Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Password not accepted -- even though it's correct?

Greetings, I've noticed on my VZW 9650 that if the screen is password locked, and I start typing in my password when the screen is black, that I'll get an "Incorrect Password" message -- even though I'm entering the correct password. But, if I turn on the screen first, choose "Unlock" and THEN type my password, it's always accepted. So, this issue only occurs if I start typing the password directly from the black screen.

I've found that after a few incorrect passwords, the BlackBerry will start showing you the password you're typing, instead of just bullets. If I get to this point, I can see that the reason the password is being rejected is because capitol letters are being inserted in the middle of the password. For example, if I type "password" it's actually being entered as "pasSword" -- hence the rejection.

This is very odd, and I can confirm that this behavior does NOT happen on my 9700 -- it's only on the 9650.

Hopefully I explained clearly enough -- has anyone else seen this? Or better yet, SOLVED it? I would really prefer to not have to press the "Unlock" button before entering my password every time.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,189 Global Posts

The first key to wake up the screen is probably ignored.
    CrackBerry User

Learn something new every day. I never knew you could just type the password without hitting the unlock button. Works fine on my 9650. Are you sure you're not holding that one key just a little too long causing it to capitalize? Sure looks like it to me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

I have no problems just typing my password. This is a nice feature and I have used it for a long time with no errors (at least ones I didn't make).
    It could be as scassel has suggested, you are capitalizing by holding to long. Could also be you are inadvertently hitting the shift key before typing a letter.
    CrackBerry Addict

From what I have observed, password problems mostly tend to be from user error. As stated above, it appears like you are holding some keys down too long, causing them to capitalize. (I notice that on the Bold you don't need to hold the key down long before it goes into caps - I actually wish there was a way to change that setting).

I too enter my password straight from a black screen, and have learned to hit the keys smoothly and quickly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stubbornswiss View Post
    (I notice that on the Bold you don't need to hold the key down long before it goes into caps - I actually wish there was a way to change that setting).
    I believe that the setting for this is "Options"/"Screen/Keyboard"/"Key Rate". I leave mine set to "Normal", maybe a setting of slow would be better for the OP.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks everyone for your guesses, but I'm definitely doing everything right. (I can do the exact same thing on a 9700 without issue.) So it sounds like this is not a common problem; maybe it's just my phone? I'll go to the VZW store and see if the model there is any different.
    Slayer of Misinformation

Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People

This may clear up locking and unlocking with password issues

When the Lock key is pressed on BlackBerry smartphones that have earlier versions of BlackBerry Device Software, the BlackBerry smartphone is security locked. When the Lock key is pressed again, a prompt appears for the password, regardless of how long the BlackBerry smartphone was locked .

In earlier versions of the BlackBerry operating system, when you press the BlackBerry button at the top of the locking time, mobile phone security lock, When you press the locking key, no matter how long BlackBerry lock will prompted for a password to unlock.

When the Lock key is pressed on BlackBerry smartphones that have newer versions of BlackBerry Device Software 5.0.x, only the key pad of the BlackBerry smartphone is locked. When the Lock key is pressed again, the BlackBerry smartphone is unlocked. However, if the security time out was reached, the BlackBerry smartphone user is prompted to enter the password.

This is from RIM
    "Do you want to sell sugar water or do you want to change the world?"

Steve Jobs to John Sculley the then CEO of Pepsi.

CrackBerry Newbie

I've recently got a BB Curve 8520 and it has just decided to not accept the password to unlock the keyboard.
    1 I take it out of its holster
    2 press the central button and request 'unlock'
    3 type in the password as I did earlier this morning and have done for the past two weeks
    It doesn't recognise it. I'm now on the last shot of the 10 and don't want to do the last one else data will be removed. How do I unlock it?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default password not accepted

I'm having the same issue with my password not accepted. It is on my last attempt and letters are being entered instead of the usual "". Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?