Hi everyone
    I am a very, very happy new Bold user � had mine for 4 days now and am so happy. Have come from SE Symbian (soooo slow) and tried iPhone and HTC Touch HD, but they feel like toys compared... Battery life on the Bold is scary but I'll put up with that!
    Eager to download as much as poss immediately, I have already added PocketDay start and Viigo. Also added some new free themes and here lies the problem...
    Even though I have reverted back to the standard theme that came with the fone, the handset has slowed right down and I keep getting the 'timer' face sometimes even when in mid SMS. Perhaps it's a buggy theme mucking up the memory?
    There doesn't seem an obvious way to delete the non-standard themes, or am I missing something...?
    Thanks for your help in advance!
    02-09-09 08:32 AM
    Do a battery pull after any theme changes.
    02-09-09 08:35 AM
    berrys slow down when the memory starts getting chewed up by programs. viigo is more than likely your culprit. try a battery pull, that should give you a quick fix. at some point if it continues, you might try tp uninstall viigo and see if that helps.
    02-09-09 08:36 AM
    Viigo is a known memory leaker. Set the automatic updates and move to background on close to OFF.

To delete the unwanted themes:
    Menu - Options - Advanced Options - Applications - Highlight the theme you wanna remove and select the Delete option from the menu.

What OS are you on? Don't rush to upgrade the OS, take some time to be familiar with the device and do an upgrade when you feel comfortable. Battery life and file free memory improved a lot on the latest releases ....

Welcome to CB!
    Last edited by ST79; 02-10-09 at 07:43 AM.
    02-09-09 10:23 AM
    try a battery pull first.
    i do that whenever i install and run a new theme.

to delete themes u installed, go to Options/Advanced Options/Applications.
    Find the theme that you want to delete, hit the Menu button and click delete.
    02-09-09 10:35 PM
    Wait, upgrade the OS. You will get inproved mem and batt life.
    02-10-09 06:09 AM
    i'm not really a newbee but not a pro...yet i'm having trouble deleting the system default themes i've used and abused every byte of storage on my BB 8100 and would like to try to bring it above the 20mb free mark they "tell you to keep open" i'm at 15 right now. and just got done building my own theme that i like more than those provided... any help clearing up those would be appreciated. or all but one incase it acts up
    02-23-09 01:53 AM
    cmisak - i think you gotta leave one of the default themes on the device. if not the rest of the 3rd party themes cant work. cant remember if it is the zen or dimension

anyway if u want to remove the other themes (system themes included) u can check out crackmem

it lets us choose to delete system themes but leaves behind the one needed
    02-23-09 04:06 AM
    I have both default themes puls 4 more 3rd party themes at any given time and I stay aroung 45mb after heavy usage and 54mb after battery pull. If you are dropping down to 20-30mb then it's not the default themes. It has to be a program.
    02-23-09 05:37 AM
    I'm 100% confident its a program, but i'm trying to scrape together every last kilobyte until the day i get either the storm or a G1 or equivalent but after having my berry and playing with friends G1 it will be hard to switch the Iphone on the other hand is too much of a toy to be considered.

thanks for the responses! and I'll take a look at crackmem!
    02-23-09 11:22 PM
    I have both default themes puls 4 more 3rd party themes at any given time and I stay aroung 45mb after heavy usage and 54mb after battery pull. If you are dropping down to 20-30mb then it's not the default themes. It has to be a program.
    I'm curious how do you keep around 45-55mb free?? i just did a FRESH install using CrackMem to clear out the junk and only have 33 free?
    02-24-09 01:48 AM
    I'm curious how do you keep around 45-55mb free?? i just did a FRESH install using CrackMem to clear out the junk and only have 33 free?
    buddy, 33mb is really quite sufficient. so long as the irritating clock doesn't show up too often and the UI isn't laggy; you're fine.

what you can do now is to make sure you close off your apps properly.
    02-24-09 03:33 AM
    pal,

No I'm aware 33 is fine that was before any programs were installed i have 18-20 after a battery pull, now. drops to 14-16 if i have gmail and other apps open.

i was asking how on earth the guy is keeping with so much free memory. because the basic OS nothing! else using CrackMem i couldn't get close to that number. I'm curious because there might be more i can do to free up ALOT of mem from the OS or other stuff.

I have a 2gb SDmicro and there isn't anything stored on the phone itself.... if i need to take this to a different post i can
    02-24-09 12:52 PM
    Previous post wasn't intended to diss u. No offense yea

If it is dropping to less than 20mb then I agree something has to be done
    I see that u have viigo. Do you happen to have facebook as well?
    These apps are known to chew up memory
    Delete them and monitor for a few days.

Languages wise? Do u have multiple languages installed?

Of coz, I am sure the os build is the most relevant factor. I was getting about 18mb on .162
    Now on .237 and it is about 37mb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by danielx; 02-24-09 at 01:17 PM.
    02-24-09 12:58 PM
    33 is low if you have no other programs installed and it's right after a battery pull...
    02-24-09 01:00 PM
    i'm on OS 4.5.0.174 which equates to platform
    * Applications: 4.5.0.124
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.92
    i'm using a pearl 8100 from t-mobile

not sure it that was made clear i noticed i've stumbled upon a 9000 forum. so maybe thats the problem but i would still take advice.

I did just! try Viigo, so i'm okay losing that which was the largest install.. will pull that tonight. i used CrackMem to clean out the junk and also during install made sure that no other languages were installed except English. no facebook app.

danielx, you just caught me after a friendly chat with a tech support individual that called me "kid" in a derogatory manor so my apologies as well! i'll get out my "jump to conclusions mat" office space ref.
    02-24-09 11:18 PM
    I have a bb pearl 8100 with os 4.2, how can I install os 4.5. I can not view any videos. I'm new with this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 06:50 PM
    there is a thread on this in the 8100 forums.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/newe...nguage-138241/
    03-01-09 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD