Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume

I noticed that my Bold 9650 does not play the alerts as loud as my Tour 9630 did so i started messing around with it myself trying to find a solution. Tried the Sprint OS and tried the Verizon release but it was still lower than the Tour i had. I found a fix for it and it may work for other devices too but it requires going into the "Engineering Screen". You will need your own code to get into it. I would suggest you Google "Blackberry Engineering Screen" to get the info you need. Here are the instructions once you have access to the Engineering Screen:

1st - Go into "OS Engineering Screens"

2nd - Go into "Mediaplayer (Audio+Video)

3rd - Go into "Modify HPF_SPK Filter"

4th - Set all "Hz Gain in DB" entries to 1. You can try higher settings but Alerts may become distorted. I find setting all to 1 works best for my device.

5th - Hit Menu and Select Update Settings

Thats it. You dont have to reboot for it to take effect. I included the screen shots if you need to see how it looks. This method does work on my 9650
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume-capture14_17_13.jpg   Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume-capture14_17_19.jpg   Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume-capture14_17_24.jpg   Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume-capture13_24_54.jpg   Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume-capture14_17_28.jpg  

Fix for low/soft Ringtones and Alerts Volume-capture14_17_33.jpg  
    Last edited by OSx86; 06-28-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask if you want it!

Nice find... but will wait to hear some others success stories before messing.. Had to spend a minute to find a code generator also.. never heard of such a thing.
    Now running on a VZW Samsung Fasinate! I like it but am missing my 9650 also. 2 different animals!

Thank You VZW for my free BNIB Bold 9650! You rock! Now running OS6/BB6.. 6.0.0.222! Nice!

Download my themes - OS6ish and Redux

@mastamoon
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,159 Global Posts

where did you go to get your code?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Do a search on Google for "Blackberry Engineering Screen Code Generator". Tons of sites has it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OSx86 View Post
    I noticed that my Bold 9650 does not play the alerts as loud as my Tour 9630 did so i started messing around with it myself trying to find a solution. Tried the Sprint OS and tried the Verizon release but it was still lower than the Tour i had. I found a fix for it and it may work for other devices too but it requires going into the "Engineering Screen". You will need your own code to get into it. I would suggest you Google "Blackberry Engineering Screen" to get the info you need. Here are the instructions once you have access to the Engineering Screen:

1st - Go into "OS Engineering Screens"

2nd - Go into "Mediaplayer (Audio+Video)

3rd - Go into "Modify HPF_SPK Filter"

4th - Set all "Hz Gain in DB" entries to 1. You can try higher settings but Alerts may become distorted. I find setting all to 1 works best for my device.

5th - Hit Menu and Select Update Settings

Thats it. You dont have to reboot for it to take effect. I included the screen shots if you need to see how it looks. This method does work on my 9650
    Id honestly like to see a comparison of that the the same screen in the Tour. I have a feeling that there is a master volume, maybe that's it, buried in the phone somewhere that's simply set lower than the Tours for some reason.
    Last edited by loki993; 06-28-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Im curious to see how the default settings on a tour compare to the default settings on a bold. Does anyone with a tour wanna look and see how the screenshot of the defaults above from the OPs bold compare?

I'd like to do this but I'm wondering if the settings on the tour are actually higher than the bold.....

Edit: loki993 beat me to it!
    Slayer of Misinformation

Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People

Done and Done......
    "Do you want to sell sugar water or do you want to change the world?"

Steve Jobs to John Sculley the then CEO of Pepsi.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Yea I never looked when I had the Tour because it was loud enough for me. I don't have it anymore to check what the values were. I did post a screen shot of what my Bold looked like before I changed it to all ones

CrackBerry Master

Increasing the profile from -12 to +1 is a huge jump. I'd be hesitant to go above 'zero'. The 60Hz and the 170Hz are the 'ultra low' frequencies. Those are the frequencies that will definitely cause distortion, if not speaker damage. I'd probably set all the others at zero and leave the first two alone.
    Respect must be earned before it's merited.
    Treat others like you envision yourself being treated.
    Never argue with an imbecile ...it's impossible to win, as well as it's impossible for bystanders to identify who's the true imbecile.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is anyone trying this? I would be very happy if this worked and I could increase the volume so it's close to my old curve 8330. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,207 Global Posts

Seems like it would be easier to create mp3 files and just increase the gain.
    Slayer of Misinformation

Global Posts
    5,378 Global Posts
    PIN
    Smartphones are for Smart People

Did it and it works increased volume enough for me. Turned my profile back to normal and can hear ringtones with both windows open on the road.
    "Do you want to sell sugar water or do you want to change the world?"

