Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Bold 5.0 or 6.0

So I am looking to 'consolidate' phones ( I have a 9300 for work and a EnV3 for personal use, which was my wifes before her ViP4). Since it will be primarilly a work phone I think only a BB would be prudent. Came across a couple of retailers with 9650s for real cheap (which is the best of whats around for BB on Big Red)...

My question is, if I were to get one of these 9650s from ('Not the VZW Store') they come pre-installed with OS 5.0. I have read a ton of gripes about 6.0 (alot of what I would consider unwarranted ******** too), so does it make sense to do the upgrade? Is the 6.0 upgrade really eating battery life? Couldn't imagine spending $90 at the VZW store for a pre-installed 6.0 device when this one is free at a mail-away site...

Phone will be primarily for calls/emails (both personal and Enterprise)/ TXTs and some light browser/app usage, most likely FB, Pandora, and emergency Fantasy Updates...

Love to get the opinion of ppl who have run both OS's and have gone through the upgrade with before/after thoughts. Thanks
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    PIN
    sanity!

I like OS6 and will never consider going back to OS5. I get the same battery life as before by the way. Get the free (or real cheap) phone with OS5 preloaded, then load OS6 yourself and see if you like it, if not downgrade back to OS5 again.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,615 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask

OS6 is great. With OS5, its basically a tour with a trackpad.

Bold is a great phone, but why not wait for the new line of BBs if you have a working 9300

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
    OS6 is great. With OS5, its basically a tour with a trackpad.

Bold is a great phone, but why not wait for the new line of BBs if you have a working 9300

outside of hating carrying two devices, I really do not NEED to pull the trigger today.... but free for a solid BB is nice.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Go with BB6, I've been running it since mid-September when it first leaked and never looked back.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default 1 vote for OS5

Quote Originally Posted by mg3787 View Post
    Love to get the opinion of ppl who have run both OS's and have gone through the upgrade with before/after thoughts. Thanks
    I've used both and found OS6 added unnecessary clicks, swipes, and scrolls.
    CrackBerry Master

I migrated from a Tour to the Bold and have run both OS 5 & 6, including leaks on both. I use a theme on 6 to get rid of the trays. Some like them, I didn't. I do like the Universal Search, faster connection to WiFi, and the browser that many complain about is getting better. Get your great deal on the Bold and load OS6.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    13,830 Global Posts

BB6 is great and the 9650 is a great device. I've been running different BB6 leaks and officials since last October. I'm not going back.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

that upgrade to OS6 (official drop, not a leak) is readily available through BB's site, right?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,204 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

I would keep the 9330 and just load OS 6 on it..

(Honestly its faster on the 9330.)
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    I would keep the 9330 and just load OS 6 on it..

(Honestly its faster on the 9330.)
    yeah but the Curve is not "actually" mines (company issued, which means I cannot upload OS6 on it), and its on AT&T which kinda sucks too.

i find it a little small and clumsy, and I HATE HATE THATE the lock button on the top. Plus you can't get Pandora on it, and I'm shallow like that.
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

that upgrade to OS6 (official drop, not a leak) is readily available through BB's site, right?
    Verizon released 6.0.0.431 a while back and it's very stable with few bugs. You can get right thru desktop manager or download it from:

BlackBerry® Software Updates

Curve is now the entry-level device, not as refined as Bold.

Global Posts
    5,204 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

yeah but the Curve is not "actually" mines (company issued, which means I cannot upload OS6 on it), and its on AT&T which kinda sucks too.

i find it a little small and clumsy, and I HATE HATE THATE the lock button on the top. Plus you can't get Pandora on it, and I'm shallow like that.
    Oh. I thought you Misspelled the 9330.
    I don't know if the 9300 would be faster.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

At first i did not like os6. To many "pages or windows" to flip through without it being a touch screen. The web browser is 10x's better, so I found a theme I liked that made it act more like 5.0 os and now I am very happy.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Can anyone suggest any themes for 6.0 that gets rid of all of those unnecessary trays?

Global Posts
    6,060 Global Posts

Look at the theme section here on crackberry.

As for os's I hated 6 when it was first released. Then sprint dropped it. I tried it but it lagged big time so I went back to 5. I since tried Verizon's 431 and altells 438 and now I'm using the leaked 524 and I have to say this leak has changed my mind about 6 100%. I mean this os is fast and not bad battery life. I usethe seidio extended battery though so I get tremendous life on my phone. Lol

CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    I'm using the leaked 524 and I have to say this leak has changed my mind about 6 100%. I mean this os is fast and not bad battery life.
    +1 524 is a pretty good build. I still think the "benchmark" OS is 431 though.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

I like OS 6 way better. It is definitely worth upgrading to it. I know the feeling though of carrying two phones. Are you sure Pandora isn't just an IT policy?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by MisterObvious View Post
    I like OS 6 way better. It is definitely worth upgrading to it. I know the feeling though of carrying two phones. Are you sure Pandora isn't just an IT policy?
    no dice, I went to Pandora's website and they do not list the 9300 series for compatibility.