Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Involuntary Reboot and Battery Drained - twice the pain

Has anyone else had this problem that I've been having over the past week? It seems to happen while I'm watching a video, or using the camera, but the phone just reboots itself and when the phone comes back up the battery has been drained.

I know we've all seen reports of the rebooting problem, but I've never known the phone to drain itself of battery life. The battery is almost always over 80% charged when using it because I have a charging dock at home and at work, so I know the battery is fine prior to the reboot.

It's frustrating as you know that when the battery is drained so low it turns off the radio functionality so you cannot get emails or receive phone calls until the battery is charged back up.

Anyone else seen this happen?
    Want to speak Italian? www.LetsSpeakItalian.net
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    PIN
    ATA

Yes, I also experience camera induced involuntary reboots (13-15 minute restarts) happening with my 'Storm 2'... it happens infrequently (3-4 times monthly)... Usually happens under the most inopportune circumstance... Murphy's Law stuff. Not having the battery issue though.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ouch! don't play with pins!

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayHR View Post
    Has anyone else had this problem that I've been having over the past week? It seems to happen while I'm watching a video, or using the camera, but the phone just reboots itself and when the phone comes back up the battery has been drained.

I know we've all seen reports of the rebooting problem, but I've never known the phone to drain itself of battery life. The battery is almost always over 80% charged when using it because I have a charging dock at home and at work, so I know the battery is fine prior to the reboot.

It's frustrating as you know that when the battery is drained so low it turns off the radio functionality so you cannot get emails or receive phone calls until the battery is charged back up.

Anyone else seen this happen?
    Hmm. Sounds like a bad battery or bad battery contacts. Try cleaning your battery contacts with a pencil eraser and see if that works. Also, ensure that your battery is in good contact with the terminal by placing a shim to ensure a tight contact. If this fails, take it into the VZW store and ask a tech to test the battery. Good Luck!
    8330 -> 9630 -> 9650 -> Razr Maxx
    Thanked by:
    MurrayHR (08-29-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanked by:
    MurrayHR (08-29-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jbarbero View Post
    Hmm. Sounds like a bad battery or bad battery contacts. Try cleaning your battery contacts with a pencil eraser and see if that works. Also, ensure that your battery is in good contact with the terminal by placing a shim to ensure a tight contact. If this fails, take it into the VZW store and ask a tech to test the battery. Good Luck!
    Thanks, I'll try that. Could be the battery losing contact with the phone, but I still don't understand how the battery gets drained. I'll bet I need to replace the battery.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    PIN

If you have a bad contact, it will appear that the battery is completely drained. You may be correct in that it may be a bad battery. If it were me, I'd try to shim the battery tightly against the contacts with a piece of business card.
    Thanked by:
    MurrayHR (08-29-2011) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by jbarbero View Post
    If you have a bad contact, it will appear that the battery is completely drained. You may be correct in that it may be a bad battery. If it were me, I'd try to shim the battery tightly against the contacts with a piece of business card.
    Yeah, I wedged a piece of paper in the opposite side to make it a snugger fit. Hopefully that will correct it. Thanks!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I replaced the battery and haven't had any further issues. Thanks for everyone's help.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default blackberry bold 9780

Hi my name is Naila and my blackberry bold 9780 reboots itself and drains the battery out every night but when it reboots it doesn't drain straight after its rebooted just every night while i am a sleep
    any solutions?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,234 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Nailabi1991 View Post
    Hi my name is Naila and my blackberry bold 9780 reboots itself and drains the battery out every night but when it reboots it doesn't drain straight after its rebooted just every night while i am a sleep
    any solutions?
    Have you cleaned the battery contacts and tried the shim explained in previous posts?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

I read all the posts. Thanks. My 9650 runs fine most the time. Sometimes, like 1 in a 100 nights, the phone will start the night at 100% charge. I turn off all wifi, cell transceiver power. I do no use the phone at all. Not even for music. Radio Silence. At sunrise in the morning the battery beep complains it's without charge and shutting down the phone. Close examination of the battery contacts show nothing tarnished or amiss. Very odd.