CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My 9650 is running hot at times :(

I'm experiencing issues with my BlackBerry running hot. It feels warm on the lower back side. It doesn't do it all the time, but it happens more often than it should. Or perhaps it's not supposed to happen at all. My previous BlackBerry, which was a Curve, never felt hot.
    Also when it runs hot the battery drains very fast.
    Anyone else having these issues?
    If others are, then I'll deal with it. If I'm the only one, then this unit will be going back tomorrow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

Mine gets hot at times as well. It doesnt get burning hot, but a little noticeable. Usually happens if I'm doing a lot on the device like streaming music, texting, browsing web, etc or if I am on a call for a length of time.

This is just the processor working a little harder, and thats where the heat is dispersed.

On my Droid I noticed the same thing, just that was a slightly different location. I would personally say unless its ALWAYS hot, or gets abnormally hot, it should be just fine.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by drm2blv View Post
    Mine gets hot at times as well. It doesnt get burning hot, but a little noticeable. Usually happens if I'm doing a lot on the device like streaming music, texting, browsing web, etc or if I am on a call for a length of time.

This is just the processor working a little harder, and thats where the heat is dispersed.

On my Droid I noticed the same thing, just that was a slightly different location. I would personally say unless its ALWAYS hot, or gets abnormally hot, it should be just fine.
    Glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. It happens every now and then. At the moment it's no longer doing it, and everything is fine.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

Have you updated to the latest official OS (.732) ? I have not noticed any issues since updating to that one.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Have you updated to the latest official OS (.732) ? I have not noticed any issues since updating to that one.
    I updated to .732 yesterday. It's been working better until I was away from home today. I was in an area where the signal bars kept fluctuating. The unit started to get warm and the battery began to go down rather fast.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

That is the problem with CDMA, when the signal is low the device looks HARDER for the signal, causing it to work more and more battery drain.

GSM beats CDMA on this feature, definitely.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

That is the problem with CDMA, when the signal is low the device looks HARDER for the signal, causing it to work more and more battery drain.

GSM beats CDMA on this feature, definitely.
    Perhaps that explains why the Bold on AT&T gets better battery life than the one on Verizon Wireless.

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

It is possible. Depends on the area you live. I live in Central Jersey and nearly always have great signal so my battery life has been fantastic.

I also ordered the Seidio 1700mAh slim extended battery just to be on the safe side and add a little extra life to the device
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

It is possible. Depends on the area you live. I live in Central Jersey and nearly always have great signal so my battery life has been fantastic.

I also ordered the Seidio 1700mAh slim extended battery just to be on the safe side and add a little extra life to the device

Is there a substantial gain in battery life using the Seidio 1700mAh slim extended battery?

Global Posts
    7,078 Global Posts

Well the standard is 1400, so you are gaining 300mAh, or about 15% increase.

Personally that is enough of an increase for me to justify the payment of the battery. This will help make it through those busy day's and just help ensure that my device isnt dead when I need it the most.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Perhaps this should be something I should look into purchasing.

CrackBerry Abuser

I haven't experienced the heat(warmth) from my BOLD like I did with the Storm2 and my TOUR... even while running Pandora.

Global Posts
    5,352 Global Posts

the hottest my Bold got so far was 107 degrees. I'm not even the least bit worried either. My Tour did the same as well as my Storm 1 I had.... phones heat up as you use a lot of data, its normal operation, unless your running a big battery like a 2600 which will always keep your phone at 77 degrees since the battery doesn't get hot on the big battery
    Current Device: Blackberry Bold 9650

Future Device: Droid Bionic 4G!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me..

CDMA is a more advanced, more complicated and more robust coding method than the TDMA of GSM..

the difference in battery life on gsm vs cdma where all other things are equal (ie identical phones) is the extra work done by the phone in this coding/decoding.

Quote Originally Posted by cdf3 View Post
    Perhaps that explains why the Bold on AT&T gets better battery life than the one on Verizon Wireless.

CrackBerry User

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mjbesen310 View Post
    the hottest my Bold got so far was 107 degrees. I'm not even the least bit worried either. My Tour did the same as well as my Storm 1 I had.... phones heat up as you use a lot of data, its normal operation, unless your running a big battery like a 2600 which will always keep your phone at 77 degrees since the battery doesn't get hot on the big battery

mj,
    I use the 2600 and recently experienced the phone to get hot. As OP's have noted I found if I forgot to close out apps(bolt) for example this seemed to make the phone hot. At one point I even turned off the phone to cool down. After closing out the apps battery life increased and it didn't seem to run hot or as hot
    CrackBerry User

PIN

I had the Storm(2 of them) then I went to Tour(2 of them) now I have the Bold and never experienced the amount of heat in the Bold like my other BB's. All 3 BB's I always used the 2600 battery. I close my apps properly and I'm trying to figure out what is making my cell so hot. I can't figure it out. It happened with .699 and now it is happening with .732. I'm about to wipe and start all over again. I don't know what else to do @ this point.
    EastCoastStangs.com
    CrackBerry User

Mine gets pretty warm as well, but not consistently. Also doesn't seem to effect the phones performance whatsoever.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,794 Global Posts

Mine sometimes gets warm(not hot) when plugged to the usb on my laptop. On a long call it gets kind of warm also. It's just working harder.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,487 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

The unit kept running hot and the battery wouldn't hold too good of a charge either. Took it back for a replacement. The new unit doesn't run hot, and the battery is a lot better.