Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Phone "feels" broken inside

I've had this Blackberry for a couple weeks now and have never dropped it or even come close to dropping it. I will probably baby it for the next month as I do with all my phones. So my problem is when you lightly tap the top portion of the phone you can feel and hear a rattling coming from inside like something has broken off and is now moving around freely inside. Is this a common problem or am I the only one? I could imagine if I dropped it and it broke but I never dropped this phone.

Also I checked and the vibrator is located on the other side of the phone so it's not that.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mine is solid as a brick. No rattle when tapped or shaken. Nothing that I can think of should be rattling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Both mine and my son's are like that. When you put it down or tap it, it sounds like something's loose inside. I guess its normal. I thought something was broken too but his does the same thing. Haven't dropped it and it sits in silicon cover. I don't know why that is. You would think that shouldn't be normal but it seems to be.
    Last edited by zwoof; 08-24-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    982 Global Posts

That sound is normal. It's coming from the camera. I think it's the shutter that's moving around.
    The Red Informant - thoughts from an independent geek
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts

Rattles are absolutely not normal. This phone should be silent when you GENTLY shake it. If it rattles, then it's broken.

If you are convinced that you did not drop it or severely bump it around in a bag/purse/large pocket, I would call customer service and explain the issue. Minor case scratches and dings and bumping/jostling around are considered normal wear. If you've had it less than 30 days, then they may replace it. Often it is easier to get phones replaced by customer service. If you'd rather take your chance in the store, I would take it back and plead the case to the rep. If he/she tells you that you damaged it and the phone is not defective, ask for a supervisor and try again. If all else fails at the store, then the insurance provider will likely replace it after charging the deductible.

If you have Verizon service, they also offer the option to purchase a refurbished unit at a discounted price. This is only allowed once per year per line. You have to ask for it at a company store or by calling customer service, though. It isn't available online.

VZW is normally more than reasonable with regard to handsets. If you keep your cool and keep the story simple / easy to remember, I would expect things to work out for you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts

I vote that it's normal. That is if you're talking about tapping the back of the phone near the top where the camera is. If i take it there, I can hear a slight rattling noise.
    CrackBerry Abuser

There were many threads on this subject after the 9650 was released. As redwanhuq stated, the rattle is related to the camera lens.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    15,703 Global Posts

I've seen threads on this issue before. It is related to the camera lens. I haven't noticed it on mine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

I didn't think about that being the shutter inside the camera. Makes sense because if you shake the phone, it don't make that noise. It's only when the phone is tapped. And when tapped, the sound does come from the top of the phone. I almost took mine back but when I tried it on the other phone, it was the exact same thing. Apparently, this is normal then. Since the phones are working perfectly fine, it isn't a problem.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    PIN
    ???????????

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY TOUR AND NOW MY BOLD..........NO ONE INCLUDED SPRINT KNEW WHAT IT WAS............ITS FROM THE VIBRATER......i know that sounds stupid.......its the piece in your phone that makes it vibrate when it rings or when u get a message............had it sent in and thats what RIm said............LOL trust me its not broke. i just got a new BOLD 9650 last week and it does it too
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    PIN
    Verizon is so much better then those other guys...no question about it

yea its normal for some bolds...don't worry about it nothing is broken
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    PIN
    G!

I never noticed it until this thread. I tap on the camera lense and hear a slight rattle, but I hard more of a rattle when clicking on my trackpad--- sounds like a piece of loose tape underneath it.

CrackBerry User

It isn't normal, but while Googling about it when I first bought my Bold, I read that RIM has stated that it isn't anything to worry about. Just another poor QC on their part. If only I could have the 9650 guts in my rock-solid 8330.

The rattle has to be from the camera or internal speaker. Sometimes on calls, if the other person's volume is loud, I hear a slight metallic buzzing noise, like the volume is rapidly vibrating whatever seems to be loose inside. Really annoying, but I never buy insurance, I'm months out of my exchange window, and I don't care for refurbished junk.