Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. expidia's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    389 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default 4 G service?

    So does this mean current 9650 owners will be able to access 4 G service when it's available?

    Or will we have to upgrade to another device?

    Thx
  2. Snipperdo17's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    993 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Does what mean we will be able to?
    Either way the answer is no you need a new device with a lte chip
  3. pcgizmo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

    Posts
    5,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO
    #3  

    Default

    LTE devices are 4G, Bold is 3G
  4. expidia's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    389 Posts
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snipperdo17 View Post
    Does what mean we will be able to?
    Either way the answer is no you need a new device with a lte chip
    Thx, I figured that. Oh well. Only 10 months now to my next 1 year upgrade
  5. Romman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    By then RIM should have at least one 4G device to satisfy customers. otherwise many will move to Droid.
  6. gordongr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    594 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2
    #6  

    Default

    I have a Sprint 3g/4g wireless card & so far I am not impressed at all with 4g. I travel all over the country & where I do get 4g its sometimes very very fast like Houston is the fastest speed ive seen yet but other areas like say Amarillo & several others I actually have to switch the card over to 3g for better speed. I know its a fairly new technology so I will keep my fingers crossed but from my experience so far, I wouldnt be running out to grab a 4g device of any kind just because it says 4g doesnt always mean its better.
  7. cbreze's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,207 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Yeah, well it is still brand new and I'm in the Phoenix area and last I heard sprint hadn't even touched any part of the metro area. Verizon from what I've read will be the more agressive of the carriers and will most likely surpass sprint in coverage very quickly. They have around 35 cities to have the coverage by years end, of course no enabled phones to go with it. Air cards first, phones later in mid 2011. They were saying something about a 4G BB by mid 2011 also. What I was reading mentioned the issue with size of device and battery drawdown being a prob. Maybe sprints evo was designed big for a reason. So the diff articles I was reading said they are working on the size issue caused by the new technology before devices will be more readily available. Also went on to say LTE is headed to be more of a worldwide standard than wi-max which sprint is using. Meaning in the future we will be able to use our verizon phones overseas with less issue on the various LTE networks. Verizons footprint for LTE, they claim will be completely out there by 2013-14. Now all we have to worry about is the pricing structure.
    I got this info from an Arizona Republic business tech writer who was just rewriting the same info I had already seen from various tech stuff that I get via email. Just passing it along, FWIW.
  8. jguidera's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordongr View Post
    I have a Sprint 3g/4g wireless card & so far I am not impressed at all with 4g. I travel all over the country & where I do get 4g its sometimes very very fast like Houston is the fastest speed ive seen yet but other areas like say Amarillo & several others I actually have to switch the card over to 3g for better speed. I know its a fairly new technology so I will keep my fingers crossed but from my experience so far, I wouldnt be running out to grab a 4g device of any kind just because it says 4g doesnt always mean its better.
    Sprint WIMAX and Verizon LTE definitely not the same thing, so I wouldn't take your experience with Sprint's service to be indicative of what you'll experience in a market where Verizon lights up LTE.
  9. Mystic205's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,646 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me..
    #9  

    Default

    i do expect the experience to be the same as a new rollout is a new rollout... it takes years to get a full and solid footprint..

    Quote Originally Posted by jguidera View Post
    Sprint WIMAX and Verizon LTE definitely not the same thing, so I wouldn't take your experience with Sprint's service to be indicative of what you'll experience in a market where Verizon lights up LTE.
  10. Mamaluka's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,626 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH A LOAF
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystic205 View Post
    i do expect the experience to be the same as a new rollout is a new rollout... it takes years to get a full and solid footprint..
    I agree 100% here. AT&T still hasn't perfected/ fully rolled out 3G service. Firstly, most all new berrys on AT&T OS's have the 3G/2G option. Then there are huge areas in NY State that only get EDGE and massive loss of 3G signals while roaming around the 5 Boroughs. What will make 4G any different? Nada. It will be a bigger mess than 3g in my opinion. Which raises a question, will the new 4G device OS'es offer the option to roll over to 3G and also down to 2G? I would hope so, otherwise nobody from Tuxedo, NY to Port Jervis (about 60 miles) will have any service whatsoever.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  11. gordongr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    594 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2
    #11  

    Default

    I was using Sprint wireless cards before there was even 3g & when they started rolling out 3g they did so amazingly fast. When I 1rst got this 3g/4g card they were only in 20 markets on 4g now they are in over 50. Its not the rollout that scares me, its the technology thats scaring me.
    I do worry that a lot of people are all fired up to get 4g & will be hugely disappointed. I doubt Verizons will any better but time will tell. Everyone seems to be in a race to push out 4g & we all get screwed as a result
  12. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,512 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,524 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    #12  

    Default

    The 9650 obviously doesn't use WiMax cuz your bill didn't go up $10 a month when you bought it
  13. TheEagle19's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I bought the 4g/3g mobile hotspot directly from clear and am loving it, why add another line to my sprint acct and have a contract? this is certainly the way to go.
  14. broadwayblues's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    The 9650 obviously doesn't use WiMax cuz your bill didn't go up $10 a month when you bought it
    This is pure win!
  15. gordongr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    594 Posts
    Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    PIN
    76A74FF2
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayblues View Post
    This is pure win!
    yes & its also kinda weird that on the 4g/3g card my bill didnt go up & you get truly unlimited on 4g side & 5 gig cap on 3g side but bill doesnt change

Posting Permissions