people to talk with
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    PIN
    WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Trackpad, newer chipset that supports opengl, double the memory, a much larger shot at getting OS6, wifi.

All depends. The Tour trackball was the worst trackball on any BB device ever made. For that reason alone, it's worth it imo... Wifi is useful (a bunch of people claim it's not). OS6 will be nice.

If for some reason the magical fairies have blessed your Tour and it actually works reliably long-term and you don't mind probably not getting OS6, then it might not be worth it.
    See, I will have to disagree. I've had both the Tour and 9650, though I love the extra memory of the 9650, I thoroughly prefer the Tour's trackball to the 9650's trackpad (I went through two 9650s because of faulty trackpad).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    PIN
    sanity!

No way it is worth $200, should be free with a new contract.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Just confirmed with CS rep: on 9/1/10, I can upgrade for $199 after MIR.

....hope I don't get a faulty trackpad; I already had 2 faulty trackballs....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Verizon will let you upgrade now for $99 if you have owned your Tour for over 12 months.

Call back Sprint and ask if they will price match Verizon's deal. I have seen other posters get the $99 upgrade from Sprint by them matching VZ's deal.

In my opinion, $200 to let them upgrade your phone is steep. Sprint is ripping you off.

VZ also let's you keep your Tour when you upgrade. You could easily sell your Tour on Craigslist for $100.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,886 Global Posts

Are you getting a rebate? Are they waiving their upgrade fee? I got mine for 99 after my mail in rebate. I am with Verizon. It is an awesome device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast