Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Reason for name change?

I know that some of the articles we've all seen have said that the name change is to placate current Tour owners, but I think that there's another reason for the name change.

Everyone has been saying the the Tour 2's release depends on when Verizon approves OS 5.0. What if the name change was a workaround to this problem?

By changing the name to Bold, they can release the Tour 2/Bold without having to rush an approval for the Tour OS 5.0. This means the already-shipped 9650s (reported by BBMChat) have probably been sent back to RIM for reboxing and possibly to have the software changed to reflect the name change. This way the manufactured phones can be sold to the public while Verizon tests the latest OS 5.0 build.

The name change:
    1. Allows Verizon (and subsequently Sprint) to release the phones without the burden of having Verizon approve an OS they do not have confidence in.

2. Lets them sell their stock of Tours alongside the newly-renamed Bold without being in the position of appearing to offer an outdated phone.

I doubt that RIM is going to change hardware or anything drastic like that, as some are suggesting. I think this move was done to get the phones out for sale faster.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    WHEEL

Already been discussed. With all these reasons combined it's really shaping up to be a half-assed attempt to dodge a bullet that already been fired. SMH.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

Just read the front page of CB, it says why the name change...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I thought the CS at the sprint store was crazy when he was telling me the bold is going to be out next week. I asked him if he use to work for AT&T. Now it all makes sense.

PIN
    What's that?

If it hasn't been released or even confirmed by any carrier, then how has the name changed? The sources that said it was a Tour 2 could have been wrong or were just assuming it would be called that.

And yes, front page of CB.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Yes, I'm quite aware of the front page article. I'm just saying that maybe the reasons given on the front page article are not the only reasons. Maybe you should read what I wrote.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Scan my Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by jda178 View Post

2. Lets them sell their stock of Tours alongside the newly-renamed Bold without being in the position of appearing to offer an outdated phone.
    I don't know about other areas but in my area verizon stores are no longer stocking Tour phones and some stores don't have any Tours available... So if it is true nationwide then how can they sell the Tour phone if they don't have any available?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ridesno159 View Post
    If it hasn't been released or even confirmed by any carrier, then how has the name changed? The sources that said it was a Tour 2 could have been wrong or were just assuming it would be called that.

have to remember that the cellebrite systems had it in as the tour 9650 so somebody had it named as another tour
    CrackBerry User

There were Tours available in my area this past weekend, because I bought one since I needed a new phone and I figured if it's out in the next 30 days I can exchange. Looks like I might have bet wrong, but let's hope not.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K on the inside

Oh oh. Ppl gettin testy all over again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    3054E38C

People who have the 9650 said it was labeled as the Tour2 so it was originally going to be called that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Mike3636 View Post
    have to remember that the cellebrite systems had it in as the tour 9650 so somebody had it named as another tour
    It was listed in the Cellbrite as 9650 Essex, which seemed odd. Why would a RIM code "Essex" be in Verizon's Cellbrite in the first place.
    "THATS IT, THATS THE LAST STAW. I'M GONNA SET THE BUILDING ON FIRE" Milton Waddams
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy294 View Post
    It was listed in the Cellbrite as 9650 Essex, which seemed odd. Why would a RIM code "Essex" be in Verizon's Cellbrite in the first place.
    my bad... lol

PIN
    What's that?

So your saying that RIM changed the name because Verizon isn't ready for another Tour? That makes no sense. If RIM wants to release and make it available they will (unless they're not ready yet). It would be Verizon's issue then, and if Verizon doesn't want to sell it yet? That would be Verizon's problem, not RIM's. I know Sprint would sell lots of Tour 2/Bolds if RIM made the phone available. So I don't think the phone is ready yet.

The Storm 1 is still selling just fine along side the Storm 2. The Tour has a trackball which some prefer, and not everybody needs Wifi, especially if your on Verizon.

Yes, I know that the Tour 1 was only released in late July/early August (I think??) but we have been hearing of this phone for months. It could still be another month or two before we see this phone, maybe more. There has been zero official information from the companies/sources that matter with this phone release (no cellbrite doesn't count), so we don't know when it will be available. You can't change the name of something that doesn't officially exist.

Finally, I did read what you wrote, but ignored it because your reasoning was poorly thought out and executed.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 02-22-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

So your saying that RIM changed the name because Verizon isn't ready for another Tour? That makes no sense. If RIM wants to release and make it available they will (unless they're not ready yet). It would be Verizon's issue then, and if Verizon doesn't want to sell it yet? That would be Verizon's problem, not RIM's. I know Sprint would sell lots of Tour 2/Bolds if RIM made the phone available. So I don't think the phone is ready yet.

The Storm 1 is still selling just fine along side the Storm 2. The Tour has a trackball which some prefer, and not everybody needs Wifi, especially if your on Verizon.

Yes, I know that the Tour 1 was only released in late July/early August (I think??) but we have been hearing of this phone for months. It could still be another month or two before we see this phone, maybe more. There has been zero official information from the companies/sources that matter with this phone release (no cellbrite doesn't count), so we don't know when it will be available. You can't change the name of something that doesn't officially exist.

Finally, I did read what you wrote, but ignored it because your reasoning was poorly thought out and executed.
    OK, read what is in bold in the first post.
    I think that a major reason behind the delay and renaming is that the 5.0 OS has not been released for the Tour. From what I've read, the Essex/Tour 2/Bold's release will come after Verizon approves OS 5.0 for the Tour. Verizon is releasing the phone before Sprint according to everything I've read, so neither carrier can offer the phone until Verizon approves the OS 5.0 for the Tour. From the information out there, it seems that the 2nd phone in a series is released after the approval of its predecessor's upgraded OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this happened with the Storm and Storm2.
    In order to get the phones out there and circumvent this rule, the phone has been renamed Bold. This means the phone can be released without upgrading the OS of its predecessor, as the phone technically no longer has a predecessor.
    Overall, I think there are many reasons the phone may have been renamed, not just what I have written.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    3054E38C

I think that a major reason behind the delay and renaming is that the 5.0 OS has not been released for the Tour. From what I've read, the Essex/Tour 2/Bold's release will come after Verizon approves OS 5.0 for the Tour. Verizon is releasing the phone before Sprint according to everything I've read, so neither carrier can offer the phone until Verizon approves the OS 5.0 for the Tour. From the information out there, it seems that the 2nd phone in a series is released after the approval of its predecessor's upgraded OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this happened with the Storm and Storm2.
    In order to get the phones out there and circumvent this rule, the phone has been renamed Bold. This means the phone can be released without upgrading the OS of its predecessor, as the phone technically no longer has a predecessor.
    Overall, I think there are many reasons the phone may have been renamed, not just what I have written.
    I don't think Verizon has the power to rename a phone, I think RIM is in charge of naming the phones since it is their product.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by kram941 View Post
    I don't think Verizon has the power to rename a phone, I think RIM is in charge of naming the phones since it is their product.
    I agree. I think it was RIM's decision. It is in their interest to get the phones out there for sale as soon as possible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I agree. I think it was RIM's decision. It is in their interest to get the phones out there for sale as soon as possible.
    I think so too. Verizon can't change the name. That's like a car dealership changing the name of a Toyota 4runner to a Rav4. Only Toyota could actually make that change, not the seller.

may not be the best example but you get the point

PIN
    What's that?

Oh I read it the first time, but am still confused by your logic. Yes it did happen with the Storms. Did it happen with the Curve 2 that just came out a few months ago? Did Att have an official 5.0 9000 OS when the 9700 was released? So because they did it with the Storms that is a rule that can't be broken now? I'm getting more confused now as this thread progresses.

Not one of your reasons for the name change have any warrant to them, so I would love to hear your other reasons.
    CrackBerry User

No, I think you read what was written and disagreed. Thats the beauty of our country. The fact that you responded clearly indicates that you didn't ignore it making your remark poorly thought out and executed. While I could be wrong, just because Storm 1 is still available does not mean that Storm 1 is still being manufactured. Many who mentioned the change of name from Tour to Bold also mentioned the discontinuation of the Tour 1. Many on these threads ridiculed both of those mentions. It appears, at least for now, that the 9650 will be called the Bold, seems to lend more credibility to the discontinuation "rumor". Also, just for the record, you can change the name of something that doesn't officially exist. Our government does it all the time.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    3054E38C

Quote Originally Posted by 82airborne View Post
    no, i think you read what was written and disagreed. Thats the beauty of our country. The fact that you responded clearly indicates that you didn't ignore it making your remark poorly thought out and executed. While i could be wrong, just because storm 1 is still available does not mean that storm 1 is still being manufactured. Many who mentioned the change of name from tour to bold also mentioned the discontinuation of the tour 1. Many on these threads ridiculed both of those mentions. It appears, at least for now, that the 9650 will be called the bold, seems to lend more credibility to the discontinuation "rumor". Also, just for the record, you can change the name of something that doesn't officially exist. Our government does it all the time.
    please no one go off topic and start talking about our dam government!!!
    Last edited by kram941; 02-22-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Oh I read it the first time, but am still confused by your logic. Yes it did happen with the Storms. Did it happen with the Curve 2 that just came out a few months ago? Did Att have an official 5.0 9000 OS when the 9700 was released? So because they did it with the Storms that is a rule that can't be broken now? I'm getting more confused now as this thread progresses.

Not one of your reasons for the name change have any warrant to them, so I would love to hear your other reasons.
    I can tell you get easily confused. Let me explain myself so you can understand. This is my theory as to another reason the phone may have been renamed. Obviously there are things going on with RIM and the carriers we know nothing about.

PIN
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by 82Airborne View Post
    No, I think you read what was written and disagreed. Thats the beauty of our country. The fact that you responded clearly indicates that you didn't ignore it making your remark poorly thought out and executed. While I could be wrong, just because Storm 1 is still available does not mean that Storm 1 is still being manufactured. Many who mentioned the change of name from Tour to Bold also mentioned the discontinuation of the Tour 1. Many on these threads ridiculed both of those mentions. It appears, at least for now, that the 9650 will be called the Bold, seems to lend more credibility to the discontinuation "rumor". Also, just for the record, you can change the name of something that doesn't officially exist. Our government does it all the time.
    lol, all your statements could very well be correct, but they are all just rumors because we haven't got an official statement about discountinued anything yet. That's all we can do is speculate, which is why I like CB. People just need to to realize the difference between rumors and facts (I'm not saying your guilty of this). If it doesn't come from a credible source, it's someones opinion.

Oh and for the record, we all would be in big trouble if we start acting like the government.

Quote Originally Posted by kram941 View Post
    please no one go off topic and start talking about our dam government!!!
    YES We don't need no politics on CB

PIN
    What's that?

I can tell you get easily confused. Let me explain myself so you can understand. This is my theory as to another reason the phone may have been renamed. Obviously there are things going on with RIM and the carriers we know nothing about.
    Oh it's actually quite rare that I get confused. It happens though when someone tries to prove a theory they have with a bunch of opinions and rumors. How would your current or previous science or logic teacher feel about how you supported your theory?
    CrackBerry User

Default Sorry for the government stuff

Got caught up in the moment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast