Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone thinking of switching to AT&T for 9700 instead of waiting for Essex?

Hi all.
    I've been with VZW for many years.
    I stopped in the AT&T store to check out the 9700 and really liked it.
    Has anyone made the switch or thinking about it?
    - Dave
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,114 Global Posts

Nope. I'm with sprint and for where I live att would be a downgrade in service.
    As long as your patient you will see the essex in a short amount of time.

I have a friend on my twitter who's dad just got one and it already has a dead pixle?

It is a sweet phone but gsm and I never got along, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Been really tempted: YES

Just saw the 69.99 offer and I'm really beeing patient for the Essex.
    The only thing that makes me think is that I received on early 2 yr upgrade for a smartphone. Valid unitl Jan 2010.

We will see.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dloreski View Post
    Hi all.
    I've been with VZW for many years.
    I stopped in the AT&T store to check out the 9700 and really liked it.
    Has anyone made the switch or thinking about it?
    - Dave
    My contract with VZW ends at the end of December. If there isn't some solid release date info by then I'm jumping ship to AT&T and getting the 9700. So sick and tired of VZW lagging behind AT&T.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

I wouldn't trade VZW service, just for a phone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I am actually going back to Sprint from ATT because their service sucks. I had a 9700 for 3 days. Killer phone just ATT service is horrible.

Chris
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

This is a tough decision.
    Carpe Deim ... Celebrate your Youth
    CrackBerry Addict

remember this, the phone is only as good as the network its on, yeah the 9700 is nice, but AT&T is not

its worth the wait, trust me

Global Posts
    9,512 Global Posts
    PIN
    type mypin

I thought about it then I looked at the at&t coverage map of 3g and it doesnt thrill me anymore
    Guys/Gals when I post things I am posting to the best of my knowledge if I am for certain incorrect please correct me more knowledge to me helps. Thanks!
    http://twitter.com/sn4p2k10
    CrackBerry User

I went to an Atnt store today to check out the 9700 and the call quality was awesome compared to my Sprint Tour. I sure hope the Tour2 has better call quality. I don't think I'd jump ship back to Atnt though....too expensive for NO reason.

CrackBerry Abuser

Why are you not patient?

Verizon has a much better network than ATT. Not worth the actual jump to ATT.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ask nicely please!

I would never leave a provider for a phone.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    7,050 Global Posts
    PIN
    not applicable :)

coverage in my area

Verizon= Excellent
    ATT= hit or miss
    Sprint= hit or miss.

service before phone imho.

happy turkey day gang
    I am now Incredible

http://twitter.com/aplphoto

Same name, but at androidcentral now!

Global Posts
    6,114 Global Posts

Well I am hoping it gets released for sprint first. It would be nice to have a flagship blackberry device for once. Heck the model Sal yested was a sprint model.

CrackBerry User

Question AT&T Service with 9700 - worth it?

AT&T tells me I can try the 9700 and their service for 30days, and if I cancel in that time, I only pay for the minutes used...no other charges (including re-stocking the phone).

I'm wondering if I should try this to get a feel for the phone and if the coverage sucks, I'm only charged usage for phone and data.

If I knew Essex would be here in January or even February, I definitely would wait and stay with Sprint (works for me and is about $20 cheaper/month than VZW.

...I like the faster processor...and this is a big pull to AT&T (as long as they just don't suck to the max on coverage)

I know there are strong feelings about carriers, but would like to hear flameless thoughts.

Thanks
    CrackBerry User

What processor would the Essex have versus the 9700?! If the processor were the same and the call quality improved over the Tour1, it would be the perfect phone. I get so tired of having to repeat myself on my current Tour plus Wifi and a Trackpad would be cool. I'm also sick of cleaning my erratic trackball.

CrackBerry Addict

I'll wait for the essex, I wouldn't leave a carrier just to get a phone.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berrylate View Post
    AT&T tells me I can try the 9700 and their service for 30days, and if I cancel in that time, I only pay for the minutes used...no other charges (including re-stocking the phone).

I'm wondering if I should try this to get a feel for the phone and if the coverage sucks, I'm only charged usage for phone and data.

If I knew Essex would be here in January or even February, I definitely would wait and stay with Sprint (works for me and is about $20 cheaper/month than VZW.

...I like the faster processor...and this is a big pull to AT&T (as long as they just don't suck to the max on coverage)

I know there are strong feelings about carriers, but would like to hear flameless thoughts.

Thanks
    Do you know anyone in your area that is on ATT? That would be your best way to find out. But like you said ATT does offer a 30 day return policy. I will say the phone is awesome. I had it for 3 days and sent it back. I ordered mine the 16th, first day available for Premier customers. I returned for a couple of reasons:

1 Price - It cost me $322.00. That was my upgrade price and CS would not give me a $100 MIR. I tried repeatedly. Also my GF got hers through her work for $174.00. I know some buisness's get a better discount but damn. Now that the phone was sent back I could go get it in store with a rebate.....go figure.

2 Build quality - my screen didnt fit the bezel real well & I could see light on the right hand side and my lock/mute button was on crooked. for the price I paid it should look better IMHO. My GF's looks great.

3 Dropped calls - This was the biggest problem to me. I work in downtown St Louis and dropped at least 5 calls in 1 day in a range of places. Downtown seems to be worse for me than out in St Charles county.

On my old Sprint 8330m I had really good reception every where I went and can only count a few time I dropped a call. I am still with ATT with a 9000 and am just waiting for this new defice to come out to swith back to Sprint. There pricing is good and you get a bit more for the price. Like GPS!

So, I wait like all of you again for the latest device.

Chris
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by magredvet View Post
    I am actually going back to Sprint from ATT because their service sucks. I had a 9700 for 3 days. Killer phone just ATT service is horrible.

Chris
    i was on att there plan r too damn expense so i went to sprint got the TOUR and is 15 dollar less and do the samething..........And i get the best servise on sprint than on ATT
    BLACKBERRY TOUR THE BEST
    CrackBerry User

Default Thanks...I think I'll wait....

Thanks for the replies...they all are right on.

I'm thinking I'll wait. I am not the biggest fan of Sprint (which I have now), but the price and coverage aren't too terrible. If the Tour 2/Essex has the new processor and operating system, it will be a no brainer to stay with Sprint. If not, then I guess I'll reconsider.

I also don't like to change carriers for a phone if I can get what I need/want. It's worth waiting a little longer.

Again, thanks.

(I'm wondering if their holding off on announcements till they sell the holiday phones...duh!)
    Last edited by berrylate; 11-27-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: A follow-up: I did the math: AT&T $30 more/month than Sprint. A "free" phone ends up costing me almost $600 more in services
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Ask!

Quote Originally Posted by vassili95 View Post
    Been really tempted: YES

Just saw the 69.99 offer and I'm really beeing patient for the Essex.
    The only thing that makes me think is that I received on early 2 yr upgrade for a smartphone. Valid unitl Jan 2010.

We will see.
    Wirefly.com is selling the ATT Bold2 9700 for free on black Friday. ($30 for ATT upgrade). I got mine yesterday...it is sweeeeeeet! Had no problems with ATT coverage and I travel quite a bit for work.....good luck. but bold 2 beats Tour 2 any day including Thanksgiving! Gobble Gobble!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I will wait for the tour 2 I actually love the tour one. I would never go back to ATT that network stinks no matter what they say

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bitterspeak View Post
    Why are you not patient?

Verizon has a much better network than ATT. Not worth the actual jump to ATT.
    It's hard to be patient with the crappy and outdated Tour when AT&T has the 9700.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    Crack Kills

I recently canceled my plan with at&t in order to give the storm 2 and verizon a try. Storm was nice and all but I needed a physical keyboard so i traded it four the tour. Unfortunately i live in the 1st floor/Basement and service sucks badly, i'm constantly getting missed and dropped calls, a problem i never had with at&t. I'm not bashing verizon because their service is phenomenal every where else but i guess my apartment isn't worth verizons service. I am most definitely going back with at&t and getting the 9700.
    To the British, I'm Ghandi
    To the Japanese I'm an American pilot flyin over Nagasaki
    To the AIDS patient I'm your last antibody
    Sittin and waitin for a cure from modern biology
    CrackBerry User

Love the 9700 Bold but ATT is a no go in SoCal.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast