Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BROKEN PHONE - trying to transfer info from one phone to another

Here's my current situation:
    My BB Bold 9650 dropped which caused the screen to break (not shatter, but can't see anything). The phone is still functioning, but clearly I cannot use it. My father has the exact same phone, so I thought if I swapped the SIM card as well as the other card in the "battery area" to the phone with the working screen, I would be able to transfer all of MY information from MY old phone onto the new phone apparently I was wrong.
    Did I do something wrong? Should this have done the trick, or is there no way I can transfer my information (text messages, contacts, pictures, etc.) Please help...

Much appreciated.
    Thanked by:
    francisco gutierrez1 (01-13-2014) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,221 Global Posts

The SIM card does not contain your data. And the Media Card only contains Media (ie pictures, video, music, ringtones)

You would need to transfer the data from the old phone (if it turns on) or from a backup on your computer. Otherwise, you are likely out of luck.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you for the quick response. My old "broken" phone does turn on, but the screen is broken. Would Verizon still be able to transfer my information, or do they need to be able to navigate through my phone?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

If it is only the display that is gone, you could try backing it up using the desktop manager and later restore it to the replacement phone. For entering passwords, etc., write down the keyboard or mouse movements needed by watching the replacement phone link to the desktop manager from a known state, like boot-up, and then mimic the process on the broken phone with the correct password, if enabled.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,221 Global Posts

Yes, just use the BlackBerry Desktop Software on your computer to do a backup or use the Device Switch Wizard to transfer the data. No need to have Verizon do it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

It would be best if you create a backup using Blackberry Desktop Manager. However, if you have an existing backup, you may also use that to restore data to another Blackberry. Should you have issues with restoring the files you have the option of restoring from BBM and here is a helpful guide on how to recover BBM contacts and conversations. A backup extractor software would really be helpful if these won't work for you and you still have an IPD or BBB backup. Best!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Some phones allow file transfer between phones via Bluetooth. If that is not possible, you might be able to use MMS messaging to transfer the file depending on the file type. Finally, you could connect both phones to a computer, transfer the file to the computer and then from the computer to the other phone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,221 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeanwendy View Post
    Some phones allow file transfer between phones via Bluetooth. If that is not possible, you might be able to use MMS messaging to transfer the file depending on the file type. Finally, you could connect both phones to a computer, transfer the file to the computer and then from the computer to the other phone.
    Please read the thread. The OP has stated that the screen will not turn on. Thus, the OP will not be able to "transfer via Bluetooth" or "use MMS".
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchBeach View Post
    Please read the thread. The OP has stated that the screen will not turn on. Thus, the OP will not be able to "transfer via Bluetooth" or "use MMS".
    I know. How about connect both your phones to the computer, use the phone transfer which running on the computer. So that you can manage your broken phone via PC, then can transfer data from phone to phone.