Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ringtones blocked as "protected content"

Have a handful of ringtones I've been using for a year or two now with no issues. They were on my Tour media card, which I popped into the Bold I just got. Bold won't let me set any of those songs as ringtones, I get a "protected content" error. Two are actually tones I purchased ages ago from VZW, my preferred tone is a song I edited myself and used. File path on each of them is Media Card/Blackberry/Ringtones and file extension for each is ".rem" if that matters. I don't get it?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,547 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AC9A2F5

They are DRM protected.
    Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

But why now? I mean, I purchased two of them directly from VZW ages ago. And the one I made myself worked fine on the Tour and even further back (pretty sure I used it on my 8330 as well as far back as 18 months ago).

I would suggest re-working your own mp3 again - did you encrypt the SD card?

As for the purchased ones - could they be locked to the phone you had at the time? I have never purchased ringtones but are they sold for just ONE phone and cannot be transferred?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Hi F2,
    Thanks. No, didn't encrypt SD card. Or at least not on purpose.
    It seems to have something do to with which source I choose to set the ringtone.
    From Options I get blocked.
    If I go into Media and play some of the clips, I'm able to set some of the blocked ones as ringtones. Others I get an error. (Not a blocked message like Options does, but an error message.)

Plus I think this Media Card might be corrupt, I've gotten a prompt to repair it several times in the past couple months. Just got one when playing some songs. (Don't know if that's related or not.) I have an extra MC kicking around here somewhere from my 8330.

I'm still fiddling with it. My artistic leanings are of the paint variety. Music mixing is not my forte. It would be nice to get my songs back, you know that familiar sound you listen for when you can't find your phone? But at this point I'm just glad to get away from wonky trackballs!!
    CrackBerry Master

I would put the card in a card reader on the PC and transfer all content to a temporary folder on the PC. Then put the card in the the Bold and format it. After that, connect the Bold to the PC and cut/paste on your content back onto the Bold's memory card.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a .rem file an encrypted file? If those are encrypted files, you'll have to put the card in the Tour and remove encryption; then, perform the steps outlined above. Whatever you do, you should always format a card in the device prior to using it.
    Respect must be earned before it's merited.
    Treat others like you envision yourself being treated.
    Never argue with an imbecile ...it's impossible to win, as well as it's impossible for bystanders to identify who's the true imbecile.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by RegE View Post
    I would put the card in a card reader on the PC and transfer all content to a temporary folder on the PC. Then put the card in the the Bold and format it. After that, connect the Bold to the PC and cut/paste on your content back onto the Bold's memory card.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a .rem file an encrypted file? If those are encrypted files, you'll have to put the card in the Tour and remove encryption; then, perform the steps outlined above. Whatever you do, you should always format a card in the device prior to using it.
    Thanks!! And I can easily do all that. But does the card have to be in the Tour to remove the encryption? Can I do that with the Bold? I just shipped the last of a batch of Tours back today. (Literally grabbed the FedEx guy leaving on his truck from O Max to get them out of here.)

I believe if they were encrypted on the Tour you would need that EXACT Tour.
    CrackBerry Master

Yeah, F2 is correct. If those files are in fact encrypted, they can't be decrypted on anything other than the device that encrypted them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I remember now.
    Something when I got the launch day Tour.
    There was a prompt asking me if I wanted to encrypt files.
    Why I would answer yes is beyond me.
    (I was back home on vacation the day after I got it. So either I was tired from the drive, high from the smell of freshly mowed hay field, or rolled the trackball wrong.)
    Since it was brand new there would be nothing else on it to encrypt.

But, there might be hope yet. There is a chance those same ringtones are on the SD card from my 8330 as well. (I backup everything, but have yet to locate my favorite homemade ringtone on my PC. Figures.) After I have some coffee & wake up I'll go rummage through the closet for the 8330 card.

And I'm just thinking out loud here. Curious & trying to learn. If I encrypted on Tour #1 and it has to be undone with that exact phone, why did Tour #2 just pick up where #1 left off and assign my same song but not give the encryption error?

On a side note, guess I better go ahead with transferring data to PC & format the current Tour/Bold SD card. Do you think that would get rid of the prompts to repair it, or do those prompts indicate its corrupt?
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by periwinklemoon View Post
    ...On a side note, guess I better go ahead with transferring data to PC & format the current Tour/Bold SD card. Do you think that would get rid of the prompts to repair it, or do those prompts indicate its corrupt?
    Those prompts are usually caused by read/write errors. If you format your card and you still get errors, I'd replace the card with a 'higher quality' card. I've found that with SDHC cards, you really do get what you pay for.
    Never argue with an imbecile ...it's impossible to win, as well as it's impossible for bystanders to identify who's the true imbecile.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

OK, thanks a bunch to you and F2 for helping me out here!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    PIN
    K-the best color ever!

I don't know if this will help at all, but I make my ringtones from phonezoo.com and that way I can always resend them to my phone if needed-no matter what phone I have. If you upload the song, you can remake them if you want (if you still have the song) or maybe download someone else's version. Just trying to think if things to help ya.
    Tour 9630 to Bold 9650 to Bold 9930
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Oh, thanks McNibbler! I didn't know that site existed! I'll bookmark it and give it a shot if my attempts fail.
    CrackBerry Master

periwinklemoon,
    Every time I perform a backup, I copy my entire SD card to my PC. This way, If I should experience a catastrophic loss, I can restore everything as if nothing happened. I also have my frequently used sounds and wallpapers stored on the device so as to eliminate any potential read issues with the card. This won't help you now with your current situation, but after you get on your feet you can consider an additional form of backing-up. Of course, this is without encryption because if you lose your phone, you'll be in the same boat.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Thank you RegE, like F2 you are full of good info.

I have one last question. I found the card in my 8330, it's an 8GB I got for next to nothing with sale/coupon. Forgot that was what I was using in Curve. So I'm going to put that in the Bold till I can get the better quality you mentioned. (No ringtone on it tho, very weird.)

My printer reads a variety of cards but is just old enough to not have a slot for microSD.

Is it OK to format SD card directly via the blackberry? I found instructions online which said that's the best way to do it anway, rather than via Windows. But want to make sure it's OK before I proceed. Unless I get an updated card reader I have no choice, since when the card is in the berry it's not recognized as a Drive in WinXP.

And if I do format via phone, should it be via Curve or Bold? Does it matter which phone it's in when formatted, since it was used in Curve only?
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 08-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

You should always format the card on the BB and on the BB it"s gonna be used in. Otherwise, you're defeating the purpose of formatting. You want to marry the card to the device - if you know what I mean.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Got it!
    Thanks so much, really appreciate the assistance on this one!
    Feels good to learn new things, too.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Just wanted to post back an update, and also in case anyone else pulls a dumb stunt like I did.
    I learned a lot about encryption here, so that's good.
    I just got a bargain on a SDHC card with reader/adapter so my PC will read it, so that's good.
    And I got my favorite ringtone back. That's very good!

Had to do what F2 said and start over. I battled Audacity, jumping through all the hoops to convert the M4a. (I suspect iTunes converted some MP3s to M4a during an upgrade?) Just didn't fly. So I repurchased my song from a different source online where it was in MP3 format. Once I had that it took all of 10 minutes to make my ringtone again. I even added a cool little fade at the end.

Now I'm set and glad to hear that familiar sound again.
    And it's backed up all over the place, lol.
    Thanks for all the help & knowledge shared!
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 09-11-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default The cake was a lie.

Solution:

- Plug BB into computer
    - Go into BB desktop manager and download the ringtones (likely located in: Files/Device/Home/User/Ringtones) into a folder on your desktop. Delete all the ringtones on the BB itself.
    - Download the trial version of Tunebite 6. ( Audials Tunebite 9 - Legally record, convert and enjoy copy-protected music, films and DVDs )
    - Click converter option in top right. Click add files -> dropdown-> select add folder (the one with the ringtones)
    - Select the output in bottom of main screen. Choose "All to MP3". It may ask you to download a LAME encoder, select the option that tells it to download one itself.
    -Click "start". When the process completes, go to the output folder and coppy the files back onto your BB (Files/Device/Home/User/Ringtones folder).
    -Damn the man. Repeatedly.

You've just ripped the DRM encoding off of your files. Congrats!!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts

Do I really have to go through what paul.stulov described above to use the ringtones I've been using for the last 2+ years?

I finally updated to the latest OS on my Bold 9650 (6.0.0.719), and afterwards discovered my sound/alert profiles were all screwed-up. In fact, the custom alert profile I had created was completely missing.

Then I discovered after re-creating the custom profile and starting from scratch on all the rest that I couldn't set BerryBuzz to play the usual tones I had been using. So I decided I may as well update BerryBuzz to the latest BeBuzz, and paid another $3 - thinking maybe there was some OS compatibility issue.

But BeBuzz 6.0.28 continues to tell me it can't play most of the default ringtones because they're 'protected' - the same ones I had been using in BerryBuzz a few hours before. It suggests copying the default ringtones to another folder but they can't be copied. (If I try to do this using FileScout I just end up with a bunch of 0-byte files)

And it looks like BellShare is now hiding their forums page and the content there is no longer up to date.

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on here? Even if there is a 'workaround' I'd really like to know what RIM did during my OS "upgrade". (which is beginning to look like a downgrade)
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3218B92A

Omnitech if you have the files saved on a memory card and are in .mp3 format already you should just copy the files to computer and then copy them back other wise you would have to do what paul said
    Banned

Global Posts
    10,601 Global Posts

I have no problem with the 3rd-party ringtones sitting on my MicroSD card. The problem is that apparently RIM is protecting the BUILT-IN ringtone files with DRM, and they were not protected like that until I updated the OS from an earlier 6.x release to 6.0.0.719.

I tried copying them (as suggested in the error message you get in BeBuzz if you try to use them for alerts) but they are un-copyable.

EDIT: I would just like to know if indeed what RIM has done is start DRM protecting ringtones that were never DRM-protected before. Is that what they did with the newer releases of BBOS 6? Because if I know categorically that that is what happened, I might consider trying what paul.stulov wrote. But if there is some other way that I can just go back to happily using the same ringtones that I always used before without any problem, then I would prefer to do that. I really don't want to be messing around changing internal OS files if I don't have to, it's the kind of thing that can eventually bite you back.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3218B92A

The built in files were always drm protected as far back as 8330 now why its causing the issue now I'm not certain I know that happened to me when I went to os 6 but I think all I did was reload the os and it was fixed because I'm using .719 and I don't have the error
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast