Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Screen glass or plastic?

The VZW reps promised me the Bold screen was scratch proof glass when I got my Bold. I didn't believe them and have an Invisible Shield screen protector on it.

I have a small smudge and a spec of dust under the screen protector that annoys me. Just want to make sure the screen protector is necessary.

It's not glass, is it? Damn sure seems like plastic to me. Doesn't seem to scratch as easy as my 8330 though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,751 Global Posts
    PIN
    321ECD5A

i think it's plastic. i have a storm, that is glass, and it definitely doesn't feel like my bold.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That's what I was thinking but the VZW reps were so insistent that I was wrong and that the Bold had glass.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH Harmonics ♬

Not sure what it is. I'm leaning on the plastic side, but I'll go with glasstic haha. All I know is it definitely can scratch! And pretty easily at that.

They make static cling screen protectors that don't use adhesive to cohere to the screen. If you get one of those and have dust or something under it, your free to remove the protector and then put it back on because there is no stickyness to be lost.
    Spiral_ouT Keep Going
    Lateralus

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I can remove the invisible shield and reapply it as well, but the orange peel makes me sick to my stomach. Waiting on my body guardz to come in. Unfortunately I was ignorant to the fact that UPS mail innovations takes 3 weeks to deliver stuff. There is your forewarning, I didn't get one.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,244 Global Posts

the screen on our phones are the actual LCD, not a plastic screen over it. i wouldnt be surprised if the LCD has a thin glass sheet over it. i wouldnt consider it scratchproof.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,085 Global Posts

I've had my bold since release day and I usually have some very fine scratches on a screen by now of any other phone I've had. My bold is so far 100% scratch free. I'm thinking it's a better than average for scratch resistance.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

I have no idea... but I use seidio ultimate screen guard and
    it works great. hard to apply. I bought another screen protector
    from wireless giant greatest screen protector i ever used. I have to
    go find the package its also available online. I'll get back to you on that

Global Posts
    5,385 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ten of them makes a frame

Quote Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
    the screen on our phones are the actual LCD, not a plastic screen over it. i wouldnt be surprised if the LCD has a thin glass sheet over it. i wouldnt consider it scratchproof.
    Yes, the actual LCD screen is glass. Not scratch-proof, but it is glass. That's how LCD works (a thin film of liquid crystal sandwiched between two sheets of polarized glass).

The part you can touch is plastic. Also not scratch-proof.
    Last edited by aerophage; 08-15-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I was referring to the outer portion of the phones screen, not the actual LCD. Is it plastic or glass? Scratch resistant? Screen protector necessary?

I guess once my BodyGuardz comes in I will use it regardless just to make sure.

Global Posts
    5,385 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ten of them makes a frame

It's plastic. And no, it's not scratch resistant.
    "Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchZero View Post
    They could call it a 'Ninja Star Danger Jock' for all anyone cares.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    14,997 Global Posts

I don't think it's scratch resistant.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Why would any sales rep not just go the "safe" route and tell you it isn't scratch-proof and sell you some screen protectors? That guy isn't going to make it very far if that is really his sales style. I've been in sales for eight years and there is no way I would make such a bold (lol) claim only to potentially be wrong AND miss out on selling an accessory. Sounds ridiculous to me.

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by agough05 View Post
    Why would any sales rep not just go the "safe" route and tell you it isn't scratch-proof and sell you some screen protectors? That guy isn't going to make it very far if that is really his sales style. I've been in sales for eight years and there is no way I would make such a bold (lol) claim only to potentially be wrong AND miss out on selling an accessory. Sounds ridiculous to me.

No kidding! Sounds like the rep dropped the ball on bumping up his commission/impressing his superiors. Even if the accessories aren't the best, the idea is to sell them, right? I mean...that's just business. You don't say, "Oh, no, you don't need that, don't worry." You make the customer believe he/she DOES need it, whether they do or not.

The screen is different than my 8330, which was definitely plastic, but nothing is scratch proof.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

as soon as i got the bold, i got a privacy screen protector. couldn't be any happier, and even if the screen was easy to scratch, i wouldn't know
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

You know what's funny is that it was the same rep that sold me the Droid I had for a week. Convinced me the near scratch proof gorilla glass Droid screen needed a screen protector.

Sigh...VZW

CrackBerry User

Default Blod 9780 has a glass screen, scratch resistant

Guys, late to the thread but I'll tell you I've had my Bold 9780 for over 2 years, no case, no screen protector, in my pocket all the time with keys etc and no scratches. I've also dropped it dozens of times, sometimes from great heights. And once into a swimming pool. Still chugging along just fine .... Can't comment on the 9650 however ....