| | 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Author #1
Bold 9650 input keys on the fritz (newbie)
First time poster here.
I have written up the problem in pretty specific detail and I hope this is helpful in the initial post and does not deter you from responding. However, for the short version, it is this: my Bold is on the fritz (key input non-response and irregular) and a battery pull does not solve it; I have not upgraded to the latest OS, and that will probably be my next move.
Now here are the gory details:
device: Blackberry Bold 9650
carrier: Verizon Wireless
Blackberry OS: 184.108.40.2065 bundle 1600 platform 220.127.116.114
3rd party apps: Google Maps; VZW Visual Voicemail; VZW Tones (never used)
Recent events/changes: none unless apps updated themselves over 3G w/o my involvement
* device is slow to acknowledge input from sleep (screen stays black until I hit 10-15 keys rapidly)
* trackpad functions are hit and miss
- trackpad push/click never functions under any circumstances
- trackpad right/left/up/down works on certain screens, not others
- trackpad function is consistently inconsistent
(inconsistent across context, but consistent over time)
(it always works on certain screens, never on others)
(on some screens, it partly works, not completely)
- trackpad scroll sometimes works with alt key depressed, otherwise not
- trackpad scroll sometimes works with shift key depressed, otherwise not
for example: on home screen, trackpad scroll works normally to move up/down/right/left. after pressing menu key to see all applications, trackpad scroll does not work to move up/down nor left/right -- unless ALT is depressed. Another example: trackpad scroll up/down works perfectly in email message list. Does not work in text message list.
* most but not all "select" actions can be accomplished with the "carriage return / enter" key on the keyboard
* keyboard alt key characters do not work (cannot type exclamation point, for example)
* right convenience key does not work
* volume-down key does not silence phone ringer
* alt-shift-del reboot does not work (no response)
* phone will not power on after being powered off (requires battery pull to turn phone back on)
* device receives and sends emails/texts/calls
Attempted fixes/diagnostics so far:
- there has been no drop and no water intrusion
- alt-shift-del does not respond
- battery pull (done at least 4 times) -- no change in device behavior
- 'test' diagnostic from options/status screen (result: diagnostic cannot function without trackpad press, which does not work. Battery pull to end test.)
- enable trackpad "audible roll" (from options/screen-keyboard menu)
result -- can "hear" the trackpad receiving input, even when there is no response on the screen. That is, there is audible clicking indicating my finger is moving across the trackpad, and the audible feedback is exactly the same during cases when the scrolling is actually working, and when it is not.
- updated my BB desktop software to latest version in advance of OS changes
- backed up my BB to desktop PC in advance of OS changes to device
To my mind, this seems to be a software not hardware problem. Why would the trackpad scroll work perfectly and consistently on certain screens if there were a hardware problem with the trackpad?
- will try to upgrade to OS 6.0 and see what happens
funny remarks from Verizon:
Verizon Store agent says, during 5 minute conversation:
"your phone is old, that is why it doesn't work"
"it is your phone itself. I can see the trackpad is a little high"
"you don't have the latest software. Of course your phone does not work because you have old software."
"it is the software"
"you are not under warranty and you don't have insurance"
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.