Steve Jobs to John Sculley the then CEO of Pepsi.

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by spaciorek View Post
    Did it and it works increased volume enough for me. Turned my profile back to normal and can hear ringtones with both windows open on the road.

Can you pm me where you found it? the sites I found look sketchy.
    CrackBerry Master

Just did it! The default settings are both the same for the Tour and Bold. I only increased each value by 6 points. Prior to the adjustment, my Bold needed to be set 2 clicks higher than the Tour for equal volume. Now, with the new settings, the Bold is just a smidgen louder than the Tour.

Great find! Thanks!
    Never argue with an imbecile ...it's impossible to win, as well as it's impossible for bystanders to identify who's the true imbecile.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I did complain about this to verizon when they asked how I liked the new Bold. Its the only but huge complaint I have. Maybe RIM should fix this with a update?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegE View Post
    Just did it! The default settings are both the same for the Tour and Bold. I only increased each value by 6 points. Prior to the adjustment, my Bold needed to be set 2 clicks higher than the Tour for equal volume. Now, with the new settings, the Bold is just a smidgen louder than the Tour.

Great find! Thanks!
    so you're saying you took the 600Hz setting from -3 up to 3 and the 1Khz and the 3Khz settings up to 6? I'm kinda hesitant on taking them all up 6 values when the OP said don't go above 1, but I guess that way they would be equaled out.....
    CrackBerry Master

Yeah, I was hesitant at first until I considered my stereo equalizer. I set the values to -6, -6, 0, 3, 6, 6, 0, and 0 respectively. That's 6 points across the board. The only thing I've noticed is that on volume 10, there's a slight bit of distortion on certain ringtones. I figure if I can't hear the phone at the point at which a ringtone begins to distort, I don't need to be talking on the phone anyway. I simply set my 'loud' volume to 9 instead of 10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    PIN
    Who Needs One

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Seems like it would be easier to create mp3 files and just increase the gain.
    This is what I've done as an interim solution. I used "audacity" to amplify my ring tones. Is it a safe assumption that this also increases the volume for everything? Playing MP3's and phone speaker volume?
    NightThumper
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,207 Global Posts

Just as a side note, try using MP3Gain. It's easier and you can add an entire folder and batch-process them easily.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Thank you OSx86, and you too RegE. Worked great.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

thanks very much worked great.. sprint bold .699 is there any way to get the incall volume tweak like that.....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

Yeah, I was hesitant at first until I considered my stereo equalizer. I set the values to -6, -6, 0, 3, 6, 6, 0, and 0 respectively. That's 6 points across the board. The only thing I've noticed is that on volume 10, there's a slight bit of distortion on certain ringtones. I figure if I can't hear the phone at the point at which a ringtone begins to distort, I don't need to be talking on the phone anyway. I simply set my 'loud' volume to 9 instead of 10.
    I think ill try it out but I'm gonna try going 3 across the board. If 2 is equal to the tour then 3 will be pefect. I don't need mine much louder than what my tour was. I guess I could experiment with different values and try it out

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by sabbotage View Post
    ...I'm gonna try going 3 across the board. If 2 is equal to the tour then 3 will be pefect. I don't need mine much louder than what my tour was.
    Let me clarify: When I said the Tour was 2 clicks louder, I was referring to the volume as set in the media player. If the Tour was on 1 bar, the Bold had to be set on 3 bars. View the settings in the HPF_SPK Filter like you would alter the frequencies of your stereo with an EQ.

The settings that I finally settled on, are for all intent and purposes the same as the Tour. Maybe I could afford to back-down my 60Hz and 170Hz 2-3 clicks - that would probably eliminate the slight distortion I experience on 10.

Anyway, you have minimally 1 day of key duration. That's plenty of time to experiment and play around.

Good Luck!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Let me clarify: When I said the Tour was 2 clicks louder, I was referring to the volume as set in the media player. If the Tour was on 1 bar, the Bold had to be set on 3 bars. View the settings in the HPF_SPK Filter like you would alter the frequencies of your stereo with an EQ.

The settings that I finally settled on, are for all intent and purposes the same as the Tour. Maybe I could afford to back-down my 60Hz and 170Hz 2-3 clicks - that would probably eliminate the slight distortion I experience on 10.

Anyway, you have minimally 1 day of key duration. That's plenty of time to experiment and play around.

Good Luck!
    Another good idea, but that would relate to the particular audio one is listening to. The settings you gave work pretty good across the board. I'm satisfied, and tried a couple. Thanks again.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

the settings dont stick with an soft reset or a battery pull anybody else experience this
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast