CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Can't get BlackBerry Maps to show up on Bold 9650

Apologies in advance for the long message but I wanted to include all the information about this issue.

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9650 with OS 6.0 Bundle 3084 (6.0.0.719) installed. It was originally a Verizon USA phone but it was unlocked before I bought it and I am now using it on T-Mobile USA for calling and texting. I don't have a data plan and I don't want one (I really don't need data over the cellular connection, I can just use WiFi when I want to do something that requires Internet). I use a Macintosh computer to run BlackBerry Desktop Software for updating and backups.

I have everything working fine except for BlackBerry Maps. The Maps icon does not appear on the screen at all, but when I connect the device to my Mac and run the BlackBerry Desktop Software, it lists BlackBerry Maps as one of the installed applications. I read that Maps comes pre-installed but that the settings cause it to be hidden unless I have a data plan from my provider (and as I stated before, I don't want a data plan).

I found some messages on boards like this which said that I could un-hide Maps by removing it and then re-installing it. I tried to do this (once by deleting it directly on the phone and again later by removing it using BlackBerry Desktop Software) and it was a disaster (both times). Once I had removed it, I tried to re-install it using the BlackBerry Desktop Software and I got the following error message:

> BlackBerry® Desktop Software failed to validate
    > your BlackBerry® device update.
    >
    > Validation failed because a module marked for add
    > (net_rim_bb_maps_resource__pt_BR) is not
    > available on local disk

After this, I had to re-install the entire BlackBerry OS (a huge hassle) in order to get the Maps application to show as being installed again, and it is still hidden on the phone's screen.

I also tried using the Browser to download BlackBerry Maps 6.1 directly to the phone by going to www.blackberry.com/send/maps and following the links. The process completed the Maps Installer download, but then I got this error message:

> Uncaught exception:
    > java.lang.IllegalArgument
    > Exception

The page I was viewing at this point indicated that the installation was complete, but the Maps icon still doesn't appear. When I tried this install process again, I don't get the error and instead the phone tells me to reboot in order to complete the installation. After rebooting, however, I still can't see the Maps icon and the BlackBerry Desktop Software shows that I have BlackBerry Maps Installer 6.1 on my phone, but it also shows that I have an older version of BlackBerry Maps Installed (6.0.0.32).

I've searched but I can't find a location to download the Maps Installer 6.1 (or any older versions of Maps) to my computer and I can't find it while exploring files on the phone so that I can run it directly on the device.

Can anyone offer any help or advice? I just want to get Maps running so I can use it for GPS and navigation.
    CrackBerry Genius

Well, without a data plan, how in the world do you expect to download the map?
    If you are on a non-supported BB plan, i don't think they block it, u just have to find it
    You can either open it through the compass app (which may be OS 7 exclusive)
    OR
    Just search some random junk, and it will show up search in Blackberry Maps
    and you should be able to open it
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

You need a BLACKBERRY Data Plan to use BlackBerry data features such as BlackBerry Maps (even over WiFi).

Not sure how you would "use it for GPS and navigation" without a data plan even if you could install it. You won't get very far navigating on WiFi.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I've read that BlackBerry Maps will run and load map data over WiFi once I get it running. If that's the case, I could pre-load the map data I need before I leave a location where I have a WiFi connection. This is how I always did it with Nokia Maps on my old phone. After that, the navigation worked great even without a data plan.

@masterscarhead1: I don't have an app called "Compass" on my phone. I don't even know what that is, but as I wrote before, I am running BlackBerry Device Software 6.0, not 7. I have tried searching for the word "Maps" but I get no results for files of folders on the phone. I am not sure what you are suggesting when you say to "search some random junk" but I have looked in every single folder that I can see on the device and I don't see the maps app anywhere. Most of the installed apps are not visible when browsing with the "Files" app. I even set the "Files" app to "Show Hidden" so that I can see hidden files and folders but I still didn't find Maps.You also suggested that I "search in Blackberry Maps" but I can't find a folder by that name. If you meant that I should search _for_ "Blackberry Maps", I did try that and again, no luck. If the solution was so simple, I probably would have solved the problem already.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

Even if you could "get it running", you cannot "pre-load the map data" on BlackBerry Maps. It doesn't work that way. The map data is downloaded as you go. It's not stored on the unit.

You might look into TrekBuddy. TrekBuddy - J2ME application for offline GPS tracking
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Are you sure about that? How do you know this?

I ask because I read some other posts about the Maps app and other people said they were using it and it was working without a data plan so that wouldn't make any sense if it couldn't load data over WiFi and if the data wasn't stored on the device. Also, I think it wouldn't make sense for the app not to cache map data because that would cause you to download the same data again if you mapped a location more than once.

The other posters sounded as confident as you do about their ability to use Maps over WiFi. They indicated that the app would default to prefer WiFi over the cell network when a WiFi connection was available in order to save on limited data plans and also use WiFi when there was no data plan. Many apps work this way, including the Nokia Maps app. You can also store country/US state maps so that when you travel somewhere, the local map could already be present on the device. I did this many times on my Nokia phone. I would load individual maps over WiFi (or from my Mac via USB) when I was at home. They would still be stored and accessible when I viewed them when I was away from home.

I'll check out TrekBuddy and I appreciate your suggestions.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

It sounds like you would be much better served to go back to your Nokia phone.

Good luck.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    It sounds like you would be much better served to go back to your Nokia phone.

Good luck.
    No way. My old phone was crap in many ways and my BlackBerry is FAR superior. Symbian OS is a joke and app availability is sadly lacking. But the mapping app is the only thing that I haven't been able to get running on the BlackBerry and so I still keep my Nokia just to use it for navigation when I need that function.

I looked into TrekBuddy. The device compatibility list does not include the 9600 series BlackBerry devices. I might try to install it anyway and see if it works. If it does run, it would certainly be better than my hidden BlackBerry Maps which I can't see or open.

I'm not sure if you realize this but you did not answer my questions about how you knew what you claimed and if you were sure about it. Maybe I need to contact those other folks who posted that they were able to un-hide BlackBerry Maps on their devices. It sounds like you've never even tried to do it yet you still felt qualified to advise me about it. Hmmmm...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,913 Global Posts

Ok. I will answer it directly.

Yes, I am sure. That's how it works. I know first hand from trying.

But yes, if you find others saying that they have gotten it to work, then by all means, contact them and ask them how they did it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    3218B92A

Switchbeach is correct anything specific to blackberry needs a data plan to connect to BIS so BBM, BB maps and email through email app won't work you can use 3rd party apps that have wifi connectivity included through it