Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default New Bold "Replacement" Owners

Since many of us are getting new or fru devices in the mail today, tomorrow, or wednesday in exchange for our tours, i thought this would be a great place to get us started on the bold forums

my story is this: i called in friday around 11am to get a replacement device because my 3rd trackball went out. i was sent a bold!

what did everyone receive in the mail? new retail boxes or a plain brown fru box? trackpad ok? and congratulations to all of us for finally having a device that SHOULD have originally been released a year ago.

no longer on tour!
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

New retail. Love it!!! Trackpad just a slight tilt to the right, not enough to worry about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

did you send back your old tour shell, or your tours accessories as well? im not sure if i should just send back the tour without all of the original accessories i received a year ago since i have all new ones now!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want it!

My Bold 9650 is on its way to replace a release day Tour 9630! Had enough with the flaky trackball and couldnt pass up this deal VZW is doing right now.
    Now running on a VZW Samsung Fasinate! I like it but am missing my 9650 also. 2 different animals!

Thank You VZW for my free BNIB Bold 9650! You rock! Now running OS6/BB6.. 6.0.0.222! Nice!

Download my themes - OS6ish and Redux

@mastamoon
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM for PIN

I should of bought the Tour online because it was $50 less than the Bold, then returned it and got a Bold for the same price DOHH!
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

They just want the tour back, no battery or cover, accessories.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K TACO

Mine is on the way. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. I will report back.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plkcable View Post
    They just want the tour back, no battery or cover, accessories.

What if I was shipped a full retail package? Does this mean I get a free spare battery and battery door?

Moved into Android for now, but still rocking the 9650 at times
    CrackBerry User

Was truly having trackball issues. I received plain brown FRU box on Friday. Bold is working beautifully!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

I didn't receive mine yet, but the tech on the phone was saying just return the shell of the phone itself. No battery, no mem card, no SIM, no charger and no battery cover. he did say to me that they would just send a shell of a bold without a battery, but I won't know for sure until I receive mine tomorrow.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I will be getting my bold tomorrow. It will be the first time I've ever swapped blackberries. Do I just do it through desktop manager? Do I have to switch RIM cards for any reason? I also assume everyone is doing a wipe before sending theirs back? Thanks for the help!

Mine is suppose to arrive Tues but it requires a signature and no one will be there on initial delivery unless I can duck out early

What OS are people finding on the phone? I am one of those who would like a copy of the original OS for my own archives. Anyone know where to find the earlier os versions? I've already downloaded the Sprint and Verizon ones listed in the sticky threads above. I was told bare phone will be sent but would be content with a full package (g).

Not really looking forward to having to reinstall or register a number of pay-for apps.

By the way, I have never activated a new phone - it has been done at the store by verizon. Do I just log on to verizon-my account and change the pin or some other number?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

mine was delivered and is waiting at my apartment for me! Too bad I'm at work I will get it tonight.

Tracking info said 1 lb, so I assume I am just getting the device.

Can someone walk me through the best way to switch from the tour to the bold? I have a mac and will use DM through there. How do I handle my 3rd party apps like berrybuzz that I already paid for?
    CrackBerry User

Got a 2 lb. package coming my way by Wed. 23, but as the lady said that they usually are a day early even with 2 day shipping. Can't wait!
    CrackBerry User

i just got mine, it came in the small brown box and was just the phone. I love it, it is way better then the tour.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    32233E1C

Thumbs up Love

I got mine on friday. FRU box. but it came with a battery cover. I wish i got got brand new one,
    ive never had a brand spanking new bb. but i love my bold 100%. the track pad does seem to have a slight offset, but other than that its fantastic. the internet runs great, boot up time is super quick.

for people that need to back up their 3rd party apps, i found this extremely helpful...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/
    CrackBerry User

Mine came with .699 and I upgraded right away. Mine also came with a battery cover. For what it's worth, it had a green dot on the label.
    CrackBerry User

Post Re:

So if FedEx.com shows 2 lbs it's a brand new in box model? Also what is everyone's experience in regards to the two day shipping showing up 1 day before the estimated date?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    It's that flag on the green that I try to hit my golf ball close to.

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Mine is suppose to arrive Tues but it requires a signature and no one will be there on initial delivery unless I can duck out early

What OS are people finding on the phone? I am one of those who would like a copy of the original OS for my own archives. Anyone know where to find the earlier os versions? I've already downloaded the Sprint and Verizon ones listed in the sticky threads above. I was told bare phone will be sent but would be content with a full package (g).

Not really looking forward to having to reinstall or register a number of pay-for apps.

By the way, I have never activated a new phone - it has been done at the store by verizon. Do I just log on to verizon-my account and change the pin or some other number?
    Leave a note tapped to door requesting that the driver leave the unit and accept the signature on the note as if you signed in person. Include your tracking number, name as it will be on the address label and your signature. I've done this many times for packages delivered by FedEx which required signature and it works. Otherwise, the driver will not leave the package but will leave a tag for you to sign and leave on the door for him to pickup when he attempts delivery again the next day. Thus, avoide the one day delay and leave a note on the door.
    Bob
    "The old Rambler, confined to Rehab"

Blackberry 101 tutorial on how to load and OS using apploader:
    How To Install or Upgrade your BlackBerry's Operating System
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by brandon.r View Post
    What if I was shipped a full retail package? Does this mean I get a free spare battery and battery door?
    I got the full retail package. VZW told me they only want the phone itself, no battery, no memory card, no battery cover, nothing!

Yes you get to keep the spares.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

My Bold came in FRU brown box on Friday. SIM installed, no battery, no media card, with battery cover. OS installed was .732 even though box indicated .699. Working great so far and I had no problems with transferring the data from my tour. I used a dremel on my epik cases to adjust for the USB port move and that went well.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by socalpilot View Post
    I should of bought the Tour online because it was $50 less than the Bold, then returned it and got a Bold for the same price DOHH!
    Are you a moron?

Some of us have legitimate issues (i.e. bad camera, bad headset jack, and the aforementioned trackball problems), yet you were going to buy a Tour and FABRICATE an issue?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WSkids97 View Post
    So if FedEx.com shows 2 lbs it's a brand new in box model? Also what is everyone's experience in regards to the two day shipping showing up 1 day before the estimated date?
    Verizon told me Wednesday; it turned out that I'll have it tomorrow.

FedEX held my box in Memphis until last night, and it arrived in my local destination sort facility at 5am.

If it was overnight, it would have been at dest sort over the weekend.

So my experience is "one day earlier than Verizon told me, but accurate as per FedEX"
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K TACO

Quote Originally Posted by socalpilot View Post

Not cool. You ruin it for the people that actually have issues and have to jump through hoops to get a replacement device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

Exclamation **Help** Phone Stalls, Long Boot after using Device Switch Wizard

Long story short:

I was sent a replacement Bold 9650 after my Tour reached it's EOL. It came in the mail today and booted out of the box in 1 min 30 seconds. Becoming rather excited I did a backup of my 3rd party apps and phone (SMS/messages, etc).

Instead of picking and choosing everything I then proceeded to use the Device witch wizard.

FYI the phone came with OS .732. The Tour on .643 was rock solid and did not have any issues handling my 15,000 SMS texts and 14,000 emails. My apps on this phone are:
    Google Maps
    (Did not load for some reason: Googlemail, beejive, 2 games, quickpull)

These are the issues:

- BBM: everyone needed to be manually re-added. Some added on some did not. I have 290 BBMS and 150 of them now need to be "Re:invited"
    - The phone is crawling due to what seems an amazingly high amount of data traffic
    - I hear pinging when the phone is on silent(I assume it's from the BBM adds)
    - EMail still has not come online after re sending with blackberry
    - The Speed... I do not know how to describe how slow is slow.

Thoughts:

Should I just do a new wipe, back up my info again and reload .732? How do I get the BBMS to Auto add in?
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast