CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BB 9650 V5 vs V6 OS

Hello All,
    I just ordered the 9650 and it is coming with OS5.
    I have been reading about OS6, is it worth it for me to upgrade the phone to OS 6? or should I just leave it OS5?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Here are some threads that might help.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/ac...9650-a-589012/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/

It is a better OS IMO. If you don't like it you can always go back to OS5.
    I'm Rambling in Rehab and Be 5000
    Need help? Just ask.
    Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the Forum Help Videos & Guides sections.

Global Posts
    51,486 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

OS6 is better but you may want to read some of the info that Middbrew gave you. There are inconsistencies as well.

The browser on OS5 is better IMHO because you can use column view.

But OS6 in general has many improvements like universal search and an improved media player.

You can always go back if you don't like OS6 but once you try it, you will probably not want to go back.
    I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947 on VZW-HTTR forever
    Need Sideloading Help? http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ur-z10-821005/
    Need help using the CB10 App? http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...10-app-872463/
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts

BB6 is better IMO, since you're coming from an 8530 one of the biggest differences will be the browser. BB6 doesn't have a column view. I don't have a problem with browser but some do. It might take a little while to get used to it. Once you try BB6 for a few days you'll probably not want to go back to OS5. My son just got a replacement 9650 this week that came with BB6 installed. Good luck.
    Last edited by princebb; 03-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

IMO - OS6 is much better then OS5 except for the browser.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

What do you mean the browser? What is the difference?
    Why is it worse?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bojowaggie View Post
    What do you mean the browser? What is the difference?
    Why is it worse?
    It's not very fast, lacks column view, the fonts are tiny, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,694 Global Posts
    PIN
    sanity!

OS6 browser is much better, old column view in OS5 only better for crackberry forums, but if this the only place you spend your time online, then stick with OS5.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    PIN
    ch Me!

Default Browser and Calendar

Agreed that the browser isn't as good. What's even bigger to me is that the calendar is bulkier and not as friendly. I miss the day view in v5 and almost went back just because of that.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts

I think the OS6 browser is better than OS5, except for no column view on the CB forum. All the other sites that I've been on are fine. I really like the tabbed browsing as well.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    900 Global Posts

Give some thought to whether you're someone who generally like bells and whistles and snazzy features or do you typically prefer more basic features but which you use often and that do the job fine.

For example, when buying a car I never have much ineterst in all the upgrade options that are available -- I typically just want a reliable motor, nice stereo and AC that works well; for me all that other stuff is sort of just fluff. So when I switched to 6 it became apparent to me (and FOR me) that 6 seemed more designed for a touch screen swiping phone and it offered some neat new conveniences and UI details but not ones that improved the core BB features that I use most often. So I'm switching back to 5 since it's functionally better for me personally.

As others have posted, if you peruse the OS6 threads you'll see a variety of posts that address this same question -- ultimately it'll be up to you and some experimentation. Maybe you could also possibly find a display with 6 at a cell store so you could mess with 6 for a few minutes as a test.

CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Well, the good thing is, when I get the phone, and I put 6 on it I can always downgrade..
    I guess it is worth a shot to try it, I have watched a couple youtube videos I think ill give it a try.
    I don't use the browser much at all because I think even on V5 it sux.. the browser is slow.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    9,972 Global Posts
    PIN
    k is my fave!

Bojo, when you load OS6 and you decide to try out the browser, there is a post here in this thread by "cbreze" (i think post#19) on how to use the magnifying glass option for the browser while on CB for easier viewing. I tried it, but because I became so acustomed to zooming in/out it was hard for me to adjust to, but it may work out for you

COLUMN VIEW ON OS6
    *life is just a beach, I'm just playin' in the sand....you know you at the top when only Heaven's right above it*
    iHeart my 4S
    8330>8530>9550>9650....and now iP4S
    CrackBerry User

Default Bojo-->

from one newbie to another- here is my experience with v6...I went back to 5 after a week or so....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/ne...estion-586481/

Geo
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,978 Global Posts
    PIN
    --- Inconceivable!!!

I tried OS6 and did not like it...mostly due to the lack of column view in the browser. But for me, and what I need my berry to do, OS5...975 works just ducky.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts

I almost went back to 5. However, I find Universal Search and the tabbed browsing to be benefits that out weigh the lack of column view.

As far as speed I haven't been able to tell a difference between 5 and 6. Unless I have several tabbs open at once. If I get more than 3 open then the browser seems to lag a little.

A resent leak for the 9780 (I think) has been reported to have column view included. I hope there is a 9650 version headed our way soon. Then everything would be about as close to perfect as possible. My opinion of course.

CrackBerry User

I have no issues with os6, in fact I prefer it. Yes the browser could be more difficult for the reasons listed above but the software is still way better. I like the flow of the phone and the amazing features it has.

I don't regret the upgrade.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Rolling back to OS 5 right now. Battery life with OS 6 is not very good and today everything just started to lock up on a consistent basis, even got th 502 error at one point. I use my device for work and I can't trust OS 6 at all. I'd stay with OS 5 until maybe another version of OS 6 is released.

This is all after I've been running OS 6 from the day it was released. I'm just finally giving up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz627 View Post
    Rolling back to OS 5 right now. Battery life with OS 6 is not very good and today everything just started to lock up on a consistent basis, even got th 502 error at one point. I use my device for work and I can't trust OS 6 at all. I'd stay with OS 5 until maybe another version of OS 6 is released.

This is all after I've been running OS 6 from the day it was released. I'm just finally giving up on it.
    I'm assuming you are using the VZW released 431 and this is giving you issues. If you loaded this OTA, this might be part of the problem. Sometimes when installing this way not all the files are loaded correctly. You might also try loaded Alltel's 436 as some people have reported this version to be more stable. You could also try one of the hybrid OSs. If you do go the hybrid route you need to be aware that it might take a few days to a week for it to settle in and give you good memory and battery life.

If this doesn't appeal to you there is nothing wrong with going back to OS5.
    I'm Rambling in Rehab and Be 5000
    Need help? Just ask.
    Want to know how to do stuff here on the forums? Try the Forum Help Videos & Guides sections.

CrackBerry Abuser

I prefer OS 6. As far as the web browser goes, I have Opera and Dolphin loaded as well. Scrolling around in Opera is touchy. Dolphin is ugly. I keep gravitating back to the BB Browser. I realize the platform isn't the best for web browsing, and I can live with that (waiting for the playbook!). But for email, messaging, and work stuff the BB can't be beat.

By the way, I had to do two upgrades of my Bold 9650 to get up to OS6. If, after your OTA upgrade you're still on OS5, upgrade again. To me, even with that long process (and it was long!) OS6 is worth it and I wouldn't go back.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    56,010 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heateris View Post
    It's not very fast, lacks column view, the fonts are tiny, etc.

So the new browser isn't any faster or better. Guess all the hype about webkit was nothing then or RIM doesn't know what they are doing with it.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,899 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

Quote Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post
    So the new browser isn't any faster or better. Guess all the hype about webkit was nothing then or RIM doesn't know what they are doing with it.
    I think it's somewhat better, despite the lack of column view. I don't think ti will get any faster until it's loaded on a device with more horsepower though.
    Another Ramblin' Rehab Reject! http://bit.ly/dXrNpz

Global Posts
    51,486 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me...always like new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by dairyberry View Post
    I almost went back to 5. However, I find Universal Search and the tabbed browsing to be benefits that out weigh the lack of column view.

As far as speed I haven't been able to tell a difference between 5 and 6. Unless I have several tabbs open at once. If I get more than 3 open then the browser seems to lag a little.

A resent leak for the 9780 (I think) has been reported to have column view included. I hope there is a 9650 version headed our way soon. Then everything would be about as close to perfect as possible. My opinion of course.

I'm using the 6.0..0.431 official and I have found column view. I mean, never before did my words wrap properly but with this official one they do...in the browser I mean. So I have no problem with tiny fonts and scrolling and zooming. Finally.
    I'll Always Be Ramblin' in Rehab: Where the real Bold addicts are!
    Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.2947 on VZW-HTTR forever
    Need Sideloading Help? http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ur-z10-821005/
    Need help using the CB10 App? http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-h...10-app-872463/
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee5799 View Post
    I'm using the 6.0..0.431 official and I have found column view. I mean, never before did my words wrap properly but with this official one they do...in the browser I mean. So I have no problem with tiny fonts and scrolling and zooming. Finally.
    I'm using the .524 leak and word wrap works nearly perfectly here too. Also have found that I can have more tabs open without lag. I think I've had 5 open at a time and the browser was just as fast as with one.

On a side note I found the Crackberry app in the app store that allows me to search Crackberry Forums and blogs from the universal search.

OS6 just keeps getting better with every release/leak. I'm even starting to second guess my plan to upgrade to a new 6.1 phone this year. I guess it depends a lot on the price tag. I'm happy enough with 6 on my 9650 right now that it wouldn't bother me to wait a while. (My plans are subject to change without notice)