Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Battery Life

I have a Verizon BB Bold 9650. I never had any problems with battery life until I installed the latest Version, 6.0.0.431. Now my battery goes from 100% to 0% in about 6 hrs. I am not a heavy user, I rarely use the browser, I disabled wifi and always close an app when I am done using it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Arnie
    Last edited by vrod; 02-22-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by vrod View Post
    I have a Verizon BB Bold 9650. I never had any problems with battery life until I installed the latest Version, 6.0.0.431. Now my battery goes from 100% to 0% in about 6 hrs. I am not a heavy user, I rarely use the browser, I disabled wifi and always close an app when I am done using it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Rod
    My battery life was very poor too, I bought a different battery and it was much better.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3VR View Post
    My battery life was very poor too, I bought a different battery and it was much better.
    MK - which battery did you buy? I need to get a new/extended one as my battery life is terrible!
    CrackBerry User

I went and bought this one. Made the phone a bit bulkier but battery life was great.

http://shop.crackberry.com/seidio-in.../8A37A5888.htm

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Your carrier will test your battery for you for free, and replace it within the first year (I think) if it's defective.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Your carrier will test your battery for you for free, and replace it within the first year (I think) if it's defective.

Pretty sure this is true
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    16,352 Global Posts

My battery life on 431 is fine. Go into manage connections> mobile network options> network technology, If that is set to global, change to 1XEV.
    pr1nce
    iMore Ambassador and Moderator
    Thanked by 2:
    Cynic (02-24-2011),  lcw731 (02-24-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

I'm going to try this. Mine was set to global. When I changed it to 1XEV, it didn't give me an option to "save". Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by princebb View Post
    My battery life on 431 is fine. Go into manage connections> mobile network options> network technology, If that is set to global, change to 1XEV.

Global Posts
    36,515 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

Check the radio signal on 431. It could be that platform doesn't work well for you, or coincidence, and your carrier has been having a tower issue.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Zee - Cue Warrior ..``..``..``..``.. Born to  ..``..``..``..``.. BBOS Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by princebb View Post
    I just came to the forum to check on this exact battery life thing. The weird thing for me is that right after upgrading to os6 it seemed fine, but that last few days? Terrible. Had to charge twice today because it got down to like 20% when I was barely doing anything. I did check and the network technology was set to global, so I changed that, thanks for the suggestion. We'll see if that makes a difference. I was also going to go to the Verizon store, they do test and replace batteries (had that done before as well). I just don't understand how just a few days ago, even with os6, the battery seemed fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Tried the shutting off the global I hope that helps with my battery life!
    Please come visit my Etsy shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/darkmuse
    Please like me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/OceanMuseDesigns
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

My suggestion is to use wifi as much as you can. The wifi radio uses less power than the CDMA radio does, so if its connected to BIS using wifi you save battery. This makes a dramatic difference in my battery life. Any time I notice my berry is sucking battery I check and, yup, I've turned off wifi because of the browser bug and forgot to turn it back on.

CrackBerry Abuser

I don't understand the wi-fi use much. If I enable wi-fi will it choose the best way to connect? Is it true that all I would have to do is check wi-fi?
    Sprint
    Bold 9930
    Major Blackberry Fan
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

Well there is one more step. Each place you go and spend large amounts of time at, search for and add the wifi network to your blackberry wifi profiles. After it connects it will very quickly change the BIS connection grom 3G to wifi, and will do so each time you are within range of that wifi and have wifi enabled on your blackberry.

CrackBerry Abuser

OK. So one last (maybe) stupid question. I turn on wi-fi and it searches automatically?
    Sprint
    Bold 9930
    Major Blackberry Fan
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

It will once you add those wifi hotspots to your wifi profiles.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

This didn't work for me. I get better battery life by leaving wifi off.

Quote Originally Posted by skyboxer View Post
    My suggestion is to use wifi as much as you can. The wifi radio uses less power than the CDMA radio does, so if its connected to BIS using wifi you save battery. This makes a dramatic difference in my battery life. Any time I notice my berry is sucking battery I check and, yup, I've turned off wifi because of the browser bug and forgot to turn it back on.

Global Posts
    36,515 Global Posts
    PIN
    pin:tang

The battery life based on connection style is all relative. 2G will help more if you are in a weak or non-3G area. 3G life will be about equal if the signal is strong. WiFi will only help if your signal is weak on both. Otherwise WiFi always uses more power.
    WAPers do it With A Passion

Zee - Cue Warrior ..``..``..``..``.. Born to  ..``..``..``..``.. BBOS Upgrade Guide

BB10 - If you don't, kittens will die .................................................. ......................................Kevin - "I call you the PITA I love"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Where I live, my battery lasts about a day. When I go back home to PA and visit my family, my battery lasts almost 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadWulf View Post
    The battery life based on connection style is all relative. 2G will help more if you are in a weak or non-3G area. 3G life will be about equal if the signal is strong. WiFi will only help if your signal is weak on both. Otherwise WiFi always uses more power.
    CrackBerry Genius

Hate to suggest smart-wifi app, since it has been associated with camera and rebooting issues. That bug has not happened to me since switching to 6.0 and I am not totally convinced the app was the sole source of the problem, but in any event, 6.0 seems to have fixed whatever the issue was. The app is pretty good and might help too.
    CrackBerry User

I am on wifi almost all of the time. I find that the battery is significantly worse when not on wifi. When I'm on 3G, it drains very quickly, within a few hours if I'm using it (like don't leave on auto-refresh on espn.com when tracking a game, or you'll be dead!). What has been happening with me this past week is worse than usual. It's 11am and I'm down at 75%, and that's unplugged for 2 hours and I have used it for about 10 minutes total. It's been totally erratic and strange. I also think one of my apps or something has a big memory leak (likely yahoo messenger). I regain about 30 MB+ after pulling the battery. Something just isn't right...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    PIN
    sanity!

I have the free WiFi Manager app now, but have always left wifi turned on except when traveling and notice very little or no difference in battery life either way. I also leave GPS turned on and leave my phone set to Global with no real effect on my battery life and easily go a full day without a charge, but I put my phone in its charging pod on my nightstand every night regardless. Battery life varies widely depending upon signal strength, apps, themes, usage, especially talk time use and no two people, phones, signals, apps, usage or batteries are going to be the same. YMMV
    CrackBerry User

Arnie
    I noticed that since my update to os6 as well my battery life hasn't been what it was but I also know I use more apps and browser since the os6 because I'm enjoying it so much and also using my phone a lot more these last few weeks.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    375 Global Posts
    PIN
    I no longer give my pin out... Too many stalkers

Arnie
    Mine is horrible also. I charge mine almost every night and as soon as I leave it off for about 2 hours its already at 50%, and when I really need to use my phone the battery is either dead or about to die. I'm not stressing anymore because I'm getting a new phone soon anyway .
    Blackberry Bold 9650 8/21/2010 - 3/12/2011
    Verizon iPhone 4 16GB 3/12/2011-12/15/2012
    Verizon iPhone 5 16GB 12/15/2012-2/15/2014
    VZW Samsung Galaxy S3 2/15/2014-
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

I had horrible battery life in the beginning of upgrading to OS6 but now things seem to have calmed down, I get a full day with some juice to spare with heavy use. I changed the update of my RSS, Facebook, Twitter, to two hours, leave wifi off, but these were my old OS5 settings anyway. I can't explain why it happened but things just seemed to calm down after a while, so maybe it just takes a while for whatever reason.

So yeah, I realize this post isn't very helpful since I told you to just be patient. I just turned into my father....oh lord...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast