Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB Bold vs HTC Thunderbolt

Well I am a diehard BB user. I have 2 Bolds but today I looked at the HTC Thunderbolt. Well I found out just how far behind BB really is in the mobile smartphone world. There is not one thing that my Bold will do better than the Thunderbolt. It is so much faster it is almost ridiculious.I guess you can still make a call at the same speed but everything else and I mean everything else is much faster. I realize its apples and oranges but RIM is living in the business world and HTC is in both. I do suspect battery life to be horrible on the Thunderbolt. I may upgrade on of my Bolds for the Thunderbolt. I have never had a smartphone other than the BB's but I am afraid times are a changin. RIM is behind. Takes no phone expert to see it. The I phone is not close to the Bolt, I would not trade my BB for the Iphone but the HTC is much different.
    Bold 9650
    Sprint 6.0.0. 600
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's a PIN?

Still have a Tour for my BES email, but on my personal line went from a Storm 2 to a Thunderbolt. It's everything a touchscreen phone should be (save for the battery life), and it does so much more (and much faster) than my BB. So I had to buy an extra battery and may end up using it some days, at least it doesn't take six minutes to come back from a battery pull like my old Storm 2.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRMan03 View Post
    Well I am a diehard BB user. I have 2 Bolds but today I looked at the HTC Thunderbolt. Well I found out just how far behind BB really is in the mobile smartphone world. There is not one thing that my Bold will do better than the Thunderbolt. It is so much faster it is almost ridiculious.I guess you can still make a call at the same speed but everything else and I mean everything else is much faster. I realize its apples and oranges but RIM is living in the business world and HTC is in both. I do suspect battery life to be horrible on the Thunderbolt. I may upgrade on of my Bolds for the Thunderbolt. I have never had a smartphone other than the BB's but I am afraid times are a changin. RIM is behind. Takes no phone expert to see it. The I phone is not close to the Bolt, I would not trade my BB for the Iphone but the HTC is much different.
    I wouldn't rush into any of these new devices until we see more actual user reviews. The 4G network is new and all hardware providers are rushing new devices to market.

Here is a link I just read on the HTC's battery issues:
    HTC Thunderbolt battery life to get extended options | Android Community
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,387 Global Posts

Wow, thanks for the link. My laptop has better battery life.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Unconcerned about battery life. You can get batteries for little of nothing if you know where ot look.BB Batteries OEM 80.00 can be had for 10.00. If it performs I am unconcerned with battery life.
    Bold 9650
    Sprint 6.0.0. 600

Global Posts
    5,387 Global Posts

I need my cell to be a mobile device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

I got fed up with the hold backs with the TB launch, so my first Android device is now a HTC Incredible on a 1-year plan. I gave my 9650 to my Fiancee so its still around. I gotta say the 9650 is still a nice solid device but I am more than happy switching over to Android. Its just such a more rewarding experience with the Staggering amount of Apps(insane amount of free ones) and the neat handy stuff that makes the phone such a joy to use. Heck even the Crackberry Site doesn't work properly compared to the Android site, at least when you log in over there it redirects you back to where you were trying to make a post instead of taking you to your user profile page. I still appreciate the BB but wont be heading back to it from Android unless the tables are turned which would take a lot of time and work which I dont see happening. Also, I always heard people say apps, apps, apps and thought who cares I dont need them. But when you actually find programs that spark your interest and curiosity, or make life easier its a nice experience that I now understand.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

Oh and to tie my last post into the thread topic, the Incredible is basically a smaller version of the Thunderbolt, minus some things like speed and stuff but is in NO way slow in itself. It's also much cheaper when on a budget
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I use my phones for both business and pleasure. I use apps to book flights,hotels and other things on the run. I use the camera for pictures of places I am or othwr interesting things. I do not play games on the phone.I use the GPS to Navigate. I use my phone for more than calling. It is a multitasking tool. Necessary to preform my daily routine. BB is great for emails and calls but lacking in screen size to documents are hard to read. The larger screen will solve that problem. The browser has to be faster as OS6 on the Bold is slow period.I will keep one Bold but I think its time to see the other side with either HTC or Motorola. Battery life is not an issues as I will just buy as many as it takes to get thru the day.it takes 3 with the Bold so whats new on that. I do like the Bold no complaints but RIM is laging behind and the whole world knows it. I hate to admit that as I like RIM but they are corporate oriented. They need to be have corporate and personal tools.
    Bold 9650
    Sprint 6.0.0. 600
    CrackBerry Genius

i think it's unfair to compare 2 devices that is a year apart from release.
    but like i always say, try other platforms, it's all about what suits your NEEDs at the moment.
    although you mentioned about booking flights, hotels and other things on the run, with my BB Torch i can do all those with the BlackBerry Travel app.
    i think it's the quality of the app more than the sheer number of the same app.
    even for the weather app, i only need one, although i have weather channel, weather bug, BerryWeather and another weather app from Jared Co, i only use one.
    YOU also mentioned about multi tasking tool, well i'm quite satisfied with Evernote, PageOnce and the Documents to go.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

I got the Thunderbolt on launch day.

After getting sick and tired of having to charge my battery, my 4G going away to no data, then it would come back and stay on 1X until I went airplane mode and back....

Thunderbolt went back today, exchanged for a brand spankin new Bold 9650.
    That, paired with my Seidio 2600 mah extended battery, equals me as a happy camper.

It just pisses me off that the manufacturers are skimping out on batteries anymore when they release devices like the Thunderbolt.

Hate hate hate all you want, Bolt fans. But this is what works for me, and I like it.
    Thanked by 2:
    BayouBengal21 (03-19-2011),  D_March (03-19-2011) 

Quote Originally Posted by baker954 View Post

After getting sick and tired of having to charge my battery, my 4G going away to no data, then it would come back and stay on 1X until I went airplane mode and back....

That, paired with my Seidio 2600 mah extended battery, equals me as a happy camper.

It just pisses me off that the manufacturers are skimping out on batteries anymore when they release devices like the Thunderbolt.

Hate hate hate all you want, Bolt fans. But this is what works for me, and I like it.
    I was reading the specs for the Thunderbolt and was really impressed until I saw the battery. 1400 mah? Are you kidding me? For a device like that you need to ship it from the factory with a 2600 mah.
    I'm Rambling in Rehab and Be 5000
    Need help? Just ask.
    Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the Forum Help Videos & Guides sections.

Retired Superstar

Global Posts
    15,527 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baker954 View Post

I was the same way with the Droid 2. Fantastic OS and features and I was able to do everything I could do on my 9650. But had some major technical issues with the Droid 2 and after two swap outs, one was for battery life. I needed to go back and have something to depend on and use for work.

I agree the issue is that battery technology is not keeping up with devices these days.

Something has to be developed. You can't use phone technology with old technology batteries.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Default Battery

No question the battery is too small. But so is the BB. I carry 3 for a full day on the plane and back home. So batteries are not an issure with me.You pay in power for what you get in speed. Just loving the more and more reviews.Knowledge is power.
    Bold 9650
    Sprint 6.0.0. 600
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,825 Global Posts

No question the battery is too small. But so is the BB. I carry 3 for a full day on the plane and back home. So batteries are not an issure with me.You pay in power for what you get in speed. Just loving the more and more reviews.Knowledge is power.
    3 batteries for the berry your jokin right??
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

No I am not. I use it nonstop for hours at a time while traveling. Full battery last about 7-8 hours. On a 24 hour trip time 3.
    Bold 9650
    Sprint 6.0.0. 600

Global Posts
    5,387 Global Posts

No I am not. I use it nonstop for hours at a time while traveling. Full battery last about 7-8 hours. On a 24 hour trip time 3.
    If that is your situation, I would get ready to buy 8 or 9 thunderbolt batteries for swapping. You might want to invest in a special battery pack to carry them.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default My new (temporarily?) Thunderbolt

I picked up a new Thunderbolt at the Verizon store on Thursday (launch day) using my last NE2 and it replaces my Bold (OS 6)

Pros-

1. It is VERY fast. No lag at all. And, the 4G speed for web browsing is simply astounding.

2. Beautiful Screen - great for web browsing, reading email attachments, viewing videos, and photos, etc. Web browser blows away the Bold.

3. App selection and functionality.

4. While on 4G (Baltimore area), you can email or surf web while speaking on phone

5. Data plan is $30 a month vs $45 for BES, plus 4G hotspot is free until May 15th (then $20 a month)

Cons -

1. Battery life is, as reported, awful. I just can't imagine how HTC released a phone with such an underpowered battery.

2. Email is not nearly as fast and easy as Blackberry. I send and receive a couple hundred email each work day, and there is no way I can keep up on any Droid. Although, to be fair, after 10+ years of using a BB, there is bound to be a learning curve, especially when betting use to a touch screen keyboard (so far, I do NOT like it)

3. Weight and size - this thing is a brick

4. Screen is washed out in bright sunlight

5. Screen shuts down after a minutes (user adjustable) to save battery life. So every time you pick it up, you have to press the standby button to bring the screen up, then swipe the screen to unlock it, etc.

6. Lack of keyboard short cuts.

Bottom line - BB seems far superior for email and work - but Thunderbolt is an incredible device for web and media, etc. In a perfect world, I would carry BB all the time and keep TB in briefcase for web, etc.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,846 Global Posts

I think it is often the OS that determines battery life. I know that when I had my Droid Eris when I used the stock OS I noticed the battery would only last half a day. When I rooted and put another OS on it would last almost two days if I did it right. Also, I had a Tour and I get worse life than I do with my Bold on OS 6.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I feel the same way, I came back to BB from a droid incredible after only a month. I had a charger at home and one at work. If I used those great apps they just killed the battery. Im also able to type and text on my BB a lot faster then I ever will on a touch screen. To each his own but BB works for me.

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts

yeah i like the screen size of the new touchscreen devices but i cant give up my keyboard shortcuts and my actual keyboard on my bold.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eve6er69 View Post
    yeah i like the screen size of the new touchscreen devices but i cant give up my keyboard shortcuts and my actual keyboard on my bold.
    I feel the same way. I don't think I want to give up my actual keyboard. If the Bold Touch's browser speed and overall speed is comparable to the iphone or android I will stay with BB......if not the iphone is looking pretty tempting!! But hearing about the Thunderbolt's battery life I think I will stay away from that one.

Global Posts
    6,086 Global Posts

haha yeah i know. that battery life sux! from what i hear.
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Master

HTC devices have always been battery hogs. The TB might be the worst of the lot and I understand HTC had to delay release and figure out how to get more than two hours of battery life. This device will have a short shelf life as other 4G products hit the market.

CrackBerry User

Honestly, I was considering leaving BB for Andriod, but after reading this forum. I don't think I will. I don't use my BB for any business work, but I am still satisfied with the performance. It was also mentioned numerous times about terrible battery life. Even though my Bold is mainly my MP3 player and telephone, I usually charge 2x a day. With the TB, I suspect that would be like 4x a day. That's a lot of time plugged into the wall. Then, the large size was a turn off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast